Mooring at Merry Hill

Jim

Featured Posts

I'm planning a trip down the Dudley and Stourbridge Canals and will probably need to moor overnight at Merry Hill. Waterscape suggests that you need to book and pay for a mooring there. Is this really the case, or are there "free" alternatives?

I certainly didn't pay when I moored there, although only stopped for an hour. I think there are some finger jetties which are gated - maybe it is these (secure) moorings which need to be booked. Wost case scenario you could moor west of Merryhill using your piling hooks.

There are separate secure moorings opposite the Waterfront which I believe you have to pay for and there are loads of rings just past them which are free. Only problem with the Waterfront is loud music till about 11:00pm week days and till 2am weekends. We have moored over night several times without any problems.

Hi Jim

I live just up the road from Merry Hill moorings and use the Waterfront on an evening, yes it can get noisy, yes there a lot of people around late at night but on the upside the whole area is covered by CCTV and there are Security Guys patroling both the Waterfront and the moorings.

For a quieter night follow Neils advice, this area is also covered by CCTV.

Brightest Blessings

Dave

We've moored there several times. For ultimate security you can pay to use the finger pontoons, but it's fine to moor on the free sections. It's as noisy on the pontoons as anywhere. Last time we moored a hundred yards to the West of the basin, on the towpath, and it was fairly quiet and peaceful, but near enough to the security patrols that we felt perfectly safe. Easier to walk the dogs too as it was close to the grass.

A few years back we moored in the main basin, opposite all the noisy pubs and clubs, but the noise didn't bother us. Around 2am some revellers untied all the boats, and we still didn't notice; we were woken up by the slight bump as the Security people pulled us back to the shore and tied us up again.

Allan

For a quieter night follow Neils advice, this area is also covered by CCTV.

We didn't tie up there for a peaceful night.......It was the most convenient mooring to take a stroll down to Bathams brewery tap, the Bull and Bladder...:rolleyes:

Edited by Hairy-Neil
  • Greenie 1

We didn't tie up there for a peaceful night.......It was the most convenient mooring to take a stroll down to Bathams brewery tap, the Bull and Bladder...:rolleyes:

Alright, I admit it, this was the main reason why I was planning to moor at Merry Hill in the first place! Thanks everyone for your advice.

Theres full cctv from the waterfront basin right to the first top lock at the delph.For a quieter nights mooring, moor after the basin opposite the shopping centre, by Sainsburys. This is where I mean... http://www.waterexplorer.co.uk/gmaps/gmap....mp;PlaceId=4954

Alright, I admit it, this was the main reason why I was planning to moor at Merry Hill in the first place! Thanks everyone for your advice.

Don't forget to call into the brewery in the pub on Netherton high street as well, moor near Windmill End/Bumble Hole (http://www.waterexplorer.co.uk/gmaps/gmap....mp;PlaceId=4982)

Edited by stuart

We moored there last year on the secure pontoon. It cost £5.00 and you pay at the service desk inside the shopping center. There is a board by the BW station next to the bridge giving details. As we had already had the boat set free at 2.00 am by some drunk at Gas Street I figured it was worth it. Have a good trip.

Ken

• 16 years later...

We're at the Waterfront Merry Hill in 2024, so thought I'd update this info:

All pontoons are now rented through Savilles, there is a waiting list and so none of the gated pontoon spaces are available to visitors anymore. If you want to get on the waiting list call: 07484507458 Kyle Wright

There are plenty of well lit 14 day spaces with rings in both the noisier and quieter areas.

There are CRT showers, toilets, elsan and bins but NO WATER!!?? So it's a mile and one lock up the canal to Blowers Green to fill up and wind.

And there are still plenty of shops open at the Merry Hill too!

• Greenie 1

I wouldn't say so unless improved since April; the paint was peeling quite badly. Usually pretty clean though.

The really spotless services are (or were last year) on the Engine Arm!

@Dan_Tara welcome to the forum. 😀

I'm around the corner at Hawne Basin just now.

Edited by Francis Herne

There is an elsan at least , I think we have used it, in the side of an office building by the basin towpath side?

I thought all the pontoons were always long term moorings, did not realise some were visitor mooring.  Not really going to be any lack of space in either the basin or on the embankment though.

24 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Not really going to be any lack of space in either the basin or on the embankment though

Except on some Saturdays when the fishing contest is on. It occupies every mooring in the basin and some way down the embankment, and they're not keen on moving for boats!

1 hour ago, Francis Herne said:

Except on some Saturdays when the fishing contest is on. It occupies every mooring in the basin and some way down the embankment, and they're not keen on moving for boats!

Good to know.  I would try and avoid Saturdays anyway as I guess ‘spoons gets rather rowdy.

14 hours ago, Dan_Tara said:

All pontoons are now rented through Savilles, there is a waiting list and so none of the gated pontoon spaces are available to visitors anymore. If you want to get on the waiting list call: 07484507458 Kyle Wright

There are plenty of well lit 14 day spaces with rings in both the noisier and quieter areas.

There are CRT showers, toilets, elsan and bins but NO WATER!!?? So it's a mile and one lock up the canal to Blowers Green to fill up and wind.

Used to be water inside the building. Just a tap on the wall with the usual screw connection. Needed a long hose to go out of the building, across the road to the boat.

When we were last there some visitors just pulled up between the pontoon and the brick edge and used the water there.

If the letting us now arranged through Savilles I assume it's now professional. When it was looked after by Merryhill office it was all rather haphazard.

Edited by pearley

Thanks for pointing that out, you're right it's in with the elsan and bins. That saves a trip to Blowers Green.

20240129_105834.jpg

20240129_105817.jpg

16 hours ago, beerbeerbeerbeerbeer said:

Are they still very clean and well kept?

A pic from today. As I was leaving someone came to clean them too.

20240129_105936.jpg

• Greenie 1

18 hours ago, Dan_Tara said:

There was water last time I was there, but best to use it early in the morning or late at night because you have to run your hose over the service road, which is always busy in the day.