Appoaching Woolhampton Lock on the K & A

Workhorse

Featured Posts

Hopefully the flow should be a bit less now than at Easter when we went downstream turned and came back upstream...bit of a mistake really!!

I know that the flow is a lot less now through Newbury..

The main thing seems to be to keep heading into the current at all times following the curve of the right-hand bank all the way to the lock entrance and then turn right into the lock.

Don't head directly to the lock as the current will catch you ,take you sideways and you'll hit the bank or the boat thats moored there..

I know this from first hand experience!! :)

Also apparently there is a small sand bank just downstream of the spot where the river enters the channel, another reason not to head straight for the lock

Another thing to avoid is a sunny sunday lunch time when 100 plus people will be in the pub garden all willing you to provide them with some thrills and spills!!! ;)

Good luck and hope you have a good trip the K&A is wonderful .....let us know how you get on.

Gillie :D

Hopefully the flow should be a bit less now than at Easter when we went downstream turned and came back upstream...bit of a mistake really!!

I know that the flow is a lot less now through Newbury..

The main thing seems to be to keep heading into the current at all times following the curve of the right-hand bank all the way to the lock entrance and then turn right into the lock.

Don't head directly to the lock as the current will catch you ,take you sideways and you'll hit the bank or the boat thats moored there..

I know this from first hand experience!! :)

Also apparently there is a small sand bank just downstream of the spot where the river enters the channel, another reason not to head straight for the lock

Another thing to avoid is a sunny sunday lunch time when 100 plus people will be in the pub garden all willing you to provide them with some thrills and spills!!! ;)

Good luck and hope you have a good trip the K&A is wonderful .....let us know how you get on.

Gillie :D

Hi Gillie

Do you turn right into the Lock, or should it have been "turn left"?

We came up two weeks ago and although it's a little better than at Easter it is still flowing strongly, the recent rain has probably added to the flow. Make sure you set the lock then open the swing bridge and follow Gillies advice. Don't worry too much about the moored boat it's hung with old tyres so you won't do any damage.

Another one to watch out for is Fobney Lock, there is a Mill stream from the right and a byewash from the left as you approach, then just as you reach the lock another flow from the right at the lock entrance. Trick is to aim for the end of the landing stage to let the crew off

Enjoy the trip. :)

Ken

Newbury lock can also be a bugger! also with a pub full of people waiting for the free entertainment. I find a few extra turns on the sphincter adjustment is a good idea.

I once piloted a brand new 100k boat from Padworth to Reading with its new owners who had never been out on a boat before.....To say they were green would be an understatement.....and this was before the improvements made to the Brewery Gut....

Yes, the River Kennet is not for the feint hearted..........

Hi Gillie

Do you turn right into the Lock, or should it have been "turn left"?

It is a right turn as you come out of the right hand curve....

@ kenk ""Don't worry too much about the moored boat it's hung with old tyres so you won't do any damage""...actually you are wrong..!!! :)

Workhorse - From your dates it looks like you are heading off soon

Last year we hired a boat on the late may bank holiday weekend, and Woolhampton is one of the first locks we had ever been through - which is scarey enough when the current is in full flow <- probably not helpful :)

however just to make it more fun - there was a boat race on the friday - dragon boats I believe from London to Hungerford - I'm not sure whether its an annual event - if so watch out!

one of the organisers wanted their boat to go into the lock before us, and was shouting at my husband to stop mid manoeuvre between the bridge and the lock, of course the current took him, and he was lucky not to damage the boat. Fortunately the rowers were great and pretty understanding

A bit of a rambling story, but just look out for them if they are about this year

If you can give us a boat name, and perhaps pm me a mobile number, we may be able to share a beer at the western end of the canal. I know ALL the pubs!!

Hi Snibble

Our boat name is Out of Sight.

Where about are you moored, I'll keep a look out for you.

Can't be sure we'll be able to stop for a drink, pretty tea total actually, well the odd glass of wine.

Lets wait and see.

James

I should be in the Bradford on Avon area over the bank holiday weekend. Look for a scruffy bloke with a half painted 50' Colecraft with no name displayed (505352).

pretty tea total actually
(shudder)

The crossed guns at avoncliff does FANTASTIC sunday lunches, very well priced, worth timing a journey for.

Oh yea, look out for a boat with a little polar bear sitting on the roof. His name is Shackleton so give him a shout.

Edited by snibble

I should be in the Bradford on Avon area over the bank holiday weekend. Look for a scruffy bloke with a half painted 50' Colecraft with no name displayed).

(shudder)

The crossed guns at avoncliff does FANTASTIC sunday lunches, very well priced, worth timing a journey for.

Oh yea, look out for a boat with a little polar bear sitting on the roof. His name is Shackleton so give him a shout.

Hi Snibble

Won't be around that area until around the 29th, might bump into you. We'll look out for you.

James

@ kenk ""Don't worry too much about the moored boat it's hung with old tyres so you won't do any damage""...actually you are wrong..!!! B)

Is this a confession? :captain:

Ken

Might be !! :cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I am due to go from the Thames to Bristol in about a week, and would like some advice on approaching the Woolhampton Lock No. 94 going up stream from the bridge. Is it much of a problem?

I have just done this lock myself, the advice I got was to use lots of power. Worked for me not so for the newbies who didnt seem to like the noise and kept taking the power off.

Edited by Maffi

• 8 years later...

I know this is an old topic but sunday gone a hire boat was coming downstream, they didn't open the bridge and tried to land outside the pub. They got a bow line secure then the current got the stern and the boat went across the canal, the rudder grounded and the tiller must have flicked over and broke the pilots rib and knocked him off. The air ambulance was there but not required.

Its a bugger that stretch, even with the bridge open you have to travel faster than the flow to steer which makes picking your crew up interesting!

I know this is an old topic but sunday gone a hire boat was coming downstream, they didn't open the bridge and tried to land outside the pub. They got a bow line secure then the current got the stern and the boat went across the canal, the rudder grounded and the tiller must have flicked over and broke the pilots rib and knocked him off. The air ambulance was there but not required.Its a bugger that stretch, even with the bridge open you have to travel faster than the flow to steer which makes picking your crew up interesting!

This is why you shouldn't stand in the arc of the tiller, however I reckon from my casual observations that over 75% of steerers do.

This is why you shouldn't stand in the arc of the tiller, however I reckon from my casual observations that over 75% of steerers do.

Is also why you should alight with the stern line and secure the stern first when mooring downstream. This is really important, as this incident illustrates.

Opps, just noticed Martyn's post 20 making the same point!

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old topic but sunday gone a hire boat was coming downstream, they didn't open the bridge and tried to land outside the pub. They got a bow line secure then the current got the stern and the boat went across the canal, the rudder grounded and the tiller must have flicked over and broke the pilots rib and knocked him off. The air ambulance was there but not required.

Its a bugger that stretch, even with the bridge open you have to travel faster than the flow to steer which makes picking your crew up interesting!

I had a chat with some guys at one of the hire bases along there when I went through. One of them said they play a bit of a game once they are through the bridge (going downstream). If they can stop for the first bollard it is 'gold' medal, if they can stop for the second bollard it is a 'silver' medal and if they can stop for the third bollard it is 'bronze' medal, after the third bollard it becomes a bit of an 'oh bugger' momenthuh.png

If you cant stop to pick up crew its a very pleasant walk down to Aldermaston so I never feel too bad.

Need a lot of revs to get through the bridge safely so it takes a fair bit of stopping on the lock landing but its nice deep water so you can always overshoot a bit then do a full power reverse to the lock landing.

I reckon smaller manoeuvrable boats can usually stop between lock and bridge but long heavy boats have no chance.

......................Dave