Featured Posts

If anyone uses PB to host their images, be aware that the PB website is now demanding payment for storing images. Worse, the website is nigh impossible to navigate as the commands are being ignored. It has also become peppered with pop up adverts that cover command fields, and even logging in has become impossible.

Steer clear.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Derek R. said:

If anyone uses PB to host their images, be aware that the PB website is now demanding payment for storing images. Worse, the website is nigh impossible to navigate as the commands are being ignored. It has also become peppered with pop up adverts that cover command fields, and even logging in has become impossible.

Steer clear.

It also means that any photos that you have previously linked from the Photobucket site will now have been removed from the forum, unless you have paid the $399/year fee:

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

Tim

22 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

It also means that any photos that you have previously linked from the Photobucket site will now have been removed from the forum, unless you have paid the $399/year fee:

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

Tim

Oh dear, I have posted loads from that site, I frequently use photos in my posts

That's a shame. Even if they charged $39.99 I'm sure it would still be a big deal for many, let alone $399. Crazy!

Just as well we increased the total attachment limit per user from 100MB to 200MB and can increase this further if necessary. 

8 minutes ago, RichM said:

That's a shame. Even if they charged $39.99 I'm sure it would still be a big deal for many, let alone $399. Crazy!

Just as well we increased the total attachment limit per user from 100MB to 200MB and can increase this further if necessary. 

I don't suppose you can magic up some way of finding all the links to Photo Bucket, and automatically uploading the images to within the forum, can you?

(Only joking!.....)

17 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

When is all this starting? It still seems to work at the moment or perhaps they just haven't got to me yet?

Cheers Graham

It is already happening

Richard

Allegedly from the 28 June, but some seem to have slipped beneath their radar.

Another forum (car based) is seeking a work-around, or at least, a recovery of previous images held on PB and pasted on the forum.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58069

Edited by Derek R.
Added link

22 hours ago, RichM said:

My thoughts exactly.

While mainly including myself wouldnt, some would pay £30 to keep their images live, very few I expect would pay the £400 which is a mad figure. I can see they have a issue that they have a huge number of 'legacy' images currently hosted and hotlinked, but yeah. Mad! I used imageshack a lot in the past, although now all forums including this one host their own so I use that service.

23 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

I don't suppose you can magic up some way of finding all the links to Photo Bucket, and automatically uploading the images to within the forum, can you?

(Only joking!.....)

8 hours ago, Derek R. said:

Another forum (car based) is seeking a work-around, or at least, a recovery of previous images held on PB and pasted on the forum.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=58069

I have yet to read the thread in detail, but it would be interesting to see how practical it would be to automate a harvesting of the images, however I doubt it would be simple.

Obviously most forum posts and hence images are reasonable transient if not as quickly lost as much of Facebook maybe, however there are also step by step guides, or threads people find or look back in years later, which now may have all their images lost.

Daniel

Almost all my photographs on here are through PB. All are stored on hard drives as well so if anyone needs a particular shot, I can provide. 

I will give it a month to see if they backtrack on this ridiculous change,  if not,  I will remove it all and delete,  probably along with millions of others.