Kitchen Appliances

Peter009

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

This is where I do my standard spiel:  I have 

standard 60cm freestanding gas cooker (2 ovens inc grill, hob)

gas water heater (Morco)

gas fridge (Dometic)

gas tumble dryer (White Knight)

I use cold wash on a 7kg slim Candy GOFS washing machine and take hot wash stuff (rarely) to my house.

I would recommend gas provided that it is correctly installed and maintained, and operated by people with commonsense.

I never knew there was a gas tumble dryer this is really interested thanks for this 

22 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

This is where I do my standard spiel:  I have 

standard 60cm freestanding gas cooker (2 ovens inc grill, hob)

gas water heater (Morco)

gas fridge (Dometic)

gas tumble dryer (White Knight)

I use cold wash on a 7kg slim Candy GOFS washing machine and take hot wash stuff (rarely) to my house.

I would recommend gas provided that it is correctly installed and maintained, and operated by people with commonsense.

Gas ecofan?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

, Zanussi KWC1300W washer. Reliable. Smaller, quiet.

Runs on a thermostat so it fills with 40 degree water, happy on a 1800 watt inverter provided I leave a light on to keep the inverter on line and not in power save mode else it pauses in the spin cycle.

But no longer made. Current one won't work with some inverters. 

On 25/09/2018 at 12:48, Mike Hurley said:

Do you have gas in your house?

That comment alarms me somewhat because it indicates you might be unaware of the inherent hazards of using LPG on boats. If that's the case here's why: 

Most houses use natural gas which has the same density as air so small gas leaks can dissipate and will escape through vents, open windows, cracks in doors, etc. Bigger natural gas leaks which don't dissipate can of course still cause explosions. LPG is denser and heavier than the air so leaking gas will sink. In houses and caravans that usually means it will find its way outside eventually, but on a boat that won't happen. On a boat even small LPG leaks will sink and accumulate in the bilges. 

In purely practical terms gas makes a lot of sense for cooking on boats, but we do need to be aware of what we are doing and in terms of safety it's not the same as having gas in a house. 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

On 28/09/2018 at 00:04, blackrose said:

"

That comment alarms me somewhat because it indicates you might be unaware of the inherent hazards of using LPG on boats. If that's the case here's why: 

>>>>

On a boat even small LPG leaks will sink and accumulate in the bilges. 

In purely practical terms gas makes a lot of sense for cooking on boats, but we do need to be aware of what we are doing and in terms of safety it's not the same as having gas in a house." 

I fully agree

At home and in my restaurant I cook with Gas, nothing better, BUT on the boat I cook induction, because it is safer.  Much safer

Do I prefer cooking on gas, yes, but I am willing to live with the limitation of electric cooking.

On 28/09/2018 at 00:04, blackrose said:

On 28/09/2018 at 05:04, blackrose said:

Most houses use natural gas which has the same density as air so small gas leaks can dissipate and will escape through vents, open windows, cracks in doors, etc. Bigger natural gas leaks which don't dissipate can of course still cause explosions. LPG is denser and heavier than the air so leaking gas will sink. In houses and caravans that usually means it will find its way outside eventually, but on a boat that won't happen. On a boat even small LPG leaks will sink and accumulate in the bilges. 

In purely practical terms gas makes a lot of sense for cooking on boats, but we do need to be aware of what we are doing and in terms of safety it's not the same as having gas in a house. 

Hi I agree that people need to be aware of the dangers of gas and for that matter electricity in a boat, whatever we do decide on which is likely LPG due to how we want to use the boat safety will be the priority in all cases as nothing should leak and I will ensure this is fitted by a proper engineer that knows what he or she is doing as we are well aware of how dangerous it can be the last thing we want to do is sink the boat or have worse happen, thanks for bringing that up though it very important and is a reminder to me of making sure that a fully qualified fitter does the installation thanks

On 25/09/2018 at 10:31, Peter009 said:

Bit worried about gas in the boat but at the same time dont want to be reliant on shorepower if cruising for months on end which is what we want to do eventually will have solar when we can afford it as well

Just seen this on YouTube that you may be interested in if you don’t want gas and diesel is a bit too much..   

Here is the stove, https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/food-and-beverage/cooking/cookers-ranges/dometic-origo-6000-_-20494.  There about £1k to purchase.

I'm sure Mike Hurley is well aware of the potential dangers associated with LPG but I think he was only drawing attention to the fact that house have gas and (guessing here) if you were to look at the stats boats are less prone to explode than houses 

Phil 

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I wonder if there are BSS rules for alcohol fuel storage.. Alcohol as a fuel I suspect could actually be more dangerous than LPG, since it will run down like a liquid whilst at the same time giving off flammable vapours. LPG outside the bottle is only a flammable vapour albeit heavier than air.

On our boat we only use gas for cooking, one gas pipe from the gas locker to the cooker. Cooker has flame failure shut off. Pretty safe.  Or you could have hundreds of amps in batteries, hydrogen gas given off when charging, huge expense and lots of heavy cables that could possibly chafe through. We always turn the electric off when we leave the boat even if its just walking the dog for 10 minutes. I am much more fearful of electrical fires than gas leaks and I would reckon that there are more car, house and boat fires caused by electrical fires than gas (And don't even mention solid fuel stoves) Anyway, you could always turn the gas off at the bottle overnight.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Just seen this on YouTube that you may be interested in if you don’t want gas and diesel is a bit too much..   

Here is the stove, https://www.dometic.com/en-gb/uk/products/food-and-beverage/cooking/cookers-ranges/dometic-origo-6000-_-20494.  There about £1k to purchase.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

Wow never knew these existed but probably not for us if we had friends around they would drink all the fuel so never get any cooking done :)

15 minutes ago, Bee said:

On our boat we only use gas for cooking, one gas pipe from the gas locker to the cooker. Cooker has flame failure shut off. Pretty safe.  Or you could have hundreds of amps in batteries, hydrogen gas given off when charging, huge expense and lots of heavy cables that could possibly chafe through. We always turn the electric off when we leave the boat even if its just walking the dog for 10 minutes. I am much more fearful of electrical fires than gas leaks and I would reckon that there are more car, house and boat fires caused by electrical fires than gas (And don't even mention solid fuel stoves) Anyway, you could always turn the gas off at the bottle overnight.

Hi I think this is the way we are going with just one pipe to the cooker for us this is the best option too thanks