Rivers, check your boats

matty40s

Featured Posts

I thought that was Sileby?

MP.

It is indeed, there is no Syston Mill Lock, Thurmaston Lock and Junction Lock is the closest to Syston that the present navigation gets.

Shouldn't the title be changed to boaters check your river?

Have you got something relevant to add???

Nene warning issued this morning as MP said. Warning stated that several locks were closed and being used to deal with flood water

I'm at Billing at the moment which is between 2 monitoring stations. According to the EA at Bedford Rd Sluice the latest level recorded at 3pm was 1m compared to normal levels of 0.94m - 1.04m, while at Cogenhoe the latest level is 0.69m compared to normal levels of 0.27m - 0.61m.

It's certainly worth checking your ropes, but it's no big deal really.

Oh, lighten up! It was just a bit of humour!

Was that relevant or irrelevant humour? icecream.gif

Edited by blackrose

Hi ally , is the towpath passable over the wreake bridge near the harris yard?

I came from cossington this morning and the towpath just wasn't there.

Last I saw it's still underwater on the wreake section Cossington side of the bridge, some water lying syston side. I'm mostly away in daylight, but that was the last view today.

Was that relevant or irrelevant humour? icecream.gif

I don't mind humour, just not grammatical corrections when you are trying to give people who may not know the heads up.captain.gif

The water rose so rapidly on the Soar that there were two boats in Kathys marina had the ropes snagged which I freed when I got there. There were also some newbys got some very useful help, like , move your cars quick!!

The Nene is far better controlled than the Soar, and it takes far more water over a period to really challenge the boaters. There are large water reserves held above and below Northampton to control levels.

Indeed - the only one of the MMN locks to have completely been destroyed. But you can still see the site of it.

There are blocks and brickwork scattered everywhere in the general location, and yes, you can still tell it was a lock if you know what you are looking for!!

Last I saw it's still underwater on the wreake section Cossington side of the bridge, some water lying syston side. I'm mostly away in daylight, but that was the last view today.

Rickent, the towpath is clear this morning, from where I can see from the side hatch.

I don't mind humour, just not grammatical corrections when you are trying to give people who may not know the heads up.captain.gif

I wasn't correcting the grammar, just the logic. It was tongue-in-cheek. I should have added a smiley. As we can't edit titles, I thought that was obvious. biggrin.png

The Soar was just about in the amber at Sileby this afternoon. There were a couple of boats on the move. The current below the lock is still quite challenging when going downstream and made harder by a boat moored on the point where it hits the wall!!