Pump out tank

Featured Posts

I have recently acquired a narrowboat - circa late 80's build - and the pump out tank, which is under the bed and seems 

pretty big to me, needs pumping out every three days with a party of 4 on. Someone suggested it may be silted 

up (presumably not with silt) and the pump out is only taking liquid from the top. 

Has anyone come across this and any idea how you would get the c**p out if it is solid at the bottom?

Is it a drop through toilet, if so you should be able to look down the pan, another reason could be the suction tube is perfirated half way up and not sucking to the bottom. A look through the pan after pumpout should tell you. If it is silted up then high pressure hose down pump out pipe may shift it and also down the pan.

What size is the tank? Length x width x height in cm, divide by 1000 gives the volume of carp in litres. If that looks impractical for a party of four to fill every three days then you could well be right. I'd imagine that if the boat was left unused on its moorings for long periods with a full tank, then I could see it "silting" up as you describe.

Worth checking that any flush water valve is shutting off fully and it isn't being filled with flush water instead.

Jen

Alternatively, send a trained capuchin monkey down there with a hammer and chisel. Surprisingly few boat yards have them though.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

The tank is big. Almost the size of the bed so I would say at least 5ft x 4ft x 1ft deep.

The toilet is a macerator which works fine and I would say uses 1.5pints a flush max. 

I tried sticking a metal stick in the tank but is has a rubber sleeve in so hard to tell if it is solid at the bottom.

Maybe needs jetting in anywhere does such a thing.

I don't really know for certain (not having had to do it), however you need access to the innards if the tank and that means removing the inspection plate (if there is one). Even so jetting is quite an invasive process - so there'll be water and mess everywhere....

So for a first attempt, try  Silky / Tesco Oxygen / bio wash liquid and rock the boat vigorously for a while. Repeat several times.

On the first attempt after pumping out thoroughly tap the side of the tank to see whether you can detect a 'dong' rather than a 'ding'  sound at different levels - that should detect where the solids start.

It may be that the macerator is putting too much water in or folks are flushing too often or the suction pipe has rotted and isn't removing all the liquid

4 hours ago, Simon Hawthorne said:

The tank is big. Almost the size of the bed so I would say at least 5ft x 4ft x 1ft deep.

The toilet is a macerator which works fine and I would say uses 1.5pints a flush max. 

I tried sticking a metal stick in the tank but is has a rubber sleeve in so hard to tell if it is solid at the bottom.

Maybe needs jetting in anywhere does such a thing.

Our tank is also under the bed (spare cabin) and similar dimensions. With two of us living on board we go about 7 weeks between pump outs. We don't pee in it though! 

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

OK, this may be a silly question but how do you know when the tank is 

a empty

b full.

A.  When you pump out it’s as empty as it gets, if you mean how do I know how deep is the sludge layer, then open the inspection hatch and look in.

B. When I fitted my tank I bought a couple of float switches which turn on a little indicator light with about 5” & 2” to go.

3 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

A.  When you pump out it’s as empty as it gets, if you mean how do I know how deep is the sludge layer, then open the inspection hatch and look in.

B. When I fitted my tank I bought a couple of float switches which turn on a little indicator light with about 5” & 2” to go.

But its not your tank with the problem, you obviously know whats happening, I wonder if the OP has a gauge that is just miles out of calabration.

Get a short length of pump-out hose (2 1/2" bore ??)

• Find a pumpout unit with a long hose that you can put through a nearby window
  • dismantle bed
  • remove inspection cover on tank
  • put hose above over end of pump out valve assembly
  • put pipe as above into tank
  • Start unit
  • manoeuvre free end of pipe to reach as far into the bowels (!) of the tank

Clean up / refit inspection hatch / reassemble bed / drive away

Total cost say, £25 including pump out token. 

I understand the cause of the build up of sludge in the first place can be due to the use of chemicals such as bleach killing off the natural bacteria that breaks down the  poo.

Therefore try to avoid using any such chemicals and add an enzyme treatment as part of general maintenance . 

Whether this would help clear existing sludge is uncertain.

Interesting on the no pee policy mentioned above  as our policy  is pee only !

Luckily we don't often find ourselves far from a shore loo - which, if possible , is the best plan overall. Unfortunately it is rumoured some C&RT shore toilets in our area  are to be sold off . 

• 1 month later...
On 22/06/2018 at 15:17, Simon Hawthorne said:

I have recently acquired a narrowboat - circa late 80's build - and the pump out tank, which is under the bed and seems 

pretty big to me, needs pumping out every three days with a party of 4 on. Someone suggested it may be silted 

up (presumably not with silt) and the pump out is only taking liquid from the top. 

Has anyone come across this and any idea how you would get the c**p out if it is solid at the bottom?

Hi Hawthorne 

What did you find with the toilet tank?

Are you able to give an up date of all actions taken.

My tank capacity is 234 lts. My last 3 pump outs has reduce to 170 lts. I manually pumped it out yesterday into 20 lts containers. 

I now have to take action to resolve.

One company that may be able to help anyone researching this item is Lee Sanitation www.leesan.com 

My plastic pipework from toilet to the tank  blocked up last year.  I purchased a product from them called Lee scale and it cleared them. 

I learnt from Lee Sanitation that urine and faeces mixed together if left long enough it will become a solid which may need a chisel to remove it?

Thanks

1 hour ago, Steve Manc said:

I learnt from Lee Sanitation that urine and faeces mixed together if left long enough it will become a solid which may need a chisel to remove it?

Here's one I prepared earlier in 38 mm bore pipe:

IMG_20180328_152935592.jpg.2d536d2f65f1d9291b47ed5d0484e751.jpg

• Horror 1