How do you replace a Porta Potti trap seal?

Starcoaster

Featured Posts

As question, really. Trying to save myself the £55 cost of a new cassette due to the seal on the trap having started to leak a little, I instead opted to pay less than a tenner for a replacement rubber seal instead.

However, I cannot see how to get the old one out and get the new one in-anyone?

There are buttloads of videos, blogs and advice on replacing the seal on a regular cassette, but not for a Porta Potti. There must be a way, as Thetford sell the replacement part to do it with...

The cassette looks like this, and those black knobs either side of the trap at the top ain't screws!

F226%5ET.jpg

INSTRUCTIONS:

http://www.bradtech.ltd.uk/products/T07101-lipseal.pdf

I've done this a couple of times. You just pull the old one out and stick the new one in, probably with a bit of lubrication eg vaseline or silicone grease. Try not to bend or kink the new one too much, of course.

Agree. I use olive oil to keep the seal in good nick.

Edited by Guest

INSTRUCTIONS:

http://www.bradtech.ltd.uk/products/T07101-lipseal.pdf

Agree. I use olive oil to keep the seal in good nick.

Olive oil or silicone grease, as used by plumbers to lubricate "O" rings, or pay a lot more and buy the lubricant by Thetford.

Do not use vaseline or WD40 or mineral oil it can damage the seal.

We are talking lip seal which is where the contents enter the base.

Open the slider... best to wear disposable gloves, note which way up the seal goes, get the new one set up the same.

Remove the old seal, a pair of pliers works well, but avoid contact with the plastic lip of the base.

Some kitchen roll to wipe around the slot where the seal came from, a very small amount of lubricant on the outer edge of the seal, and in it pops, some lubricant on the inside of the seal, pay attention to where the slide contacts, and you should be sorted.

If the seal doesn't look perfectly round, then retry, but do not remove it with pliers.

There is also a vent seal, this too is very easy, all done from the top. Did that one on ours a few weeks back.

Best not have a Kentucky fried chicken for a while, you know their slogan, "finger lickin good"

lol...

Edited by RD1

Bear in mind there are two different cassettes which look nearly identical. Did you get the right lip seal?

The photo you posted is of the old style cassette, the other model to yours.

(They might both use the same lip seal anyway!)

Hmm I think they're the same... Ok so basically I just need to try harder. smile.png

Here is a you tube video showing you how to do it, pity the bloke has his hand in the way most of the time , blocking visibility, but you should get the idea from it.

The video features the newer Qube type unit, but having replaced several seals over the years, I can confirm that the method is identical for the older 165 - 365 units.

Edited by David Schweizer

You might try some boiling water?

That with a drop of fairy liquid. Pretty certain that is what I used.

Also I think it is the blue stuff that kills these seals. Since using bio washing stuff instead, the seals have lasted for many years (of course they will now expire after saying that...)

Edited by Guest

Open the flush blade.

Run the blade of a wide flat screwdriver (or an old stainless table knife) round between the black seal and the "white" part of the tank. Push it well in.

Then push the screwdriver/knife blade all the way into the gap between seal and tank. Lever up and the old seal will kink and come into the hole. Grab with pliers and pull it out.

Clean up where the seal was using viacal or similar if much scaled. Wash out and dry. Oil the new seal with veg oil all over an fit it into the cleaned up space. You will need to twist it a bit to work it in and make sure it is right way up.

check the blade is clean and scale free using viacal as needed. Oil the blade and check it slides freely under the seal.

N

Edited by BEngo

Open the flush blade.

Run the blade of a wide flat screwdriver (or an old stainless table knife) round between the black seal and the "white" part of the tank. Push it well in.

Then push the screwdriver/knife blade all the way into the gap between seal and tank. Lever up and the old seal will kink and come into the hole. Grab with pliers and pull it out.

Clean up where the seal was using viacal or similar if much scaled. Wash out and dry. Oil the new seal with veg oil all over an fit it into the cleaned up space. You will need to twist it a bit to work it in and make sure it is right way up.

check the blade is clean and scale free using viacal as needed. Oil the blade and check it slides freely under the seal.

N

And then wash your hands VERY thoroughly............................

I managed to get myself a job as a plumber for a contractor looking after the very big IBM manufacturing site at Havant. Their loos were nearly always blocking. Dyno rod would come in and shift the blackage a few feet so they would reblock in no time at all.

Then comes along, the mighty plumber (MITIE)! See what I did there. (MITIE they are now one of the largest contract businesses in the U.K.) Yours Truely who didn't really know all the short cuts and schemes to make more money. Role up sleeves and in you go. I resourced a superb bit of kit called a Jet Plumber. It used cartridges with freon gas, spell check, to blast away blockages. In time the blockages were a thing of the past,until,, da da dah! The main drain blocked. Now this 1/4 mile long concrete pipe which you could almost stand up in, was totally blocked by all sorts of stuff,including kitchen waste and grease. Yuk. A job for Mertro Rod. He got his big stuff out and prodded about. Nope would shift it. He called in the big guys with the HGV wagon with a really nice,lovely powerful pump. Off he went to tother end of the pipe, then........a voice from far away shouted, 'the buggers going'. Then with an almighty roar, and lack of air and ear popping, the local sewage farm had a lot of stuff to sort out in a hurry. We had warned them.

I then went on from being a routine bog clearer to,at that time, one of MITIEs senior Cleaning Managers. I went on to bigger and not always better contracts until my first heart attack, when my position was made redundant!! after twelve years employment. A sad time. At least IBM employees could use the loo.

So, to remove a rubber seal from a portable loo is right up my street.

Edited by Nightwatch