Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
AMModels

Leeds and Liverpool breached at Maghull

Featured Posts

For those that do Facebook there’s more pics etc on the Melling community group page. Sadly my phone won’t let me put a link up....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how long it will be before Parry gets out the poor pot and starts asking for donations .... perhaps he had better cancel the second round of new logo stickers !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boats in Liverpool might be there for a bit.....With Marsh Lock out of action you’ve got the estuary to cross and the ship Canal to Pomona to do now if you fancy an adventure! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is very bad news. The breach is on a 27 mile pound so that is a LOT of water. Hopefully stop planks are in place and it's not a protracted repair.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know 'falling maintenance standards' is usually blamed for this sort of thing but I wonder if our changing weather conditions is a factor - heavy rains followed by long dry spells etc?

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not good up North at the moment. Current stoppages:

1) Middlewich breach

2) Maghull breach

3) Lock 11 Marple

4) Anderton boat lift

5) Weston Marsh lock, Weaver

Edited by rgreg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, rgreg said:

It's not good up North at the moment. Current stoppages:

1) Middlewich breach

2) Maghull breach

3) Lock 11 Marple

4) Anderton boat lift

5) Weston Marsh lock, Weaver

But there’s some lovely new signs that welcome you to all the work sites.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, rgreg said:

It's not good up North at the moment. Current stoppages:

1) Middlewich breach

2) Maghull breach

3) Lock 11 Marple

4) Anderton boat lift

5) Weston Marsh lock, Weaver

All in North West though.  What’s wrong with the Anderton lift, not seen anything about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, starman said:

I know 'falling maintenance standards' is usually blamed for this sort of thing but I wonder if our changing weather conditions is a factor - heavy rains followed by long dry spells etc?

We were giving Richard P a day's boating under the boating buddies scheme earlier this year and he said that that was what worried him. More frequent deluges leading to failures all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

We were giving Richard P a day's boating under the boating buddies scheme earlier this year and he said that that was what worried him. More frequent deluges leading to failures all over the place.

 

I suppose that gives him something to hold onto' as the sky falls in around him.

 

Image result for linus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its nowt new though is it. Canals have breached several times over the centuries and of course like us humans as they get older they will fail more frequently. A few vollies will soon have it sorted and of course all the cyclists and anglers will be stumping up the money to repair it :ninja:

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CV32 said:

I wonder how long it will be before Parry gets out the poor pot and starts asking for donations .... perhaps he had better cancel the second round of new logo stickers !

That's the point I was trying to make in another thread on C&RT being all things  to all people, when the asset that is/was their original task to manage/maintain goes down hill at what seems an alarming rate I fear& wonder how long the point of no return will be reached & sections maybe whole canals will become derelict as a result of lack of funds,  possibly could have been funded if the other unnecessary expenditure hadn't been spent  Time will be the teller of the tale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

That's the point I was trying to make in another thread on C&RT being all things  to all people, when the asset that is/was their original task to manage/maintain goes down hill at what seems an alarming rate I fear& wonder how long the point of no return will be reached & sections maybe whole canals will become derelict as a result of lack of funds,  possibly could have been funded if the other unnecessary expenditure hadn't been spent  Time will be the teller of the tale

Selling off assets for a quick buck is the wrong way .Those assets should be fetching in a continuous income .

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stoppage notice says collapsed culvert, which accords with the description on FB of water entering a sinkhole.

 

Hopefully, this means that the water has escaped without carrying away hundreds of tons of material, and it will be a relatively simple repair to the culvert and bed.

 

Of course, the bigger problem will be finding enough water to refill the drained section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Selling off assets for a quick buck is the wrong way .Those assets should be fetching in a continuous income .

Historically some of the investment into assets decisions have had a disastrous effect on on C&RT income (Investing in pubs and shopping centre developments to name a couple) better to sell them off and lose many millions than be a continuous drain.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quote from local farm owner in the Liverpool Echo

 

The 58-year-old told the ECHO: "We've reported a fault with the canal and a persistent damp patch, even in dry weather, for some time now.

"We have reported it consistently and not been believed."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, oldboater66 said:

Quote from local farm owner in the Liverpool Echo

 

The 58-year-old told the ECHO: "We've reported a fault with the canal and a persistent damp patch, even in dry weather, for some time now.

"We have reported it consistently and not been believed."

Image result for surprise

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, oldboater66 said:

Quote from local farm owner in the Liverpool Echo

 

The 58-year-old told the ECHO: "We've reported a fault with the canal and a persistent damp patch, even in dry weather, for some time now.

"We have reported it consistently and not been believed."

That sounds about the same as the Rufford breach. The CRT region manager who has thankfully now left hadnt a clue about infrastructure. This might be part of her legacy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.