Telly reception at Bugsworth Basin

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

We got a better reception last summer just inside the entrance of the first left hand arm, just under the footbridge and roughly opposite the warden's boat. Regretfully it's further to walk to and from mine host, but nearer the bog.

If you don't need to stay in the basin, you could try going back out of the arm, turning right and mooring up before you get to the marina. Can't vouch for it personally as I don't have a telly but was told it was a good spot last time I was in the area by someone who errr... 'knew the area well'.

Edited by Señor Chris

Try pointing a decent aerial in the right direction (Winter Hill)?

Winter Hill is out of range amongst these hills. We have a choice of transmitters: Chinley, Ladder Hill and 2 in Whaley Bridge. I've tried pointing at each of them with the aerial in vertical mode but not getting anything.

We might move down to the Lime Kiln bit and try again.

With digital TV it tends to be all or nothing. Somewhere like Bugsworth is always going to be hit & miss. Sometimes just moving a few yards makes all the difference. Getting the aerial up as high as possible & using the correct polarity will also help. If the signal is coming from a repeater it will probably be vertically polarised & horizontal if from a main transmitter. The Polarisation for the Whaley Bridge/Bugsworth area is vertical.

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Whaley_Bridge

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/locations/Freeview

These links may help.

Edited by Flyboy

As others have said win hill is mostly unusable. I presume you've copied the aerial orientation and direction of the pub?

The ukfree.tv website suggests we point our aerial in vertical mode towards the Chinley transmitter which we have done but with no luck. We are going to move a bit later on and try again.

The ukfree.tv website suggests we point our aerial in vertical mode towards the Chinley transmitter which we have done but with no luck. We are going to move a bit later on and try again.

I think the best reception may be in the lower arm.

Navigation inn??

Fine beer and idle conversation beats pointless TV any day

Navigation inn??

Fine beer and idle conversation beats pointless TV any day

You're drinking too much at the Navigation and starting to repeat yourself!!

May I suggest that you take advantage of having no tv reception by getting out and enjoying the beautiful surroundings the high peak has to offer

Well yes, we are doing that but the sun sets before 4pm and we can't afford to spend 7 hours in the Navigation.

We've moved to the middle basin near the lime kilns and we can now pick up BBC and ITV HD off the Chinley transmitter. That'll do.