Appoaching Woolhampton Lock on the K & A

Workhorse

Featured Posts

I know this is an old topic but sunday gone a hire boat was coming downstream, they didn't open the bridge and tried to land outside the pub. They got a bow line secure then the current got the stern and the boat went across the canal, the rudder grounded and the tiller must have flicked over and broke the pilots rib and knocked him off. The air ambulance was there but not required.

Its a bugger that stretch, even with the bridge open you have to travel faster than the flow to steer which makes picking your crew up interesting!

we happened to be walking up from Aldermaston for a drink at the Rowbarge and arrived about 5 mins before the Air Ambulance. The boat (a 45ft Hire Boat) was right across the flow of the river and I helped the guy from the yard along with a couple other boaters and passing canoeists (sp?) with getting the boat back alongside safely. Was glad to hear that the helmsman didn't need to be airlifted to hospital, could have been a lot worse.

This is why you shouldn't stand in the arc of the tiller, however I reckon from my casual observations that over 75% of steerers do.

It's a bit of a generality to say that you shouldn't stand in the arc of the tiller. It would be a bit of a challenge to get back on board my Trad stern boat after negotiating a lock without getting into the arc of the tiller (I suppose that I could come in across the roofunsure.png ).

Whilst I'm in total agreement that it is potentially fatal to get into the arc of the tiller whilst travelling in reverse, and as in the incident related above risky when manoevring at low speed, I will freely admit to being one of those 75% of steerers that you see standing in the arc of the tiller whilst travelling in a forward direction at normal speed on the canal. In three years of many things caught around the prop I cannot think of a single incident in which standing in this position has put me in at any risk. I should add that I do not have those raised seats at the back of some trad sterns which I do see a risk with since if knocked over the side by the tiller arm you'd invariably fall head first into the cut.

We've been through the lock and stopped at the pub. Just make sure you get a stern line on first. And keep as far to the right as possible.

Martyn

There used to be signs to the effect that the bollards outside the pub were for lock or bridge operation only, they should be removed in my opinion.

A Sunday lunchtime pint in the garden in summer is, almost, guaranteed the entertainment provided by unwary boaters attempting stop outside the pub.

Keith

So for a single hander coming downstream, the technique must still to open the bridge before leaving the lock. That must hold up the traffic an awfully long time!

My concern coming downstream the other week solo was being able to stop at the lock landing past the swing bridge, get that wrong and the cars would be held up a while! Lucky a fellow boater did the bridge for me