Correct Engine Starter Alternator Drive Belt for a Beta 43

Featured Posts

When I bought DQ, the previous owner left on board several spares, filters, drive belts and control cables.

Amongst these were two drive belts for the alternator (90 amp) which charges the engine starter battery, and I am now on the last one. Both marked Mitsubishi REMF-6415.

I am wondering if these are the correct belts, because when replaced the adjustment is at the far end of the he arc of the adjustment bracket, and the belt still has 0.75 inches of play on its longest side, as though the belt is slightly too long.

What belts do the other Beta 43 owners use? Ideally I want one that after replacement leaves plenty of adjustment for future belt tightening.

It might depend on your engine, new design in 2001. I have AVX 13 x 1100 listed. There was an issue with early engines(prior to 2001) where the alternator arms weren't man enough for the job, and also complete crank shaft failures as both domestic and starter pulleys were on the same side over stressing the crank 

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

complete crank shaft failures as both domestic and starter pulleys were on the same side over stressing the crank 

That's not good. I have a much more recent version but to avoid frightening others I wonder if there are early signs of wear? presumably the front bearing and oil seal would suffer before the crank failed and might throw oil out? As for belts, take the old belt to any bearing shop and they should find one of the right section and length.

The Mitsubishi belts are as far as I can tell the equivalent to the AVX 13 x 1100 that Matty mentioned. It could be that a smaller alternator pulley has been fitted. With that much slack I would try an AVX 13 x 1075 to start with, you may find that an even shorter belt can be fitted at subsequent changes.

My Beta 43 has two alternators, a 50A and a 90A but the 50A is the engine start alternator. I have just ordered a new belt from Beta for the 90A one and it was a 6PK1177.

This is the belt for engines up to 2008 - ours is 2002. This is also the number marked on the current installed belt. I assume yours is a flat belt with the 6 'ridges' going around the belt rather than a V belt.

I rang Beta to order and gave them the engine number - they told me what belt was needed.

47 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

My Beta 43 has two alternators, a 50A and a 90A but the 50A is the engine start alternator. I have just ordered a new belt from Beta for the 90A one and it was a 6PK1177.

This is the belt for engines up to 2008 - ours is 2002. This is also the number marked on the current installed belt. I assume yours is a flat belt with the 6 'ridges' going around the belt rather than a V belt.

I rang Beta to order and gave them the engine number - they told me what belt was needed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Dayco-Poly-V-ribbed-Belt-6PK1173-6-Ribs-1173mm-Auxiliary-Fan-Drive-Alternator/1909460558

Thanks to all for the advice.

5 hours ago, matty40s said:

It might depend on your engine, new design in 2001. I have AVX 13 x 1100 listed. There was an issue with early engines(prior to 2001) where the alternator arms weren't man enough for the job, and also complete crank shaft failures as both domestic and starter pulleys were on the same side over stressing the crank 

Yes, I am aware of the pulley issues of pre 2006 Beta engines when driving a Travelpower. They used a woodruff key between pulleys and crank, which eventually wore out the keyway. Later engines keep Kabota's extended splined crankshaft to drive the pulleys. Fortunately my engine is of 2007 vintage. 

3 hours ago, ianali said:

I believe many people tend to over tighten belts. 

I wish I could with mine! It is still loose at the end of the brackets adjustment.

I was always taught that the vee belts should have 0.5 inches of play on the longest run,  and that multi ribbed belts should be able to twist through 90° on the longest run when correctly adjusted.

3 hours ago, Eeyore said:

The Mitsubishi belts are as far as I can tell the equivalent to the AVX 13 x 1100 that Matty mentioned. It could be that a smaller alternator pulley has been fitted. With that much slack I would try an AVX 13 x 1075 to start with, you may find that an even shorter belt can be fitted at subsequent changes.

Thanks, I will visit the local motor factors and see if they have a 13 x 1075 belt.

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

My starter bartery alternator has a vee belt,  and the domestic one a multi ribbed belt.

According to my manual, the engine starter battery alternator is 90 amps output and the domestic one 160 amps output.

• Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I would just get the belts from Beta. By quoting your K number they will know exactly which belts you need. It might be slightly more expensive that ebay but cheap belts the wrong size aren’t cheap!

The existing belt probably has the ‘size’ printed on the outside face.  Just get the same again.

I've ordered a cheap AVX 13 x 1075 off eBay to see if that is the correct length.

I'll also order a replacement from Beta.

That way I'll know the generic type and lengthy as well as the Beta original part number.

Heavens guys, you're all making a meal out of a straightforward problem -

Measure the existing belt in situ with a piece of string.

Order a replacement - I suggest Bearing Boys - but a cogged variety rather than a straight  variety. These wear better and don't stretch too much

go down a size if you feel your current one is too long. I did that some ten years ago and found that, rather than changing belts once or twice a year, they'll go on 'forever.

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/SPZX-Belts-97mmx8mm-1112-c

30 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Heavens guys, you're all making a meal out of a straightforward problem -

Measure the existing belt in situ with a piece of string.

Order a replacement - I suggest Bearing Boys - but a cogged variety rather than a straight  variety. These wear better and don't stretch too much

go down a size if you feel your current one is too long. I did that some ten years ago and found that, rather than changing belts once or twice a year, they'll go on 'forever.

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/SPZX-Belts-97mmx8mm-1112-c

And remember Beta, Vetus, Shires or what ever other name your engine has on it, non of them make V belts, they all buy them in and sell them to the end user.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

Stacks of advice above but, in addition if it helps, my own notes for my 2008 Beta 43 contain the following info:

Engine Alternator Belt 
Mitsubishi Remf 6415.

Alternative: avx13 1065

There must be several engine/alternator/pulley configurations, because the Mitsubishi AVX  6415 belts I have used are marginally too long with the adjustment bracket at its maximum on my 2007 Beta 43.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect

12 minutes ago, cuthound said:

There must be several engine/alternator/pulley configurations, because the Mitsubishi AVX  6415 belts I have used are marginally too long with the adjustment bracket at its maximum on my 2007 Beta 43.

Interesting. I've just looked at a couple of REMF 6415 equivalents and one was 1065mm (as my alternative above reads) and the other 1085mm.  I think someone above also quoted having a 1100mm which was too long, so I guess some equivalents are not quite as equivalent as others!  :blink:

• Happy 1