Any idea what kind of paint this is?

Featured Posts

I know this is a bit of a long shot (asking people about paint from photos), but does anyone know what kind of paint this is on the sides of my GRP?

I'm hoping that maybe next year I can scrape it off and paint it, but I'm not sure if that's enamel, household gloss (I doubt it), or is it anti-fouling or some other special type of paint?

IMG_20180811_124639.jpg

IMG_20180811_124608.jpg

IMG_20180811_124556.jpg

9 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

I knew there was another type I forgot to mention in my list.  :D

How long does gelcoat usually last?

Gelcoat isn't a paint, and should last many decades if undamaged. (I'm not sure if that is gelcoat in your pic though) 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Gelcoat isn't a paint, and should last many decades if undamaged. (I'm not sure if that is gelcoat in your pic though) 

To me gloss paint always feels a bit rubbery, that paint doesn't feel that way. Hence, why I don't think it's gloss. Might be enamel?

3 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

The paint seems to be deciding that of its own accord...

I would try and determine the condition of the gelcoat beneath (if it has been painted that is), and if that gelcoat can be polished back to a reasonable condition without the need to repaint, if the remaining "paint" can be removed without damage.

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I would try and determine the condition of the gelcoat beneath (if it has been painted that is), and if that gelcoat can be polished back to a reasonable condition without the need to repaint, if the remaining "paint" can be removed without damage.

Looking back on some old emails from the previous owner, it seems the previous owner to him had painted over the gelcoat. With what? I've no idea.

I could certainly wait for it all to fall off. :D

I doubt the current coat will come off without problems. That'd make things easy. Can't have that.

7 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Looking back on some old emails from the previous owner, it seems the previous owner to him had painted over the gelcoat. With what? I've no idea.

I could certainly wait for it all to fall off. :D

I doubt the current coat will come off without problems. That'd make things easy. Can't have that.

Try giving the bit you can see a polish. With luck it will come up shiny and scratch free. Worth a try!

ETA.Oh, just saw you reckon it won't come off:mellow:

Edited by rusty69

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Try giving the bit you can see a polish. With luck it will come up shiny and scratch free. Worth a try!

ETA.Oh, just saw you reckon it won't come off:mellow:

There are a couple of areas where probably it's gelcoat showing through. I could give them a try. What do you polish gelcoat with?

I doubt the rest will easily come off. That'd be too good to be true.  :D

Just now, ronnietucker said:

There are a couple of areas where probably it's gelcoat showing through. I could give them a try. What do you polish gelcoat with?

I doubt the rest will easily come off. That'd be too good to be true.  :D

Probably not worth it then if you reckon the rest won't come off. 

Lots of videos on youtube re polishing gelcoat if you get to that stage

I used gel paintstripper https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/marine-strip/ to remove 40 years of antifouling off my yogurt pot.   smear it on, cover with cling film (painters buy big rolls to protect floors etc.) and leave for 24hrs.  most of the paint will come away with a jetwash.  repeat until only the hard bits are left, then use scrapers carefully to remove the last vestiges.  then abrade lightly with 120 grit by hand.  I used one coat of Hempel multicote - good as new.  

3 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

I used gel paintstripper https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/product/marine-strip/ to remove 40 years of antifouling off my yogurt pot.   smear it on, cover with cling film (painters buy big rolls to protect floors etc.) and leave for 24hrs.  most of the paint will come away with a jetwash.  repeat until only the hard bits are left, then use scrapers carefully to remove the last vestiges.  then abrade lightly with 120 grit by hand.  I used one coat of Hempel multicote - good as new.  

Did that take it right back to the bare fibreglass? I have some Toplac undercoat and Snow White I could use for it.

I'm thinking maybe next summer (why do I always think of these things AFTER the right time?!!) I'll get her out of the water, fix the external paint and do anti-fouling at the same time.

Years ago,the wisdom of painting old grp was to use a 2 pack urethane coating as it is a two pack (so lasts well) but is flexible so moves with the grp. It can also be put on quite thickly particularly if you do 3 coats.

From the 2nd pic, it looks like the coating is quite  thick so I would guess its a urethane.

I think murflynn's advice is good but if it is a 2 part urethane it will not come off as easily as a single pack air or moisture cured coating. Try a small patch first and then if that works, you can do the whole lot. The paint stripper shouldnt affect the gel coat and only take the paint off. Have a think though what you do next. The coating was applied for a reason......likely the grp gel coat was a bit naff  and coating was the best solution. That means rather than reinstate the  gel coat by polishing as Rusty says, it may need painting again.

I doubt that coating is antifouling as antifouling is expensive and no one would waste it that far above the waterline.

Yeah. It looks like I'm going to have to strip the thing back to the gelcoat and repaint it. Although, what's to stop the paint stripper eating right through the gelcoat? Just curious.

It's definitely an out of the water job. Which, as I say, will let me redo the anti-fouling at the same time.

Ah well, that's next summers 'cruise' sorted then. To the boatyard!   :D

10 hours ago, ronnietucker said:

Although, what's to stop the paint stripper eating right through the gelcoat? Just curious.

You.

You remove the stripper after it has dissolved/loosened the paint, but before it starts on the gelcoat. (Kidding - It doesn't really attack gelcoat, only paint)

I used to use paint stripper on my GRP boats (30 years ago when it was PROPER paint stripper, and antifoul was PROPER antifoul) before the EU started with their namby-pamby 'watered down' stuff with the active chemicals removed.

That was harsh stuff.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Murflynn said:

IT DOESN'T.

Whoa there! That's too much science for this time of the morning. ?

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You remove the stripper after it has dissolved/loosened the paint, but before it starts on the gelcoat. (Kidding - It doesn't really attack gelcoat, only paint)

So the gelcoat can't be damaged by the paint stripper? Nice! That was my one worry, that the paint stripper would damage the gelcoat and I'd end up back at bare fiberglass.

A strip and repaint seems to be the order of the day (for next year).

Would you guys recommend putting gelcoat over gelcoat, or something like toplac over gelcoat?

Thanks for all the advice!

But really really REALLY try to polish up the gelcoat as a preference. One really hard session polishing it up and then a yearly light wax as opposed to regular touching up of paint which will never look as good as gelcoat whatever you do. 

10 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Would you guys recommend putting gelcoat over gelcoat, or something like toplac over gelcoat?

Thanks for all the advice!

We had one of the bathrooms on our boat 'over gel-coated'.

Works well - nice and shiny - waterproof - easy to keep clean - expensive.

IMG_20160131_132858.jpg

IMG_20160131_133954.jpg