Thoughts on this

Saul Bee

Featured Posts

Not so. We also have a sea toilet. It is plumbed into a holding tank for inland use and has a diverter valve for coastal use. An easy modification so no need to remove the toilet at all.

They are also still allowed to be used minus the holding tank on the Great Ouse for some reason.

They can be easily connected to a holding tank.

We also have a 'sea toilet' that can go into the holding tank.

Direct discharge is also allowed (legal) on the River Trent.

How long can you use your holding tank before you need to pump it out?

Depends how much we use it.

Yes Rachel, but your boat is modern and quite upmarket, the boat in the advert is neither of those things.

You've got to install a holding tank before easily connecting the bog - not a job for the casual DIY-er!

It isn't exactly rocket science wither though.

OK as we are dragging it out. On our boat 2 of us can use our toilet with a holding tank for over 3 weeks without using third party facilities between emptying it, how does that compare to your capacity.

On our boat with the two of us using it we can usually get in the region of a week out of the tank. We don't usually have to get it pumped out on a one week holiday for example, but on a two week trip we may depending on where we are travelling. If on the coast we only use the tank in port and empty it once out at sea.

Not sure what relevance this has to the OP though as the boat they are looking at will be able to fit a tank considerably larger then we can as we are restricted by weight.

I have spotted the odd one out: Fridge isn't a brand name! I think the Americans call(ed) them Bendixes.

Frigidaire was reputed to be the origin of the word fridge.

However, Wikipedia says (so it must be right!) .....although more likely simply an abbreviation of refrigerator which is a word known to have been used as early as 1611.

Frigidaire was reputed to be the origin of the word fridge.

However, Wikipedia says (so it must be right!) .....although more likely simply an abbreviation of refrigerator which is a word known to have been used as early as 1611.

Anyway, biro was missed off the list.

Whatever you do, dont light the stove. There's not an awful lot of information, someone has done some work in the recent past. I don't think its a Springer unless the re-bottoming was very radical.

I sent a message to the seller and asked if it was a Springer. So the advertiser is not the seller.

This is the reply :-

"Morning please contact Mick on 07889788715 as I have listed on his behalf

Many thanks "

£7,400 with 3 days to go, for which you get, quite a pleasant hull, yes it does look like a Swanline hull , an engine, presumably running, little else really, interior looks like a lot of ply , loo is definitely not ok, stove looks unsafe, cooker etc look manky, carpet? my dog wouldn't sit on that. Not a hope of a safety cert. without a really big heap of work. Its a project but for that money you could do better.

For anyone from beyond London it's a long slow journey to go and see a tired old boat. It wouldn't be far for me, but I'm managing to resist temptation quite easily. Of course anyone wishing to use it on the main canal system has to get it there; if it does have a sea toilet that might indicate that it's been at sea before and might be capable of the trip via Sheerness. Or maybe budget about £1000 to get a boat of that size moved to the Lea or GU by road?

Thanks people, having read through I am now well versed in brand names and have come to the conclusion that this is really going to be more of a project than I want to take on.

About an hour or so drive from me so might have been worth a punt if it had just meant some basic diy stuff but I think replacing stove, toilet and probably having to rewire starts to bring it into the realm of meh. Especially as the price is still climbing.

On our boat with the two of us using it we can usually get in the region of a week out of the tank. We don't usually have to get it pumped out on a one week holiday for example, but on a two week trip we may depending on where we are travelling. If on the coast we only use the tank in port and empty it once out at sea.

Not sure what relevance this has to the OP though as the boat they are looking at will be able to fit a tank considerably larger then we can as we are restricted by weight.

You were the one who compared it with your setup. The cheapest option for the OP would probably be to remove it and use a Portapotty or similar