Boat sunk, by Stag Party?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

Just now, Athy said:

Therefore to you, it/they is/are the "nicest". Arthur's adjective is open to interpretation, of course.

Agreed. Arthur however, is applying his own standards to someone else’s choices. He cannot know if the chap chooses to live on this boat because he likes the crusty hippy lifestyle, or is forced to. I suspect the former  but I dont know either.  

7 hours ago, DandV said:

...Logically, pursuing  pure economic performance requires discarding those with no potential to make an economic contribution. Euthanasia by neglect.   ...   More compassion is required in our world.

The whole of our evolved world is based on the principle that the weak are eliminated by the pressures of the world and by competition, from tiniest creatures upwards.  We as human beings are able to exercise concepts such as compassion only because these are "the good times" when we ourselves are not under severe pressures from the world.

With compassion the weak and the divergent from the norm will multiply even more than is normal for "good times".

The good times will not last forever and then we will only be able to practice compassion if we are extremely well prepared for the bad times.  For this humanity as a whole has to be working together now to get ready.  We need to get in a position where we are able to practice compassion on a truly global scale, soon.

When the future gets really bad such as a 10 year volcanic winter, it may be that the fittest to survive are found amongst those that appear to be weak now.

Not that this has much to do with an individual situation where insufficient information is a available.

[No Brexiteers were harmed in the preparation of this post.]

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I gave to say this is complete bobbins. I can afford to live in far nicer accommodation than a canal boat but choose the boat because I like it. I suspect a lot of posters here and boat dwellers in general are in the same position. I was even evicted from my first boat home by a council saying our boats must be hovels and we should not be allowed to live in them. Same high handed arrogance. It is not for you to dictate where someone else may or may not choose to live. 

Indeed.

We could live in a far nicer area and a far nicer house. Bit we have chosen not too as we don't plan to be in a house forever. So the money saved on higher mortgage payments is better off squirreled away for later use.

3 minutes ago, gunsmoke said:

Not 'crusty hippy' - 'traveller'.     Travellers are not 'hippies'.    Their origin is in the 'punk' subculture, completely different.   Arthur lives in a dreamworld where his preferred truth holds sway and everything else is an '-ism'. 

True, I can see that now you point it out. But it’s hair-splitting. My point was that forcing ‘help’ onto a person who doesn’t want it never ends well and often turns ugly very quickly. 

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

True, I can see that now you point it out. But it’s hair-splitting. My point was that forcing ‘help’ onto a person who doesn’t want it never ends well and often turns ugly very quickly. 

More ugly than a pair of semi sunk boats?

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

More ugly than a pair of semi sunk boats?

Yes. A lot more ugly. 

And provided they are licenced and move at round, what’s the problem with them being ‘semi sunk’ (whatever that means) or ugly? Your boat is no oil painting either. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

I have no idea but certainly the yards that do hire to same sex groups on the Broads attach much larger damage deposits to these groups. Not that that seems to discourage them.

However it has to be said that the Broads are actively policed by both Navigation Rangers, 2 per river per day so anything in the way of nortiness which is reported is acted on immediately plus there are patrols by the Norfolk Constabulary Broads Beat boats.

I have first hand knowledge of the rapid response to trouble having lived there for 10 years 

More than once I've seen hire boats corralled and crews turned off. More than once I've had response to my phone call resulting in damage to one of my boats being inspected and paid for. 

On the Broads there is no escape from retribution but on the cut the chances of being brought to book are slim to say the least 

Phil 

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What reports? The only ‘local report’ I’ve seen in this thread says the boat does move around.  

That was from a newspaper, and was subsequently denied somewhere on this thread. If you think I';m going to plough through the 180 + posts trying to find it....I got work to do, and dealing with those TEN new threads in Chinese has not advanced my schedule.:D

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

That was from a newspaper, and was subsequently denied somewhere on this thread. If you think I';m going to plough through the 180 + posts trying to find it....I got work to do, and dealing with those TEN new threads in Chinese has not advanced my schedule.:D

You should get some more mods in to help!!

Plenty of unanswered applications in Dan's in box, by all accounts.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

24 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. A lot more ugly. 

And provided they are licenced and move at round, what’s the problem with them being ‘semi sunk’ (whatever that means) or ugly? Your boat is no oil painting either. 

Local reports seem to suggest they have not moved for at least three years. Which given their derelict state seems quite plausible. After all if a passing boat causes it to sink how could it move of its own accord without sinking?

Our boat may not be an oil painting in your eyes but neither is it overstaying on a section of canal that could be used by someone legitimately trying to cruise it.

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What reports? The only ‘local report’ I’ve seen in this thread says the boat does move around.  

How did it move about without sinking if a passing boat was enough to sink it?

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You should get some more mods in to help!!

Plenty of unanswered applications in Dan's in box, by all accounts.

"All" accounts may be mistaken. Certainly there have been recent applications.

25 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You mean, there are others apart from Athy? :)

All right Guv, 'ow much do you want? Used fivers O.K?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That'll be me. I live nearby and he hasn't moved for at least two years. His boat would have probably sunk if he had tried to move it. The other boat he has is in far better condition.

15 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

That'll be me. I live nearby and he hasn't moved for at least two years. His boat would have probably sunk if he had tried to move it. The other boat he has is in far better condition.

Ok so two contradicting reports. Another poster in this thread says he's seen it in two different locations.

I now find myself wondering why he 'lives' on the sinker, and does not just move onto the boat in far better condition

3 hours ago, howardang said:

I agree, and I think it is totally irrelevant. Like many discussions on here, the original reason for raising the point was to point out some alleged unacceptable behaviour by a couple of boats. Very quickly, this has changed emphasis to a disection of someones lifestyle, which I would suggest is of no concern to us. By forensically analysing the innocent victim we are in danger of losing the main point, which in my mind is trying to stop hire companies hiring out boats to unsuitable groups. 

Howard

Without the sinking though (which seems to have been inevitable), the original complaint barely goes above some people being twats, with some bad steering skills. 

Should some examples of actual bad behaviour be cause to ban a whole group of people hiring or using boats? I personally would be happy with a bylaws three strikes you're out on canal use, might quickly cause a lot of people to have their licenses revoked though.

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ok so two contradicting reports. Another poster in this thread says he's seen it in two different locations.

I now find myself wondering why he 'lives' on the sinker, and does not just move onto the boat in far better condition

Would that, I wonder, be the boat with the cratch/ deckboard, just beyond the wreck? The latter is in such a state that it's hard to tell from thepicture whether it's one long boat or a longer and a shorter one.

4 minutes ago, gunsmoke said:

If you want to understand the reasons for the ruination of the itinerant life on the waterways over the past 20 years or so you should understand what is meant by New Age Traveller, New Traveller, Traveller and Bargee Traveller.  Most people have no idea.  Most people do no research, do more drinking than thinking and make ill informed comments 'off the top of their heads'.

I don't feel that my comment is ill-informed. Travellers are people who move around, as indicated by your description of them as "itinerant". So, if this fellow and his boat have not moved for two years, or three years, he hasn't been travelling.

Drinking and thinking are not mutually exclusive, though an increase in the former tends to lead to modification of the latter.

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

if they are choosing a nice place tolive (boat) why do they bespoil by covering the boat in elsans, bags of rubbish and scrap.

cleaning up costs nothing,nor does mopping off ; keeping exits clear may save your life when your poor maintenance lets the boat sink or go on fire.

Have you never been on the point of throwing something away and then thought, no, I'll keep it because it may come in useful? I certainly have, but as I live in a house with a garage, a loft and a shed, it's easier to stow such things away (and on occasion they HAVE come in useful). If one lives on  boat, places to store such items are far less plentiful, so the roof is often the only option, I would imagine.

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

Have you never been on the point of throwing something away and then thought, no, I'll keep it because it may come in useful? I certainly have, but as I live in a house with a garage, a loft and a shed, it's easier to stow such things away (and on occasion they HAVE come in useful). If one lives on  boat, places to store such items are far less plentiful, so the roof is often the only option, I would imagine.

I find that I'm more ruthless when disposing of items on the boat than I am in a house and comfortably live aboard without using the roof space for any storage.