New batteries - problem

Johny London

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Is that a Pirate Aaaaaaarrrrhg! SP?

It's induced by possible electrical overcomplication, that's why the magic smoke is escaping from my brain. :unsure:

Pirates lived fairly uncomplicated lives back then, no batteries to fuss over. Just treasure, rum, avoiding the gallows... Aaargh!

• Haha 1

In the interests of research, I have ordered the desulfator from batteryXtra - a hefty £60. I will fit it, use for a period of time and report my results. I know that my new batteries capacity goes from 100% at 8pm in the evening, to 40% when I get up (yes I know about the 60% rule and I'm really at the point now where the fridge will need switching off at night). That's about 60a/h.

Anyway - I have a good yard stick to see if things improve. If they don't, the item will be returned within its 60 day free return period.

I'm doing it for the forum :)  Then you can all say "told you so"!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Johny London said:

.......point now where the fridge will need switching off at night). That's about 60a/h.

Apologies - I was not sure what you meant with the above - hence the question

My fridge is under 30Ah per day and I reckon only 1/3 of that is overnight (as the door is rarely opened).

Assuming your fridge is similar you are still using 50Ah overnight (10 hours ?) on cooker fan, lights and TV - Does your cooker fan run when the cooker is switched off ?, Is your cooking 'electric' ?

It would be interesting to see your audit.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

26 minutes ago, Johny London said:

No, I'm  not saying that, and I'm not wrong. 60a/h is my energy audit for tv/dvd etc in the evening, lights, fan in the oven and so forth, plus the fridge and a bit for the inverter.

Sorry :)

Your post read to me that 60Ah was used while you were asleep. 

No problem, I meant between 8pm and when I get up, 60ah is used. Turning the fridge off when I go to bed will help a bit. Mind you, so would not falling asleep in front of the tv!

Anyway - wish me luck with the snake oil - I mean desulfator - worth a punt in the scheme of things as otherwise my next stop will be a lithium battery. £££

No, I'm  not saying that, and I'm not wrong. 60a/h is my energy audit for tv/dvd etc in the evening, lights, fan in the oven and so forth, plus the fridge and a bit for the inverter.

Please not that 60a/h is NOT the same thing as 60ah. I think you probably mean 60ah.

Not just saying this for your benefit, but for anyone else reading this thread in the future who is struggling to properly understand the units used for electricity management, and is puzzled by your use of a/h.

Yes, and if I start with 100% at 8pn, I could expect to have 80-85% in the morning, so if it doesn't make a big difference I'll certainly return it - though I wouldn't be surprised if it makes "some" difference, thus encouraging the user to persevere past the sixty days. We will certainly see, and I look forward to sharing my findings whatever they may be. If it works, this company is going to have a serious run on them!

Just to add - I think these batteries must be ideal candidates for the rejuvinator, sorry desulfator. They've not been left discharged for months on end, they are not old - infact I believe I can return them still but I really can't see the point as it's a right faff to get them out and the next set will go the same way. It's desulfator or Lithium for me.

Edited by Johny London
  • Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Johny London said:

Yes, and if I start with 100% at 8pn, I could expect to have 80-85% in the morning, so if it doesn't make a big difference I'll certainly return it - though I wouldn't be surprised if it makes "some" difference, thus encouraging the user to persevere past the sixty days. We will certainly see, and I look forward to sharing my findings whatever they may be. If it works, this company is going to have a serious run on them!

It won't work though, or it would be widely known that the idea works and everyone would already have one.

Just to add - I think these batteries must be ideal candidates for the rejuvinator, sorry desulfator. They've not been left discharged for months on end, they are not old - infact I believe I can return them still but I really can't see the point as it's a right faff to get them out and the next set will go the same way. It's desulfator or Lithium for me.

Hi. What kind of charging system do you have on your boat and what is the output of the alternator?