Would you buy an overplated boat? [POLL] (Considering a limited 30k budget)

jetzi

Would you buy an overplated boat? [POLL] (Considering a limited 30k budget)  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy an overplated boat? [POLL] (Considering a limited 30k budget)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 23/07/18 at 10:28

Featured Posts

I voted No as there are plenty of £30k boats out there that haven't been overplated.

Like Alan says, I'd rather buy a colander and overplate it myself so I can control how well the work is being done. In fact this is an excellent way to go, I suggest. Boats that have 'failed' a survey due to pitting etc tend to sell at bargain basement prices and once overplated to a good standard will last for a couple more decades probably, and the overall cost STILL less than if you bought a fully priced bodged up boat.

£30K will buy you a boat that is not overplated and is sound enough. You may have to search but there are plenty out there - away from the overheated south.

It may be tatty inside and need work, painting maybe mechanical, but its a better bet than an overplate of unknown quality.

1 minute ago, Rickent said:

As others have said 30k is plenty to get a boat with a decent hull. 

Even a 70 foot narrowboat? Asking prices seem to be quite a bit higher than 30K - perhaps it's because we are in London? (only looking at boats without moorings)

11 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

Are you sure you voted NO ? 

Weird. Yes I AM sure I voted no. I was the first person to vote. 

EDIT to ADD:

Oh I know what happened. This poll was initially posted twice, and the mods deleted one of the duplicates. I probably voted in the deleted poll. I've just voted in this one anyway.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

4 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I voted No as there are plenty of £30k boats out there that haven't been overplated.

Like Alan says, I'd rather buy a colander and overplate it myself so I can control how well the work is being done. In fact this is an excellent way to go, I suggest. Boats that have 'failed' a survey due to pitting etc tend to sell at bargain basement prices and once overplated to a good standard will last for a couple more decades probably, and the overall cost STILL less than if you bought a fully priced bodged up boat.

I agree, but with a full overplate costing £180 per foot,[this is the price quoted by Kedian Engineering]the boat will need to be very cheap.

3 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

Even a 70 foot narrowboat? Asking prices seem to be quite a bit higher than 30K - perhaps it's because we are in London? (only looking at boats without moorings)

Are you only looking in London? Boats are generally cheaper further north.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Are you only looking in London? Boats are generally cheaper further north

We've only looked at boats in London so far, and one on the Norfolk Broads, but that's just a logistical thing. We hope to hire a car and head to the midlands to look at boats next weekend.

Just now, 70liveaboard said:

Would I buy a boat that had been overplated, Yes.

But I would need to have a good look at it first.

But it will be difficult to have a really good look. Yes, the outside of an overplated boat may look nice and neat,but,what is under the overplating?

Removing some floor panels and interior trim might give a clue,but the condition of the original  hull will probably remain a mystery.

Far better in my opinion as MtB has said,is to buy a boat that needs overplating and pay as little as possible, and have it overplated yourself.That way you know the original condition of the hull,and you can oversee the replating to ensure it is done to a good standard.