Running Barrus Shire 40 without an air filter.

Featured Posts

This morning when I started up our Barrus Shire 40 there was lots of whiteish greyish smoke and she wouldn't rev above 1500 in neutral because of coughing and spluttering. I removed the air filter and all was ok, then put it back on and the symptoms returned. So, a new air filter is required. We were in Middlewich this morning so popped into King's Lock Chandlery but they didn't have one.

So, is it ok to run without the filter for a few days until I can source another one? Also, we're heading up the T&M Cheshire Locks then onto the Macc and Peak Forest, does anyone know of a Barrus stockist along the way?

Remove the filter. Put a scotchbrite green pad over intake, secured with elastic band. Marine engines do not live in the dust like car or tractor engines and only need a coarse filter to keep leaves out.

If you do this make absolutely certain that no way can it get sucked in.

.............Dave

Nanni engines do not have air filters. 12000 hrs and counting. As previously stated the air below decks is cleaner than what your car faces following in the slipstream of the vehicle in front.

I suppose if it was totally unnecessary yours wouldn't have become blocked but not having one doesn't seem to be a big issue.

As Tony states, our Vetus ran without one for years (until I fitted one.) It is not like a car that kicks up loads of dust off the road. Better with one IMHO, but don't lose sleep over it.

Edited by Guest

This morning when I started up our Barrus Shire 40 there was lots of whiteish greyish smoke and she wouldn't rev above 1500 in neutral because of coughing and spluttering. I removed the air filter and all was ok, then put it back on and the symptoms returned. So, a new air filter is required. We were in Middlewich this morning so popped into King's Lock Chandlery but they didn't have one.

So, is it ok to run without the filter for a few days until I can source another one? Also, we're heading up the T&M Cheshire Locks then onto the Macc and Peak Forest, does anyone know of a Barrus stockist along the way?

My mind is wondering when was the air filter last changed. Surely changing it is part of the normal service.

How long has it taken to get blocked?

My mind is wondering when was the air filter last changed. Surely changing it is part of the normal service.

How long has it taken to get blocked?

Filters are not always changed every service, sometimes just checked and blown out with an air gun or similar. Boat engines as said above do not really have to put up with a lot of dirty air in most cases.

Filters are not always changed every service, sometimes just checked and blown out with an air gun or similar. Boat engines as said above do not really have to put up with a lot of dirty air in most cases.

:) Maybe this one has been blown out once too often. I am trying to think of the last time I heard or knew of a boat diesel being choked by its air filter.

In which case how has the filter become so blocked as it stops the engine going above tickover ?

Service routine (for me) every 200 hours

Change oil filter (x2)

Change oil (2x 28 litres)

Change fuel Filter (x6)

Change air filter (x2)

Check fan belt. (x2)

Check / replace water pump impellor (x2)

Well, I do my own servicing and I've just looked up when I last changed it. I could have sworn it was not long ago but it's about 1500 hours. I think the book says 750 hours but at £30 a filter it tends to get extended a bit! To be honest I do take a look at it each oil change (250 hours) and it looked ok, in fact it looks ok even now but obviously it's not!

Found one for £15 ish on ebay, trouble is getting it delivered to a moving boat!

My elephants trunk makes sure no leaves fall into the engine, no filter here either, but a mere spring chicken at 73 years old.

I changed all mine to the old fashioned oil bath air cleaners. Quick and easy to clean. Interesting there is always dirty in the oil, which has not gone into the engine.

Since fitting an air filter on the Vetus, I have found mainly dog hairs in it, an amazing amount of dog hairs considering our dogs are not supposed to shed!

We change it once per year and get replacements from Filtermania.com at very good price.

Edited by Guest

I took a train ride today from Kidsgrove to Stafford and visited the extremely knowledgeable and hepful Filtermania. The Baldwins air filter cost £12.60 (+vat). Last time I bought one of these it was getting on for 30 quid. I also stocked up on oil and fuel filters at very reasonable prices too.

They are easily accessible by foot from the bridge 94 on the Staffs & Worcester. They do online stuff too.

I took a train ride today from Kidsgrove to Stafford and visited the extremely knowledgeable and hepful Filtermania. The Baldwins air filter cost £12.60 (+vat). Last time I bought one of these it was getting on for 30 quid. I also stocked up on oil and fuel filters at very reasonable prices too.

They are easily accessible by foot from the bridge 94 on the Staffs & Worcester. They do online stuff too.

Great guy at Filtermania. I order all my filters online from them. Sounds like the same air filter that I use from the price. I always get a years supply of stuff to save on postage; saves me a fortune ;)

We'll, I'll go t' t'foot of our stairs! I didn't realise that. Must remember to make an amendment to my Nicholsons. Do they have a sign by the bridge? They should.

We have found stuff like this along the canal over the years, and said exactly the same thing. Why don't more businesses have a sign? Are they not (technically) allowed to perhaps?

We have found stuff like this along the canal over the years, and said exactly the same thing. Why don't more businesses have a sign? Are they not (technically) allowed to perhaps?

Dunno, but if someone puts up a sign saying "Happy 50th Birthday Wayne" it's pretty often still there when Wayne's collecting his pension! (The balloons will have gone down though)

If it were my business, I'd risk a tasteful sign. Still, it's not my business :D