Middlewich Branch breach - Shropshire Union

lostnortherner

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I cannot find a stoppage notice for that?

25 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Because it was a couple of years ago! The photo demonstrates the effectiveness of the Portadam system

They have been a bit busy painting duck-lanes along the tow-path so they haven't got around to issuing one yet.

On 18/03/2018 at 20:56, Tim Lewis said:

Another good picture:

Tim

Er - can I ask all the experts here to explain why there is so much damage to the non towpath side???  I assume the breach is on the left looking at this piccie.  I can understnad that once one side collapses the whole structure is compromised but this literally looks  like a bomb's gone orf.

2 minutes ago, larryjc said:

Er - can I ask all the experts here to explain why there is so much damage to the non towpath side???  I assume the breach is on the left looking at this piccie.  I can understnad that once one side collapses the whole structure is compromised but this literally looks  like a bomb's gone orf.

I’m certainly no expert but I’d imagine that once the towpath side collapsed there would be a huge slump in that direction effectively sucking the offside down with the flow of water. Think of when you built sandcastles; if you made a moat and then breached it, it would pull the far side down as the water flowed out. 

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well the dam is in place ready to pump water up, the crap has been cleared out of the canal.

photos on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanalMarketPlace/permalink/2050470151899796/

Clicking the link just led to FB demanding more personal data from me to sell on the black market.

4 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Clicking the link just led to FB demanding more personal data from me to sell on the black market.

The main pic is this one:

979FD5D8-DE33-4DD6-A403-E0932BF25A34.jpeg.381335ab1c891ab138de3760efd22e7a.jpeg

Image Copyright Ryan Mottram, posted with permission. 

Edited by WotEver

46 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Are you sure, even when not logged into facebook I still see the post with the photos.  There is the stuff above about logging on, but you don't need to.  However you have seen the most important photo, perhaps the stranded boats can start to be moved today.

How many pumps are at Wardle Lock? It will take one six inch pump a while to fill the pound  to the dam, if it can run continuously, which the local inhabitants may not like. Then each lockful will have to be pumped up to keep the remaining boats afloat.

Good news, of course, but the stranded boats will be there a while yet  I fearï

N

58 minutes ago, BEngo said:

How many pumps are at Wardle Lock? It will take one six inch pump a while to fill the pound  to the dam, if it can run continuously,

If they use two pumps, will it take only half a while?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

Are you sure, even when not logged into facebook I still see the post with the photos.  There is the stuff above about logging on, but you don't need to.  However you have seen the most important photo, perhaps the stranded boats can start to be moved today.

Yup, don't know why I got that response, didn't try to log in. Thanks to Tony for posting the pic, always more useful than just putting a link up.

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Yup, don't know why I got that response, didn't try to log in. Thanks to Tony for posting the pic, always more useful than just putting a link up.

Last time I copied something from facebook on here I got reported and removed it again by someone who is a member here and on Facebook, hence I put the link so if you are interested in what is posted on FB you can go and look. If you are not happy using FB and I know some people aren't well then you don't get to see whats happening there.

I did copy a photo of the stolan boat from FB and put on here but in that case the poster said feel free to share.

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you are not happy using FB and I know some people aren't well then you don't get to see whats happening there.

And neither do the 10 billion other users see what you are doing, or you have your details sold on to 'big-business' and Politicians.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Last time I copied something from facebook on here I got reported and removed it again by someone who is a member here and on Facebook, hence I put the link so if you are interested in what is posted on FB you can go and look. If you are not happy using FB and I know some people aren't well then you don't get to see whats happening there.

I did copy a photo of the stolan boat from FB and put on here but in that case the poster said feel free to share.

I have asked the FB poster for permission to paste his image here. Should he decline then I’ll remove it. (Edit to add that yes, I know that’s backwards)  

I find the whole issue of copyright of an image that’s already shared in the public domain to be somewhat murky. 

Edited by WotEver

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If they use two pumps, will it take only half a while?

Yea.  If they were to use 5 pumps they should be able to do it in a bit less than a 'w':-).

N

3 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Yea.  If they were to use 5 pumps they should be able to do it in a bit less than a 'w':-).

N

On reflection, I think five pumps might cause a problem. The pound below will be drained pretty sharpish won't it?

27 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

On reflection, I think five pumps might cause a problem. The pound below will be drained pretty sharpish won't it?

Why can’t they pump up from the river that it fell into?

another method would be to use a portadam either side of the breach with pipes crossing the breach, that way both sides could be watered allowing the majority of boats to move away without having to use pumps.

1 minute ago, Jess-- said:

another method would be to use a portadam either side of the breach with pipes crossing the breach, that way both sides could be watered allowing the majority of boats to move away without having to use pumps.

Sadly that would leave the flume tubes crossing the huge hole, so they would then need to dewater the canal again after the boats have been moved, and rebuild the portadams.

Pumping up from the junction is the correct way in this case, and saves doing it twice.

Another issue is that all the boats in Aqueduct and Venetian marinas will be moving soon so using the locks which will drop a whole load of water down towards the breach. A pipe across the breach would handle this, though would probably need some pumping. There are almost certainly sluices along the way that could loose this water, possibly into the Weaver, but these might be set too high to take water from the canal which is now at a very very low level.

.............Dave

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well the dam is in place ready to pump water up, the crap has been cleared out of the canal.

photos on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanalMarketPlace/permalink/2050470151899796/

They have put the Dam just beyond, the only nice field next to the A530 where they could had very good access to the breach for getting equipment and materials there.

49 minutes ago, Dave-Shrop said:

They have put the Dam just beyond, the only nice field next to the A530 where they could had very good access to the breach for getting equipment and materials there.

I would think that the current dam is a short term fix to get the boats out, and then will be taken away, its too risky as a long term structure, would be very tempting for vandals.

My hope is that they then build dams from earth and clay at both ends for the duration of the repair, and pump the water past the breach to keep the canal running. Pumping past locks during repairs is pretty standard stuff. It would be really good to keep the Middlewich end in water for the FAB festival as this is the main mooring for many visiting boats, though I am not sure how many boaters would want to tackle a long reverse and doing Wardle lock backwards.

..............Dave

I took this short video which shows the water being pumped passed a drained section by my mooring during culvert repair. This wasn't a short term fix, it was there for the full stoppage.

Casp'

Edited by casper ghost

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

Why can’t they pump up from the river that it fell into?

I think they would need an abstraction licence for that

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I would think that the current dam is a short term fix to get the boats out, and then will be taken away, its too risky as a long term structure, would be very tempting for vandals.

My hope is that they then build dams from earth and clay at both ends for the duration of the repair, and pump the water past the breach to keep the canal running. Pumping past locks during repairs is pretty standard stuff. It would be really good to keep the Middlewich end in water for the FAB festival as this is the main mooring for many visiting boats, though I am not sure how many boaters would want to tackle a long reverse and doing Wardle lock backwards.

..............Dave

But where would you go Dave, up Wardle lock and then three quarters of a mile through 3 bridges before reversing back and going down the lock again

Just read the last line of your posting properly

Edited by ditchcrawler