Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
starman

Brunel's 'lost' bridge

Featured Posts

I've just finished a biography of Brunel and mention is made of a lost iron bridge of his being discovered at Paddington and saved for re-erection. 

There's plenty of stuff on T'internet about a 2006 plan to have it as a footbridge across Paddington Basin (like this) but nothing since. 

Does anyone know more?

2 hours ago, starman said:

I've just finished a biography of Brunel and mention is made of a lost iron bridge of his being discovered at Paddington and saved for re-erection. 

There's plenty of stuff on T'internet about a 2006 plan to have it as a footbridge across Paddington Basin (like this) but nothing since. 

Does anyone know more?

Lots of plans but no money :-(

Tim

3 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Lots of plans but no money :-(

Tim

I wonder if the "consultancy fees" wasted on the Garden Bridge would have put the Brunel bits across Paddington Basin (many times over)?

Three and a half million pounds to clean up an iron bridge and put it back together? Nice work if you can get it.

It is a pity that it's not been re-erected (I assume it's in pieces in a railway shed somewhere in London) but at least it is still extant.

There were a number of other Brunel bridges spanning canals, these were known as balloon because of their oval shape. There was one across the BCN at Wolverhampton to carry the Wolverhampton Junction Railway over the canal and there was another at Camp Hill on the Warwick & Birmingham that carried the Birmingham & Oxford Junction over the canal.

According to June 2006 Canal & Riverboat, the Paddington Bridge was taken to the English Heritage Yard, Portsmouth (now Historic England). This was done for the restoration to take place. An artists impression for the reconstructed bridge is: 

701901.jpg

Yes, I believe it is called artistic licence. It that term what is used when they have not the faintest idea what it is that is being depicted, the bridge itself seems better though

The other odd thing is that the people are all wearing flowing robes- may be it is intended to be some where else.

I thought they were penguins. perhaps after this hot summer we're in for a hard winter.

"Flowing robes" they're the new 'British' . . that or the artist drawer can't do legs . . or heads (or water).

The Brunel bridge is lurking beneath those plated parapets I believe.

Beford CA van, and a fleet of the plastic cab'd mechanical 'orses, a Cortina (Mk 1), and a Reliant. And by the railway loco nameplate across the back end, I'd guess that might be PEACOCK?

Yes Derek, it is Peacock. John kept a lot of his 'stuff' in the shed under the corner of the bridge. Last time I saw the metal bits of the bridge they were in Portsmouth but have no idea as to their current location(s).

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Yes, I believe it is called artistic licence.

His artistic licence should be revoked for failing to draw a bona fide narrowboat!

Looks to me as though he tried to incorporate all of the distinguishing features of the different types of narrowboat into a single boat :P

On 19/06/2017 at 07:37, starman said:

Does anyone know more?

are you still looking for this bridge ? as I know where it is now if your interested ?

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

are you still looking for this bridge ? as I know where it is now if your interested ?

I'm interested and I expect a few others would be too - pray spill the beans!

3 hours ago, MikeO said:

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Fort Cumberland, near Portsmouth.

898195485_BrunelBridge.JPG.4b3906d8f15fe111b940b01f1ff6c73c.JPG

1911186332_Brunelbridge.jpg.9c7153989776e4ebf562a2cf6f598c6b.jpg

Very interesting and detailed pdf article about the bridge here: https://www.arct.cam.ac.uk/Downloads/chs/final-chs-vol.20/chs-vol.20-pp.45-to-70.pdf

Edited by carlt
  • Greenie 1

10 hours ago, carlt said:

Fort Cumberland, near Portsmouth.

Ooh, I believe I've been in there!  Didn't know the bridge was there though - interesting.