Microwaves

JetBoy

Featured Posts

Well mr X chef. My wife is not an X chef and one of our best selling breakfast items is scrambled eggs along with a full English. We serve tons of the stuff and in many establishments for years we have microwaved the eggs. The result if done correctly is very quick and absolutely superb. Last time you tried it you were not shown the correct method or are you one of the many EXPERTS who has not even been shown correctly or tried it out? Go on try it again I can give you the correct method if you want wink.png

It is not I repeat NOT possible madam to eat breakfast food without the use of a frying pan!!

Thanks for the offer Sir

But i dont own a microwave . No need . At all . Not on my boat anyhow . Each to thier own innit , i like my scrambled eggs done my way

Cheers

Thanks for the offer Sir

But i dont own a microwave . No need . At all . Not on my boat anyhow . Each to thier own innit , i like my scrambled eggs done my way

Cheers

So there, nyah, nyah, yah boo sucks. ;)

Well mr X chef. My wife is not an X chef and one of our best selling breakfast items is scrambled eggs along with a full English. We serve tons of the stuff and in many establishments for years we have microwaved the eggs. The result if done correctly is very quick and absolutely superb. Last time you tried it you were not shown the correct method or are you one of the many EXPERTS who has not even been shown correctly or tried it out? Go on try it again I can give you the correct method if you want wink.png

It is not I repeat NOT possible madam to eat breakfast food without the use of a frying pan!!

The first time I ever had microwaved scrambled eggs was in the late 70's. The BBC were doing an OB from the Birmingham Hippodrome and they set up a small office as a makeshift kitchen for the crew's food. No gas so they used a small ring for frying sausages, bacon and fried eggs, and a microwave for the scrambled eggs. I went back for seconds :)

Im not being a snob . Though , i may well seem like one . Its just i dont like microwaves .

I would have one as much as MrSmelly would have a composting toilet ?.

Its simply i have no need of one . To ME theyre just unnecessary and on a boat with possible consequences for battery life etc i think theyre even less desirable .

Most folk use one for reheating as opposed to cooking as such and i can do that with my gas stove & solid fuel stove - thats my point really .

Like much else with life , its horses for courses innit .

Cheers

Im not being a snob . Though , i may well seem like one . Its just i dont like microwaves .

I would have one as much as MrSmelly would have a composting toilet .

Its simply i have no need of one . To ME theyre just unnecessary and on a boat with possible consequences for battery life etc i think theyre even less desirable .

Most folk use one for reheating as opposed to cooking as such and i can do that with my gas stove & solid fuel stove - thats my point really .

Cheers

We are much the same as you.

Several years ago now we got rid of our microwave at home because it sat unused and taking up worktop space.

I would have one as much as MrSmelly would have a composting toilet .

Cheers

I have a microwave which is not used much, but it is good for reheating stuff.

I typically use it for 6 mins or less which equates to less than 10 AHrs. so frugal use does not kill the batteries.

It is good for a hot snack while cruising and with the engine running it does not use any 'battery' at all.

Yes it is.

Use a wok instead.

A full ENGLISH breakfast must, simply MUST include FRIED eggs. Ok so you dont have to do them in a proper frying pan but they do make a good fried egg as its what they are designed for. The full English is the only proper food to eat and is simply all much better fried anyway. Other food eaten at breakfast such as Saw dust ( muesli ) and fruit is simply wrong and should be against UK law and dont get me started on cereals or brown bread.

I understand the modern thinking on fried food and its health implications as my old Dad always had a full English and only survived till he was ninety wheras my mum usualy only has a bacon sandwich on white bread with lurpack butter ( I cooked her one yesterday ) and she is now 96 still I suppose if she had eaten muesli she would survive longer laugh.png

Yep, it's notable that the 'bread and dripping' generation all seem to live to a ripe old age. Me grandma 96, grandpa 94, father-in-law 91 etc

Yes strange isnt it that we are having a nhs crisis cos our numbers are living longer and longer and those that have lived the longest sure are from the bread and dripping and fried breakfast era and of course proper full fat milk etc era yet the thirty somethings are lecturing us all on a healthy diet frusty.gif .

Skimmed milk offs pleeeese rolleyes.gif

Not after brexit!!!!!!!!

Black pudding, bacon, eggs etc will again be a proper English breakfast and croissants will be back on the continental shelf where they belong.

A full ENGLISH breakfast must, simply MUST include FRIED eggs. Ok so you dont have to do them in a proper frying pan but they do make a good fried egg as its what they are designed for. The full English is the only proper food to eat and is simply all much better fried anyway. Other food eaten at breakfast such as Saw dust ( muesli ) and fruit is simply wrong and should be against UK law and dont get me started on cereals or brown bread.

I understand the modern thinking on fried food and its health implications as my old Dad always had a full English and only survived till he was ninety wheras my mum usualy only has a bacon sandwich on white bread with lurpack butter ( I cooked her one yesterday ) and she is now 96 still I suppose if she had eaten muesli she would survive longer laugh.png

We do occasionally have a full English. We just don't fry it. We grill most of it and have scrambled egg instead of fried.

A typical full English for us would be grilled turkey sausage, grilled black pudding, grilled mushroom and tomato, scrambled egg and reduced sugar and salt beans.

I love eggs in most forms including fried ones. Must say though I am really keen on poached eggs. Stuff fried in lard always tastes better, especially chips, but I avoid it these days. I agree about a full English too, there is nowt like it. If anybody is on the L&L they do a nice full English at St Mary's marina on the Rufford arm.

ps glad to see black pudding is now a super food smile.png always knew it was good for me.

Yep, it's notable that the 'bread and dripping' generation all seem to live to a ripe old age. Me grandma 96, grandpa 94, father-in-law 91 etc

Funny thing isn't it? My grandfather was shot twice during WW1, ate all kinds of stuff covered in lard and butter, and smoked Woodbines without filters. He too lasted until 94. I can remember him making toast on the coal fire, about 1 inch thich, then blathering Lurpack butter all over it, salted of course.

Edited by Guest

For years I cooked breakfasts with a large griddle, not a frying pan (and, yes, using the microwave for scrambled eggs. much the most sensible in a commercial context) so it is entirely possible to have a cooked breakfast without a frying pan!

I would like a microwave onboard, living alone I cook curries, chilli's, stews and other dishes that always end up with enough for three, so I pop these in a tub and freeze, currently I pop them back in a pan wand warm up, but sometimes this can dry some if the fluid from the meal, a microwave wild be handy to warm these up.

Don't think I will ever have one though due to the power consumption, or at least the heavy draw on the batteries.

I live alone most of the time and have a mains microwave on my boat which I use quite a lot. I eat well and find it very useful. I use it for cooking things like sweet potatoes in a few minutes, cooking frozen fish (usually better quality than so called "fresh fish") and for reheating pouches of wholegrain rice in 2 minutes. Saves on cooking brown rice and washing up.

I don't know where this idea comes from that if you use a microwave you're eating crap food? Some people need to wake up to the 21st century.

But I'd only ever use the microwave from shore power, never from the inverter/batteries.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

Oh yes, that's something else I too cook in the microwave - it's so much faster than the old-fashioned method.

Something about the texture too. I love porridge, but especially from the MW. We used to get frozen spinach from somewhere many years ago, and that was nuked in the MW. Nicest cooked spinach I have ever tasted. Fish can be especailly nice from MW too. However they are going to kill us all these microwaves; they are banned in some parts of America don't yer know?