Excalibur No.1 sunk.

Rickent

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Its been moored there , on the winter moorings, for quite a while.... I don't think lived on.

The boat has probably been tied too tight and the river rising to the towpath level has swamped it. 

Exactly, expensive mistake.

I have only been on the Soar for 3 years but in that time I have learned that it can be unforgiving and can turn in a very short space of time. I would not leave a boat for any length of time in winter that's for sure.

16 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Would this be covered by insurance ?

That will depend on the small print. There is insurance and insurance. Problem often is people go for the cheapest and dont even know what precise cover they have and yes they do differ greatly as do all types of insurance policies. Ask yourself how often just on this forum we get a thread heading which insurance company is cheapest and how many have the heading which insurance company give the best cover?

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

That will depend on the small print. There is insurance and insurance. Problem often is people go for the cheapest and dont even know what precise cover they have and yes they do differ greatly as do all types of insurance policies. Ask yourself how often just on this forum we get a thread heading which insurance company is cheapest and how many have the heading which insurance company give the best cover?

I would imagine it all depends on how the insurance company views things, leaving a boat unattended on a river which is known to rise rapidly could be seen seen as negligence, but as you said it depends on the insurance company.

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I recognise that boat as one I have in the past frequently seen further South.

It always looked in good order then, and still does here.  What a very great shame!

Yes Alan, it has been in this area for a while now and always looks in top condition and well looked after.

6 minutes ago, Canal321 said:

Not much chance of that if it was on the bottom any length of time. 

At least it's up now. That's something..

The interior will be trashed but the engine may well come out unscathed if re commissioned correctly. Friend of mine bought a sinker off the trent that was down less than 24 hours and at very first appeared not too bad. It quickly became a total refit.

• Greenie 1

What a sad situation and I hope the owner successfully sorts it. What a way to start the year!!!!  But on a lighter note it reminds me of a holiday myself and 5 other teenagers enjoyed in the early sixties on the broads when after a splendid evening visiting the local hostelries in - can`t remember whether Lowestoft or Great Yarmouth- we retired but were awoken during the night by one of the lads disturbed by the angle of the boat. We had moored to tight and the water level had fallen. We were nearly suspended in the air!!!!! 

• Greenie 1