Opinions plea

Hogwash

Featured Posts

Thank you magictime.

It was my wording, but yes you are right it is a good thing that I can CC in Yorkshire, and you advice was spot on.

Because I will be of no fixed abode as long as I sign on and follow the correct job search plan set out for me at my job centre then it will not matter where I am on the canal as long as I turn up for my appointments.

Thank you Allen,

I will do more research.

A member on here has a GRP (well equipped) boat for sale at £8,000 or offers.

Maybe you could stretch you budget a bit and 'do a deal', knowing you will be getting a good boat.

It is only about 10 miles way from me so if I can be of any help ............................

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=86077

Edit - she does have an out-drive (leg) so it would be worth investigating draft and available depths where you plan to cruise.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Thank you Mike,

I did look into mobile homes at first, but they want nearly £2000 in insurance once your classed as full time living, plus the cost of road tax. And I don't like the idea of parking on the streets, it wouldn't take long for police or council to give me hassle.

Just as a reminder - when you buy a boat the licence cannot be transferred to the new owner (just like a car), you will need to budget in £500+ for a new licence in your name.

You will of course need insurance in your name, but that will be nearer £200 than £2000.

Unless you buy a boat very close to 'home', you will also need to budget / plan on how to get it back ( truck, delivery skipper, or DIY) but remember the canal closures.

Renting a 'winter mooring' for 5 or 6 months (£500 ?) could save you that much in diesel and gas trying to keep your boat heated and batteries charged. Electricity provided by land line is (a rough approximation) just one-tenth the price of 'making your own' via the engine.

Just as a reminder - when you buy a boat the licence cannot be transferred to the new owner (just like a car), you will need to budget in £500+ for a new licence in your name.

You will of course need insurance in your name, but that will be nearer £200 than £2000.

Unless you buy a boat very close to 'home', you will also need to budget / plan on how to get it back ( truck, delivery skipper, or DIY) but remember the canal closures.

Renting a 'winter mooring' for 5 or 6 months (£500 ?) could save you that much in diesel and gas trying to keep your boat heated and batteries charged. Electricity provided by land line is (a rough approximation) just one-tenth the price of 'making your own' via the engine.

Alan's suggestion re a mooring is a good one, and in that situation, you could stay on an inexpensive GRP with 240 volts provided by a shore line, which can power whatever your electrical needs might be, and importantly, keep you warm with an oil filled radiator. As a person of 'no fixed abode' for JSA purposes, I presume, you could also do the same on a long term leisure mooring. Some have reasonable rules about staying on board, eg BWML, who allow you to stay for 28 days at a time. It's like staying in some caravan parks, where you only have to vacate for a day or so. There are also other marinas that don't really care about how long you stay, while some are pinnickety. It's all something to think about, and remember, with any mooring that has shore power, you'll be able to stay comfortable even in a GRP. I do it quite successfully in mine.

Edited by sal garfi

That's interesting, I have yet to read on this forum about people struggling on GRP boats in the winter, perhaps you could provide a link?

Have another read of what I said, because I didn't say I'd read about people struggling on GRP boats in winter. Frankly, I'd be surprised if there aren't any threads or posts on that subject, but it certainly isn't something I'd be recording links to!

I was relating my own experience of 'winter on a well set up Narrowboat' which I said is certainly not unpleasant but, because the well set up thing is not a universal given, I did indeed suggest that the OP could read on the forum about the trials and tribulations of folk in 'less well appointed vessels'. (As well he might: there are a myriad of threads from boaters generally about issues with heating, insulation, condensation, rainwater, wet bilges, mould, and battery charging problems to name but a few). I went on to give an opinion only (hence the IMHO) regarding GRP boats in winter and the hardiness of their owners, who I still think must be a rugged breed.

I trust that clears up any misunderstanding.

Alan's right about the mooring option - mooring a small GRP boat somewhere with shoreline power for a few months should 'only' cost you a few hundred pounds, and it's not as if the CCing option is free - you'd still need fuel for propulsion, heating and generating electricity. When you factor in the inconvenience of regular cruises on heavily locked stretches of canal in bad weather, it does start to sound like the more sensible option.

And on this point about how some GRP boats aren't suitable for shallower canals, it's worth noting that both the Rochdale and the Huddersfield Narrow are known for problems with water levels.

Thank you Allen, Sal, seadog and magic.

I have been looking at leisure mooring and the information from Sal interest me. I was wondering if I could get away with living on my boat at one these type of mooring.

I did once work with someone who did just that and said he had no hassle at all, he had a large boat about 50 feet I think and paid 35 pounds a week.

After all your help and information I think by planning well head and asking you great poeple on this site it could be possible. Please remember that my mortgage supplier has given me 2 month window in which to decide what I shall be doing with my property. I do not want to end up in a bedsit, I would prefere to live on a boat which I own.

It's not a well-known make, unless you're in East Anglia, but Fox boats are built like brick outhouses. I'd think that she's ex-hire, and she is pretty damned old. BUT Sawley Marina aren't daft, and if they're asking only £6,000 you can bet that a few serious and expensive issues need curing. I note that there is no photo of the engine.

She is now under offer, so you may not find out!

Oh, my.

Allen that boat would be perfect for me, but sadly out of my price range. I can only get extra cash once house is sold.

And your offer to offer advice is too kind for words, thank you so much.

You mention in your post that you would be claiming DWP benefits.

Whilst a project boat would certainly keep you out of mischief, if you are claiming means-tested benefits then you would also be eligible for Housing Benefits etc.

An old project boat would be a vast sink of money, even if you did carry out the work by yourself.

I Had a Dawncraft 22 with a small pot belly stove in it, easily got warm and toasty, but as others have said, there can be problems generating enough power to charge batteries, especially with an older outboard. I have n outboard on my small narrowboat but it's a new ish 20 hp Honda that gives enough on a days cruise to top up the batteries. All my lights are led. Inboard engine would be better. Presume you are in hebden, (I'm moored near Rochdale Summit). I think CRT say a ccers must cruise over a range of 20 miles, I think that is achievable between Castleton, Rochdale and Sowerby or Elland or Brighouse, without going on the rivers. There are petrol stations regularly spread along that route, you are also on the train line. There's also an app for finding petrol stations for the phone.

You mention in your post that you would be claiming DWP benefits.

Whilst a project boat would certainly keep you out of mischief, if you are claiming means-tested benefits then you would also be eligible for Housing Benefits etc.

An old project boat would be a vast sink of money, even if you did carry out the work by yourself.

Presumably, if you are eligible for benefits, you haven't got the money to buy and fit out a project boat?