Elusive Broadband

swift1894

Featured Posts

I have data and wifi switched off on my phone....but I've caught it out once or twice...with a little wifi sign when I'm not looking..

I also had it 'ting' once or twice with a new Facebook notification even though there was no data connection..

When I 'uninstalled' Facebook..my data usage went down considerably.

• 2 months later...

I'm going to have to kick iCloud into touch.

In 7 days My iPad has gone through 9Gb of data !!!!!!!!!! out of a monthly mobile allowance of 12Gb, without me doing anything apart from a few Skype calls and a negligible amount of surfing.

This has only started happening since I subscribed to iCloud to store my photos.

I can't see what is using up this amount of Gb (is there any way to find out?), so I'm assuming it must be iCloud.

Any suggestions as to how I could identify the culprit?

I ran out of data (15Gb/month deal) on a Three Dongle today and phoned them up to see if I could buy some more. "No," they said, "you're on an old contract. Let me put you through to Upgrades".

By the end of the conversation I had the £30/month package which was reduced to £23/month for only £13/month, which is £2.95/month less than I was paying before. Plus I get 20Gb/month, which is 33% more. Plus I get a free MiFi.

I'm kinda glad I ran out of data now :lol:

I ran out of data on one of my WiFi's because windows dumped a huge anniversary download in us last week, 20gb gone, luckily we still have 3gb left on our back up WiFi.

Phil

Did it download ok?...Ive not updated on that computer cos little sis's computer had hissy fit and got stuck in a loop due to interrupted internet signal and computer nerd had to ride out on his trusty steed to rescue her.....and with my history in Horror House I just don't think I'll risk anything house can mess up.

Did it download ok?...Ive not updated on that computer cos little sis's computer had hissy fit and got stuck in a loop due to interrupted internet signal and computer nerd had to ride out on his trusty steed to rescue her.....and with my history in Horror House I just don't think I'll risk anything house can mess up.

To be honest, as with all these downloads that Windows foist on you, the only obvious thing is there seems to be no onscreen off button so have to use the one on the lappy. However the update took a couple of hours to download and same to install, so must have been huge, as for the lappy, well it just won't do as it's told at the moment and is going to need some serious fettling. I have not found a way to stop Mr Gates from doing this sort of thing Grrr.

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

I ran out of data (15Gb/month deal) on a Three Dongle today and phoned them up to see if I could buy some more. "No," they said, "you're on an old contract. Let me put you through to Upgrades".

By the end of the conversation I had the £30/month package which was reduced to £23/month for only £13/month, which is £2.95/month less than I was paying before. Plus I get 20Gb/month, which is 33% more. Plus I get a free MiFi.

I'm kinda glad I ran out of data now laugh.png

Can someone translate this into english please?

Can someone translate this into english please?

Sure.

They had a £30/month deal for 20Gb.

It was on offer at £23/month.

They gave it to me for £13/month.

Tony

I used to pay £15.95 for 15Gb so I'm saving £2.95/month.

I used to get 15Gb and now I'm getting 20Gb.

Sure.

They had a £30/month deal for 20Gb.

It was on offer at £23/month.

They gave it to me for £13/month.

Tony

I used to pay £15.95 for 15Gb so I'm saving £2.95/month.

I used to get 15Gb and now I'm getting 20Gb.

Thats how I read it.

With WIN 10 there is no option to turn off automatic updates. However there is a workaround, make sure you are connected to the relevant WiFi 1st, then (all left click)
Start button> settings> network & internet>(select WiFi) advanced options> & then set "metered connection" to on

Edited for clarity

Edited by Ssscrudddy

Okay, I was going to post asking questions, but I think this has answered them.

I have a moble phone and a 4g MIFI: At the lodgings and the office I don't use the Mifi as I have landline wifi there. It's for the boat.

I lent the MIFI to Sara as she was without internet at home. Big data allowance and whilst she wanted to watch a video on facebook I wasn't worried, it would be about 500mb.

All my data went, 4GB of it:

After a brief check we had another go, 4GB disappeared overnight! Sara was asleep for much of this time.

Sara had her phone hooked up to it, a Huwaei (spelling?) with android, and I guess her Ipad. I don't hook my phone to it as it shares the data with the MIFI anyway.

I guess what you are saying is that Sara's phone or Ipad took all my data with updates...

Okay, I was going to post asking questions, but I think this has answered them.

I have a moble phone and a 4g MIFI: At the lodgings and the office I don't use the Mifi as I have landline wifi there. It's for the boat.

I lent the MIFI to Sara as she was without internet at home. Big data allowance and whilst she wanted to watch a video on facebook I wasn't worried, it would be about 500mb.

All my data went, 4GB of it:

After a brief check we had another go, 4GB disappeared overnight! Sara was asleep for much of this time.

Sara had her phone hooked up to it, a Huwaei (spelling?) with android, and I guess her Ipad. I don't hook my phone to it as it shares the data with the MIFI anyway.

I guess what you are saying is that Sara's phone or Ipad took all my data with updates...

When my laptop packed up last trip and I used the Ipad for about 4 days, switching it off when not in use I used loads more data.

In other words Ipads swallow data at a much faster rate than non apple devices?

My iPad hardly uses any, however it's a GSM version so uses mobile data, but if connected via wifi and on charge it will do a backup to iCloud if you have it enabled (can't remember if this is default setting of not). You can turn this auto update and backup features off in the settings app.

Edited by Robbo

I'm using a Three dongle on my laptop with Windows 10, and inexplicably I ran out of data mid-month when I never have before. I had been using the internet in the same way I have been for the last year, and even probably using less than normal as I hadn't been streaming anything.

I am still at a loss, and can't see anything eating my allowance.

I can't seem to find the "metered connections" option as outlined above? I'm not sure that is it either way.

As you're on Win10 it would have performed an update a couple of weeks back. And it was big.

I agree. I m using Win10 at the moment after packing my Ubuntu laptop away ready for moving. Win10 is heavy on data when tethered to my iphone. Can't wait to get the Ubuntu machine back in action.

I'm using a Three dongle on my laptop with Windows 10, and inexplicably I ran out of data mid-month when I never have before. I had been using the internet in the same way I have been for the last year, and even probably using less than normal as I hadn't been streaming anything.

I can't seem to find the "metered connections" option as outlined above? I'm not sure that is it either way.

I can read my data use by going to My Three

try this:

Bottom right is an icon for your wi-fi/internet connection.

left click,

your connection should appear

left click,

properties should appear.

left click, properties

and your in or should be.

As you're on Win10 it would have performed an update a couple of weeks back. And it was big.

So true had to do it on two laptops, did one manually when first heard of (months ago) and the other one did it automatically, recently

Well the whole of my 12Gb monthly allowance has been used up in 10 days!

I can't believe it's not possible to find out where it's been used.

Surely there's a way to see where it's disappearing to on my iPad.

This never used to happen until I subscribed to the iCloud to store my photos, but that could just be a coincidence.

Well the whole of my 12Gb monthly allowance has been used up in 10 days!

I can't believe it's not possible to find out where it's been used.

Surely there's a way to see where it's disappearing to on my iPad.

This never used to happen until I subscribed to the iCloud to store my photos, but that could just be a coincidence.

If the GSM version and not via wifi;

settings -> mobile data -> usage

Edited by Robbo

For Win 10 only. All left click. Make sure you are already connected to your Wifi

Start button> settings (opens new window)> network & internet> select WiFi > (in the next column) advanced options> then you should see the toggle for metered connection. (which will stop automatic windows updates, you will need to do them manually)

try this:

Bottom right is an icon for your wi-fi/internet connection.

left click,

your connection should appear

left click,

properties should appear.

left click, properties

and your in or should be.

So true had to do it on two laptops, did one manually when first heard of (months ago) and the other one did it automatically, recently

This doesnt work on Win 10, all it does is give you the option to connect or disconnect, it doesnt give you properties.