Ordering small quantities of steel bar

Featured Posts

I'm in need of a couple of lengths of steel bar

100mm x 15mm x 500mm long

50mm x 25mm x 500mm long

for a little project on the boat.....Ive looked on eBay and for the size both the cost and postage seem rather high, however I'm aware a steel stockholder probably wont want to know for such small bits....

Just wondering if anyone knows a supplier either mail order or in the Leicester/Rugby area that might be able to do them? 

Many thanks

Edited by frangar

I have bought stuff from the Metal Store in Cleckheaton (www.themetalstore.co.uk) but I guess the postage will be excessive for the quantity you need. 

I would try a local steel fabricator (or boatbuilder) who will probably be happy to sell you a few offcuts.

5 hours ago, frangar said:

Just wondering if anyone knows a supplier either mail order or in the Leicester/Rugby area that might be able to do them?

If you are talking about solid bar or plate, unless my maths is wrong, I think that's about 11Kg of steel in total.

Based on my own experiences of sending a propeller weighing about twice that, you need to look for a courier other than ParcelForce, if you don't want the majority of the cost to be carriage.

Edited by alan_fincher

When we wanted small lengths of bar we used to pop round to our steel stockholders and ask. 

While they probably won't want to do any paperwork for it they are likely to have a corner with some offcuts or bits that are otherwise unsaleable and they may be very glad to rehome one for a donation to the staff tea fund or such like. 

I guess it depends on how close you are to a steel stockholders, equally a small jobbing engineering shop may be willing to sell you what you need from their stash at the back of the workshop 

7 hours ago, dor said:

Have you tried B&Q?  My local one has all sorts of rod and tube in steel and aly.  Not cheap, but no shipping cost.

Or try a local blacksmith if you have one.

Wickes do the same range but generally cheaper. 

Edited by pearley