Extending the stern on a GRP Narrowboat?

Chas78

Featured Posts

Hi All,

I have the chance to buy a GRP Narrowboat the hull and the top are GRP me and the wife really like this boat but the stern deck is a little small ie it's a semi trad are there any companies that could extend the stern of this boat ie to a larger Cruiser stern type ie for seating and making it a little more child friendly etc? I have attached a pic of the said boat which is 25ft if there are any companies that could do such a job or anyone can advise me on how to do this i would probably have a go myself or is this a no no any advice very much appreciated wink.png

post-26599-0-44162700-1484499656_thumb.jpg

Normally when boats are 'extended' they are cut-and-shut in the middle(ish) so as to avoid messing about with the 'expensive' parts of the structure.

If you just look to extend / enlarge the back end, your engine will be in the wrong place relative to the prop and propshaft - you will need to alter the whole geometry of the drive train.

Unless you are getting this boat at no cost, I would suggest that the 'extending' cost would be higher than buying a 'better' (more to your requirements) boat.

Alternatively just build a 'patio' overhanging the back end and move the rails, add a fender for when someone runs into you, or you reverse into something and away you go (at minimal cost)

• Greenie 1

Hi All,

I have the chance to buy a GRP Narrowboat the hull and the top are GRP me and the wife really like this boat but the stern deck is a little small ie it's a semi trad are there any companies that could extend the stern of this boat ie to a larger Cruiser stern type ie for seating and making it a little more child friendly etc? I have attached a pic of the said boat which is 25ft if there are any companies that could do such a job or anyone can advise me on how to do this i would probably have a go myself or is this a no no any advice very much appreciated wink.png

That looks like steel to me

Normally when boats are 'extended' they are cut-and-shut in the middle(ish) so as to avoid messing about with the 'expensive' parts of the structure.

If you just look to extend / enlarge the back end, your engine will be in the wrong place relative to the prop and propshaft - you will need to alter the whole geometry of the drive train.

Unless you are getting this boat at no cost, I would suggest that the 'extending' cost would be higher than buying a 'better' (more to your requirements) boat.

Alternatively just build a 'patio' overhanging the back end and move the rails, add a fender for when someone runs into you, or you reverse into something and away you go (at minimal cost)

Hi Alan,

The overhang idea is what i was thinking i am pretty good at fabricating things and welding so i think it may well be within my capabilities but i would dearly love to know if anyone has actually done this to a boat and if there are any pics thanks again wink.png

Is it a scam? Seems a bit weird, it looks like a steel boat, not many GRP narrowboats.

Anyway, extending a GRP narrowboat in this way would be complex, expensive and you'd never get your money back! That is, of course, if it even exists!

Walk away, find a boat you like that won't cost the Earth to modify and that will, hopefully, have some value when you come to sell it on. Good luck and safe cruising. ?

Hi Alan,

The overhang idea is what i was thinking i am pretty good at fabricating things and welding so i think it may well be within my capabilities but i would dearly love to know if anyone has actually done this to a boat and if there are any pics thanks again wink.png

I have a picture somewhere of one on the Nene. Are you confirming it is steel and not GRP?

Yeah i wondered about the grp part...

I would just put new rails on to make it child friendly, you can always ask people to step inside when needing to push the tiller over.

Plenty of boats about with larger cruiser decks.

How much is the boat advertised at?

Hi Dave,

The boat is GRP top and bottom it is moored buy my Highbridge so i know the boat well it is not advertised and being sold by someone i know for around £10k ish i love the idea of a GRP narrowboat that is why i am so interested in her biggrin.png

Edited by Chas78

Is it a scam? Seems a bit weird, it looks like a steel boat, not many GRP narrowboats.

Anyway, extending a GRP narrowboat in this way would be complex, expensive and you'd never get your money back! That is, of course, if it even exists!

Walk away, find a boat you like that won't cost the Earth to modify and that will, hopefully, have some value when you come to sell it on. Good luck and safe cruising.

Looks like a steel boat ,the Rads. on the Cabin do not look like they came from a Female Mould

Could the Boat be Plywood with Glass cloth Sheathing?

CT

Walk away, find a boat you like that won't cost the Earth to modify and that will, hopefully, have some value when you come to sell it on. Good luck and safe cruising.

This boat is not a scam and known to me it IS GRP top and bottom which is what attracts me to it i have searched for GRP narrowboats but they just don't exist my 12 year old grandson is smitten with it and wants me to buy it but it is just the safety bit that concerns me !!

This boat is not a scam and known to me it IS GRP top and bottom which is what attracts me to it i have searched for GRP narrowboats but they just don't exist my 12 year old grandson is smitten with it and wants me to buy it but it is just the safety bit that concerns me !!

I have never known GRP to rust, look where the top touches the deck just below the round porthole.

Time for the OP to do some basic physics, take a magnet to it.

I have never known GRP to rust, look where the top touches the deck just below the round porthole.

Also looks like checker plate decks and welded bollards to me, but if the OP has seen it I am sure he knows the difference between steep and GRP but his welding skills wont be much help in lengthening it.

The rust is NOT rust but peeling paint.

Also looks like checker plate decks and welded bollards to me, but if the OP has seen it I am sure he knows the difference between steep and GRP but his welding skills wont be much help in lengthening it.

You are correct they are metal checker plates and the bollards as you call them are in fact bolted to the plates

For a short boat it actually looks quite nicely in proportion. To cut the stern off and fit a couple of feet in looks like a hell of a job with small chance of success. I have never seen anything like this done on a GRP boat but the best way is probably the one that leaves the present boat relatively untouched, stick a bit out the back. 10 minutes with a bit of paper and a pencil should give you a few ideas, aluminium would be best as its lighter, it will never look very good but if you can make it easily removable then at least you can sell the boat at a later date.

• Greenie 1

Isn't it a "fibreline" boat. They were a short lived producer of GRP narrowboats although the others I've seen are about 45 foot....made somewhere in wales I seem to recall...think the chap got some sort of grant then realised they were not really what the market wanted.....and went bust!

Isn't it a "fibreline" boat. They were a short lived producer of GRP narrowboats although the others I've seen are about 45 foot....made somewhere in wales I seem to recall...think the chap got some sort of grant then realised they were not really what the market wanted.....and went bust!

It's made by an unknown maker that's all i know?

For a short boat it actually looks quite nicely in proportion. To cut the stern off and fit a couple of feet in looks like a hell of a job with small chance of success. I have never seen anything like this done on a GRP boat but the best way is probably the one that leaves the present boat relatively untouched, stick a bit out the back. 10 minutes with a bit of paper and a pencil should give you a few ideas, aluminium would be best as its lighter, it will never look very good but if you can make it easily removable then at least you can sell the boat at a later date.

Bee thanks for that wink.png

The rust is NOT rust but peeling paint.

You are correct they are metal checker plates and the bollards as you call them are in fact bolted to the plates

You might want to simply square off the stern, here is a pic of a squared off stern.

You might also want to fit a stern canopy.

Clearly the pics are simply generic, but might give you a way of making more room.

There are resin based sheets of material that you can buy, that are very weatherproof and very strong, sorry can't recall the brand.

Good luck, apologies for thinking it was steel.

Richard

post-27966-0-17201600-1484506253_thumb.jpeg

post-27966-0-90313200-1484506297_thumb.jpeg

• Greenie 1

Hi All,

I have the chance to buy a GRP Narrowboat the hull and the top are GRP me and the wife really like this boat but the stern deck is a little small ie it's a semi trad are there any companies that could extend the stern of this boat ie to a larger Cruiser stern type ie for seating and making it a little more child friendly etc? I have attached a pic of the said boat which is 25ft if there are any companies that could do such a job or anyone can advise me on how to do this i would probably have a go myself or is this a no no any advice very much appreciated ;)

What is the bow like? Is there room for people there? You will find that a lot of family's like spending cruising at the bow with steerer all alone or with another. If you know the owner suggest a day out with the family and see how the current space works for you both bow and stern.

You might want to simply square off the stern, here is a pic of a squared off stern.

You might also want to fit a stern canopy.

Clearly the pics are simply generic, but might give you a way of making more room.

There are resin based sheets of material that you can buy, that are very weatherproof and very strong, sorry can't recall the brand.

Good luck, apologies for thinking it was steel.

Richard

Thanks for the pics no probs with the mistake when the chap told me it was all GRP a few months ago i couldn't believe it either i have been on board and inside for a peek! You could not tell it was GRP as its boarded out and very tidy it's only when you look inside the cratch that you notice the GRP fibres in the blue paint as seen here wink.png

What is the bow like? Is there room for people there? You will find that a lot of family's like spending cruising at the bow with steerer all alone or with another. If you know the owner suggest a day out with the family and see how the current space works for you both bow and stern.

We intend to do exactly that before we take the plunge as it were biggrin.png

post-26599-0-60944900-1484507128_thumb.jpg

I see you already have a 27' highbridge crusader, these are really tough boats and with a canopy fore and aft can give you a great child friendly boat.

The highbridges normally had the Yamaha 10 high thrust petrol outboards, I just wonder why you want to go for a traditional look and spend time and money, when you have a boat that some might think better suited.

For us having spent 20+ years on the narrow canals with a GRP viking 23 we have always considered that steel was better than any GRP hull on the canals, although we admired the build quality and strength of the Highbridge. Far tougher than Norman, Atlanta and Viking hulls in my opinion.

Dawncraft, who built the Highbridge built some tough traditional cruisers too. In the 70's there were companies that hired these out to first timers.

Just my thoughts.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I have always wanted a Narrowboat it started as a child when i went on my friends dads 70footer at Knowle Solihull i totally agree with you about the Highbridge but the yearning for Narrowboat with an inboard diesel powered chug chug still exists. If my Highbridge was fitted with an inboard diesel perhaps i may not even be wanting a NB but i doubt it the reason i intitally bought the Highbridge was because it was as close to a NB as i could get without the price tag but now i am in the position to buy a NB albeit a GRP one hope this makes sense wink.png

If this is a semi-trad, presumably the stern deck feels a lot bigger - and has seating - with the hatch and back doors open? I can see why you might want to fit new, more child-friendly rails, but I wonder if your planned 'test drive' might reveal that the outside space at the stern is already a pretty good size, in proportion to the boat, for sociable cruising.