Spring Cruise BCN

Laurie Booth

Featured Posts

Birmingham Canal Navigations Society

SPRING CRUISE SATURDAY 8th APRIL 2017

Start - OCKER HILL 10-30am

Entry Form

The purpose of this cruise is to socially get together and cruise a part of the BCN while encouraging our members & friends without a boat or those whose boat is too far away to join this event.

If you are prepared to take passengers please indicate how many below.

The boats will leave in convoy from around Ocker Hill with boats moored on the end of the Tame Valley Canal close to the junction with the Walsall Canal on the Friday night to travel along the Walsall Canal to the Walsall Town Basin.

This is a one way trip spending Saturday night at Walsall Town Basin and enjoying an evening eating & drinking at The Black Country Arms High Street, Walsall WS1 1QW http://www.blackcountryarms.co.uk/If you wish to join us please let me know how many and I will send you a menu closer to the event to make your choices

On the Sunday there may be boats leaving Walsall via the Walsall Locks or returning along the Walsall Canal. Please indicate which route you are likely to use and I can link boats up to travel together if they wish.

On arrival in Walsall our passengers can travel back by bus or taxi to their cars left at Ocker Hill. Buses 11 & 311 travel from Walsall close to Ocker Hill.

Name ……………………………………………………

Address . ……………………………………………………………………………………

……………………………………………………….. Post Code

Telephone.................................................. mobile . …………………………………….

Email ………………………………………………………….

Name of Boat . ……………………………… Length ……………………….

Amount of passengers you are prepared to take ……………………………….

How many seats do you want me to reserve at The Black Country Arms? …………..

Return journey on the Sunday – Walsall Locks ………. or Walsall Canal ………..

I confirm that I hold third party insurance to an indemnity minimum of £1,000,000 (one million pounds)

Name ………………………….Signature.....................................Date ……………..

Return to boundarypost@gmail.com or post to Brenda Ward 9 Wylde Green Road, Sutton Coldfield B72 1HB

Or on your own as we've just done.

Has it improved at all since a few years ago? It used to be incredibly slow around the M6 bridge and generally shallow and full of rubbish between Darlaston and the edge of Walsall, but since we last did it I think it has been dredged a bit? We've tried to do it twice this year as part of a loop but stymied by the autumn works on the Rushall flight, and then the current works on the bridge and aqueduct on the W&E.

I had a horror trip down the Walsall last year, just after it had been 'cleared'. I don't intend to go back until the memories have properly faded. It's the one bit of the BCN which is still to be avoided IMO.

Yes it was definitely by far the worst bit when we did it a few years ago. But on the other hand, if no-one uses it, it won't get any better.

Yes it was definitely by far the worst bit when we did it a few years ago. But on the other hand, if no-one uses it, it won't get any better.

It's a chicken & egg conundrum. I do feel I've done my bit though, having cruised it three times in three years.

Has it improved at all since a few years ago? It used to be incredibly slow around the M6 bridge and generally shallow and full of rubbish between Darlaston and the edge of Walsall, but since we last did it I think it has been dredged a bit? We've tried to do it twice this year as part of a loop but stymied by the autumn works on the Rushall flight, and then the current works on the bridge and aqueduct on the W&E.

Actually the section between Walsall Town Arm and Ocker Hill was relatively trouble free. Didn't need to visit the weedhatch at all. Was buzzed by a kingfisher just out of Walsall. Walsall locks pretty grubby but Ryders Green the pits. Badly fouled prop dropping Jeannette off at the bottom lock, usual Asda trolleys under the footbridge, 2 low pounds, the bottom gate fitted to lock 4 earlier this year out of balance and one jammed anti vandal lock. And so much rubbish thrown in the water and along the towpath by the good people of Great Bridge. Then to cap it all, just before we arrived in the city centre, slowed down for a boat that was winding and promptly picked up a rucksack on the prop.

And, being masochists, we are heading back to Sneyd tomorrow so will be doing it again in reverse.

Actually the section between Walsall Town Arm and Ocker Hill was relatively trouble free. Didn't need to visit the weedhatch at all. Was buzzed by a kingfisher just out of Walsall. Walsall locks pretty grubby but Ryders Green the pits. Badly fouled prop dropping Jeannette off at the bottom lock, usual Asda trolleys under the footbridge, 2 low pounds, the bottom gate fitted to lock 4 earlier this year out of balance and one jammed anti vandal lock. And so much rubbish thrown in the water and along the towpath by the good people of Great Bridge. Then to cap it all, just before we arrived in the city centre, slowed down for a boat that was winding and promptly picked up a rucksack on the prop.

And, being masochists, we are heading back to Sneyd tomorrow so will be doing it again in reverse.

I don't know when you did Ryder's Green but they were recently "overhauled" by CRT (earlier this year) and when we did them shortly afterwards, everything seemed absolutely fine except for the shopping trolleys next to Asda, which are a disgrace.

I don't know when you did Ryder's Green but they were recently "overhauled" by CRT (earlier this year) and when we did them shortly afterwards, everything seemed absolutely fine except for the shopping trolleys next to Asda, which are a disgrace.

We did the Walsall twice last year on Fulbourne (3ft draft) and with the exception of the Asda pound and some gravel behind one of the Ryder's Green gates had no problems. It was certainly a massive improvement on when I first boated it in the 1980's

Tim

Yesterday!

We did it this autumn, didn't look at stoppages and went up the Rushall flight two weeks before they we supposed to be open but the work was almost finished and the flight opened as we got there. They only had tidying up and painting to finish as we went through. Had a good time only one trip to weed hatch in the two weeks we meandered through north Birmingham. Mooring places were occasionally scarce though.

We did Rushall in early December - I always like that flight and it was fine, not even a low pound. However they still haven't fixed the bottom gates on the lock in the trees - the gates are determined to close whether you want them to or not! We had to tie them open.

I did the Walsall earlier in October and it was fine. Certainly uncluttered by boats. I passed a couple of hire boats on the Curley Wurley, but that was it. Enjoyed mooring at Walsall. Apart from the spiffy gallery, very handy for exploring other Black Country spots on the bus.

Coming down the Walsall flight (I was hopping about and shinning down the ladders, being single-handed) a chap rushed up to ask if he could photograph my boat. He said although he'd been cycling along the towpath by the locks for more than 10 years, mine was the only boat he'd ever seen using them and wanted to capture the rare moment. I suggested he got my handbrake turn into the Town Arm on film, too.

Ryders Green wasn't too bad. I had done that part of the Walsall in the other direction a couple of years ago and things had improved since then. Only collected one propfull of mixed flex and overalls in the bottom lock.

I wouldn't hesitate to return, but shame I won't be nearby for the Spring Cruise.

There's a better, quicker and almost lock-free route from the city centre to Sneyd.

Great Bridge is truly the most rotten canal location I've ever been to.

I think it was 3 years ago we did The Walsall and thoroughly enjoyed it. We heard all the dire warnings about what to expect and kept an open mind ...

The Jonah's were wrong, we had a couple of trips down the weedhatch (one in each direction) and a very pleasant and quiet night in the basin. We would happliy go back.

Need to consult the diary what we have planned that weekend but if the weather is fair we may be boat painting

Much as I like the BCN the only reason I can think of for travelling along the Walsall Canal is to gather multiple points on the 24hr Challenge.

And what is wrong with that.

Actually we have done it twice (both ways) outside the BCN Challenge for fun rather than going all the way round the W&E which I find rather tedious, 5 hours of no junctions or locks or anything.

Whilst it is probably one of the worst bits of canal that we have done, it is not that slow except for the section in the "open" near the M6 crossing which is very slow going. Checking our BCN Challenge stats for Town Arm to Ocker hill, our running average speed in currently 3.08mph, which is going to include at least one weed hatch trip per passage.

Edited by john6767

We came up Ryders Green 3 weeks ago grinding over a few shopping trolleys in the bottom pound. There was a CRT working boat ahead and the crew were more than annoyed about the condition of the flight telling us they had cleaned it in May.

I walked 2km up the Walsall from Ocker Hill and came upon a boat that had run aground. The crew decided they couldn't continue and reversed before winding and going back to the Tame.

We came up Ryders Green 3 weeks ago grinding over a few shopping trolleys in the bottom pound. There was a CRT working boat ahead and the crew were more than annoyed about the condition of the flight telling us they had cleaned it in May.

I walked 2km up the Walsall from Ocker Hill and came upon a boat that had run aground. The crew decided they couldn't continue and reversed before winding and going back to the Tame.

Unless things have gone seriously down hill in the last 6 months I don't think that is a true reflection of the Walsall canal. It is not great for sure, but perfectly easily cruisable by anyone who is not adverse to visiting the weed hatch. I don't think we have ever seriously run aground.

Unless things have gone seriously down hill in the last 6 months I don't think that is a true reflection of the Walsall canal. It is not great for sure, but perfectly easily cruisable by anyone who is not adverse to visiting the weed hatch. I don't think we have ever seriously run aground.

I can only report what I saw. The boat ran aground just north of Bull's Bridge. It was stuck hard on mud and the crew needed to use their boat pole at the bow to push the boat off.

Edited by costalot