PRM recommend Mineral oil not synth for150

Featured Posts

Following another post that  can't find using phone, so new thread.

Following holiday shut down, email from PRM re my 150 this morning, straight from the horse's mouth:

"Yes we recommend hydraulic gearboxes must use mineral 15W40, not synthetic"

Regards

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

Following another post that  can't find using phone, so new thread.

Following holiday shut down, email from PRM re my 150 this morning, straight from the horse's mouth:

"Yes we recommend hydraulic gearboxes must use mineral 15W40, not synthetic"

Regards

Yes and it's not available now in many of the usual places such as wilko etc as they all now do the semi/synthetic stuff. It is easy enough to get at present but price will rise as everyone else goes synthetic ?

Personal if I had a PRM box I woudl be back to PRM and asking them to justify their statement in a technical manner, not just "we says so".

Many fully synthetic oils are of very low viscosity and that may affect the gearbox's oil pressure and thus the clutch clamping force but its a viscosity problem NOT because the oil is synthetic. I also think that since muti-grade oils  came on the market and maybe before all the oils cud legitimately be described as semi-synthetic because of the additive pack so I think PRM should look into it and then explain the reasoning to its customers.

I am not saying they are wrong but it sounds too glib to me.

3 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

When I asked them they said same oil as the engine, when I went through a list of varying viscosity oils he said "yes that will be OK" to every type!

I use the same oil in my PRM box as in the Beta 43 engine - semi-synthetic 10W40 (CF spec) - no gearbox issues at all that I'm aware of. 

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes and it's not available now in many of the usual places such as wilko etc as they all now do the semi/synthetic stuff. It is easy enough to get at present but price will rise as everyone else goes synthetic ?

You can still get classic car 20W50 mineral oil at Wilko classic-car-oil-20w50

wilko oil.jpg

Edited by nbfiresprite

7 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

When I asked them they said same oil as the engine, when I went through a list of varying viscosity oils he said "yes that will be OK" to every type!

Did they include 20w-50 in their list?

4 hours ago, nbfiresprite said:

You can still get classic car 20W50 mineral oil at Wilko classic-car-oil-20w50

wilko oil.jpg

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I use something similar in my Isuzu 55 and PRM 150.

It's an API SE CC spec mineral oil.

Picture 1 of 1

Judging by the similarity of the specifications and of the tins, I suspect these are the same oil.

Beta have always rigidly specified 15W40 mineral oil for their engines and got quite shorty when I suggested 10W40 as an alternative (that's a lubricant that's specified in the Kubota manual).

Lubrication is quite a complex subject heat exchanging/ lubricity / shear strength and heavens know what else, so I guess folks stay with what they know to be safe....

6 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Beta have always rigidly specified 15W40 mineral oil for their engines and got quite shorty when I suggested 10W40 as an alternative (that's a lubricant that's specified in the Kubota manual).

Lubrication is quite a complex subject heat exchanging/ lubricity / shear strength and heavens know what else, so I guess folks stay with what they know to be safe....

They want people to buy their own brand oil at a inflated price https://betamarine.co.uk/lubricating-oils-guidelines/ . My own Beta 1505 has run on Wilko's 20W50 mineral oil for the pasted 16 years with no problems.

51 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

They want people to buy their own brand oil at a inflated price https://betamarine.co.uk/lubricating-oils-guidelines/ . My own Beta 1505 has run on Wilko's 20W50 mineral oil for the pasted 16 years with no problems.

Oh dear what a terrible thing to do - push your own product.....

Disgraceful.

Cor blimey guv depriving an honest dealer from earning a crust to feed his family Shame on you.....

Them 'as knows and  with a bit of savvy will use the info: (that Beta so kindly supply) and shop around for the best deal. that's what a market is for innit?

On a serious note - you'll see that all the specs are for a winter 'W' grade of 15 and nothing less (as in 10W etc). Methinks there's something in not using 10W or 20W. Probably OK  but if there's a problem then Beta could say - well I told you and walk away.

Must go the Management requires my attention....

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Oh dear what a terrible thing to do - push your own product.....

Disgraceful.

Are you outraged?

It’s pretty much de rigueur to be outraged, apparently.