Autumn Morning at Cromwell Lock

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

42 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Bad press  about what?

The river is a 'killer'.

The number of people (in addition to the 10 soldiers) who have been sept over the weir.

10 soldiers in 1975

A pair of Anglers in a small boat in 2012.

1981. A hire boat with a family of four (2 children and 2 adults) both adults drowned

The 100m long weir at Cromwell (Figure 1), is curved in plan and has a fall of 3m. The crest of the weir is sharp with a steep apron, ending in a submerged toe wall. Objects passing over the crest are generally retained in the turbulance, giving rise to the local name of the weir, Witches Cauldron.

The recommendations following these accidents was that the CEVNI regulations should be applied to 'larger' Inland Waterways - they never have been.

Lessons to be Learned
Comprehensive uniformally recognised signing of hazards on navigations such as the River Trent can dramatically reduce accidents. Personally, I believe CEVNI, either as set out, or in composite form, should be adopted universally, (except for size variations for smaller navigations), on all Inland Waters, Channels not in open sea, and Marinas where craft manoeuvre at close quarters.
It is incumbent on those responsible for the operation or engineering of navigations not to presume the familiarity of boaters with the navigation, and to make an effort to understand the needs, particularly with regard to the safety of pleasure craft

Passing the CEVNI test is compulsory in Europe and is in addition to the ICC (International Certificate of Competence)

http://searegs.co.uk/cevni/

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But not if you are a hirer

Beat me to it.

Nor presumably if you are in the military on an excercise.

Or a Fisher person in a small boat.

Edited by MJG

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Oh just the usual nonsense about the " Tidal Trent " ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The river is a 'killer'.

I see .

Potentially dangerous in the wrong hands.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Passing the CEVNI test is compulsory in Europe and is in addition to the ICC (International Certificate of Competence)

Do you think that would be  a benefit if it was  introduced for inland waterways in the UK ? 

12 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Do you think that would be  a benefit if it was  introduced for inland waterways in the UK ? 

I've got splinters in my Bum (from sitting on the fence)

On balance I feel it may well have benefits - at least the 'rules' (sound signals etc) would be known by the vast majority of users.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

On balance I feel it may well have benefits - at least the 'rules' (sound signals etc) would be known by the vast majority of users.

Introducing a need for an  ICC  would certainly reduce river traffic for a while !

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've got splinters in my Bum (from sitting on the fence)

And what exactly is the sound signal for "Help - I'm being dragged over a wier?" ?

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, MartynG said:

Introducing a need for an  ICC  would certainly reduce river traffic for a while !

I don't think it would. People would just ignore the requirement. Much as they do with the ABP requirements further down the river.

7 minutes ago, cuthound said:

And what exactly is the sound signal for "Help - I'm being dragged over a wier?" ?

HELP?

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

I believe it begins with F then has a few U's and ends with K

or at least that's the sound you'd hear from me.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

I believe it begins with F then has a few U's and ends with K

or at least that's the sound you'd hear from me.

Apparently the commonest final word on the cockpit voice recorder of a downed plane is “Sh1t!”.

Slightly :offtopic: Have just discovered the fly on the wall documentaries on Beeb 2 about the RNLI, Saving lives at sea. Those do bring home how quickly you can go from “all hunky dorey” to “minutes to live”.

4 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Apparently the commonest final word on the cockpit voice recorder of a downed plane is “Sh1t!”.

Slightly :offtopic: Have just discovered the fly on the wall documentaries on Beeb 2 about the RNLI, Saving lives at sea. Those do bring home how quickly you can go from “all hunky dorey” to “minutes to live”.

That programme always brings home how lucky we have been sometimes. Great programme that really does highlight what a great service the RNLI provide.

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

That programme always brings home how lucky we have been sometimes. Great programme that really does highlight what a great service the RNLI provide.

The Solomon browne and the way they made the ultimate sacrifice says it all.