Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Tonka

Ribbon - Lace Plates

Featured Posts

Hi there, I / we have quite a few lace plates which we think we would like to value and then possibly sell. Where would be the best place to find a value for the plates and then where would be the best place to advertise the plates. Hoping the forum can Help. Also not sure which part of the forum to put this request. Moderators please feel free to move to the correct place. Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These plates are nowhere near as popular as they used to be. When I worked on the boats in the late 1970's / early 1980's they could mainly be bought from Antique establishments and I recall buying several from Birmingham Antiques Market for in excess of £20 each, Ebay shows a very different position now with them selling for a few quid each. Much will depend on whether the plates are old or modern, and then you need to find somebody who likes / wants them. Unless they are something special I would be reluctant to pay more than a pound each as it will cost more in postage or collection costs than they are worth. I have recently acquired about thirty plates (in two batches) for nothing :captain: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lockside Antiques are selling ribbon plates ranging from circa £12 to ones £28 plus!

 

http://www.lockside-antiques.co.uk/Ribbon_Plates.html

 

The last time I looked at the shop at Braunston Lock the asking price was £18 - £20ish.

 

Both of the above I think are ambitious in today's market.

 

Examples from eBay:

 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xribbon+plates.TRS0&_nkw=ribbon+plates&_sacat=0

 

I have some from "my" narrowboat captains sister but to me they are priceless because of the connection.

Edited by Ray T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try Michal Porter either Back Cabin antiques or at Jordans in Hemel Hempsted. 01442 263451   As said above I believe the market is rather depressed at the mo.

N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Try Michal Porter either Back Cabin antiques or at Jordans in Hemel Hempsted.As said above I believe the market is rather depressed at the mo.

N

The above is assuming the plates in question are older high quality (German ?) examples :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As people have already said, Lace Edge plates are no longer sought after. I sold most of my old plates to various people at the Braunston Historic Boat show earlier this year, Most of them were the German high quality traditional type with pictures of mainly seaside resorts with "A pesent from...." in gold writing on them. They sold for something like £3 or £4 each, with a discount for quantities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Try Michal Porter either Back Cabin antiques or at Jordans in Hemel Hempsted. 01442 263451   As said above I believe the market is rather depressed at the mo.

N

I did not realise Michael Porter was still trading

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has a whole antiques centre of his own!   Though not entirely stocked with his stuff.

 

 

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

As people have already said, Lace Edge plates are no longer sought after. I sold most of my old plates to various people at the Braunston Historic Boat show earlier this year, Most of them were the German high quality traditional type with pictures of mainly seaside resorts with "A pesent from...." in gold writing on them. They sold for something like £3 or £4 each, with a discount for quantities.

I think the market for imitation trad back cabins in clonecraft has gone quiet and with it went much of the market for cabin accoutrements.  Handy though if you have a cabin and nothing to decorate it yet.

 

N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The market for these isn't there, no one was interested when we tried to sell Dad's 50 plates a couple of years ago.

they ended up at auction and fetched about £20, you just have to wait for times to change again

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tonka said:

Hi there, I / we have quite a few lace plates which we think we would like to value and then possibly sell. Where would be the best place to find a value for the plates and then where would be the best place to advertise the plates. Hoping the forum can Help. Also not sure which part of the forum to put this request. Moderators please feel free to move to the correct place. Thank you

So how many do you have, and are they old or modern (photo's) :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

So how many do you have, and are they old or modern (photo's) :captain:

Hi there Pete we are in the process of cataloguing and photographing

38 minutes ago, BEngo said:

He has a whole antiques centre of his own!   Though not entirely stocked with his stuff.

 

 

I think the market for imitation trad back cabins in clonecraft has gone quiet and with it went much of the market for cabin accoutrements.  Handy though if you have a cabin and nothing to decorate it yet.

 

N

We have a back cabin but cant stand the constant chinkle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Tonka said:

We have a back cabin but cant stand the constant chinkle

When they are hung they should overlap but not touch, and when hung correctly there is no 'chinkle' even when the boat is miss-handled :captain:

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

We are up to 168 and no plates newer then 1984 re-opening of Blisworth

You have quite a few then, but when I say old I mean antique(ish) :captain:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, pete harrison said:

When they are hung they should overlap but not touch, and when hung correctly there is no 'chinkle' even when the boat is miss-handled :captain:

You have quite a few then, but when I say old I mean antique(ish) :captain:

A fair few are Schuman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mr Bray called them shilling plates because that’s apparently what they cost in Woolworths. Seems they are not worth much more now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Mr Bray called them shilling plates because that’s apparently what they cost in Woolworths. Seems they are not worth much more now

I'm not surprised, have you tried to eat a stew out of one. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I visited a friend recently whose late husband was well respected in the 'historic' narrow boat world, although she knows little of boating and boating ways. Imagine my surprise when lunchtime sandwiches were served on lace plates - but at least there were no ribbons in them :captain:

 

edit = after lunch I did explain how these plates were used, and 'hanging up' plates is a term I am familiar with and is most appropriate in relation to canal boats.

Edited by pete harrison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.