Talk me out of a narrow boat? :)

SimonM

Featured Posts

Instantly we know this will be a basket case without even clicking the link.

I did click the link, and actually it's not especially daft. It's a 57 foot Collingwood, the aft deck isn't as proportionately long as, say, some Springers, and it has inward-facing benches - which are a common feature of Napton Narrowboats, for example. Not my kind of boat, but looks pleasant enough inside.

I bought DQ through GHBS.

No issues at all, very pleasant anday professional all people to deal with.

I tHinksey Neil2 is referring to the terms relating to the deposit. Something like repairs identified by the survey must cost 5% or more of the purchase price if the boat is rejected and the deposit to be fully returned IIRC.

I saw this as a device to stop "fender kickers" wasting too much time.

Thanks cuthound, that makes sense.

I'm not the sort of guy to back out of a deal, or indeed chip a price after the fact, so this is fine by me. At the end of the day I've done the maths, and going into this well aware it is going to cost.

Like a lot of brokers GH do lock you into the sale at the point of deposit but at GH they also limit your room for negotiation post survey. An offer is usually made "subject to survey" and in most cases anything material that the surveyor finds will be used to renegotiate the price. At Great Haywood they consider that this is only the case if the value of the work exceeds the amount by which your offer undercuts the asking price.

For example, the boat is advertised at £40k, you offer £38k subject to survey. If subsequently your surveyor finds work up to the value of £2000 you do not get to renegotiate the price as they take the view you have already got £2k off the asking price.

That was the case the last time I looked at their website.

Edited by Neil2

I googled Whitfield, and that certainly takes quirky to a new level!

However this slightly unusual one is plucking at my inner 12 year old's heartstrings:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2176938/Homemade-U-Boat-sails-English-canal-goes-sale-30-000.html

biggrin.pngbiggrin.png

IIRC the former owner is doing serious porridge.

Funny boat, hilarious - after 30 mins not so.

Edited by mark99

So spent the afternoon driving round Rugby/Northampton area.

Saw 9 boats in total, the first one out at Blisworth was almost a winner, but the cross bed and me being 6'3" meant it had to be ruled out. For someone shorter I'm sure it would make a fantastic boat, clearly well looked after.

http://rugbyboats.co.uk/listings/egret-51ft-cruiser-stern-narrowboat-2012/

Nothing at Whilton stood out, but it did go to show how important a good fit-out is. I also get the impression the list price on many are priced to do deals.

ABNB at Crick stood out as very professional, fantastically detailed information packs, and priced sensibly. We have taken a couple of brochures to mull over.

One being well over initial budget, and open saloon area needing some thinking about guest sleeping, but the detail on the boat was absolutely first rate. (Oh and I thought the folding doors in the semi-trad sides were a neat touch)

http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3034web/3034abnb.php?BoatID=3034

The other being nigh on perfect bar a cramped dinette bunk that when converted to a sleigh style bed which would be too short for my eldest who's the same height as me, oh and now my better half has added "duck hatch" to the mandatory requirement list :D

http://www.abnb.co.uk/boat_pages/3053web/3053abnb.php?BoatID=3053

Busy day!!!

I have admired boats from afar for years, have hired for the second time this year and now want to live on one with all my heart. Alas, Mrs Neal, not so much

I even fell into the canal last week and ruined my phone in the pouring rain, and STILL have zero intention of talking you out of it..............allow me to live through you!!!! ??

:)

I did the same last year, right up to my neck. Yes it was cold and the look om my wifes face when i stood there soaked to the skin emptying water out of my wellies was priceless.

Don't be so sure: he's already thrown himself in the canal voluntarily - see post #39! The guy's a born boater I tell you. biggrin.png

I don't know that I would go so far as to say voluntarily!!! But actually, I quite enjoyed it in a messed up kind of way! (except the phone thing - that was annoying!)

So the deal is done!

54 ft "Castle Class" originally supplied from Nottingham's Castle Marina using a SWDS Hull, previous owner from new.

Reverse layout with mid kitchen, diesel fired stove (not as quaint, but arguably more convenient), pump out toilet, 1600w inverter, beta engine, all in near original condition.

Mooring spot secured at Castle Marina (walking distance from work). All in all I think every box has been ticked!

Waiting on survey, but hopefully we'll be cruising within a fortnight.

So the deal is done!

54 ft "Castle Class" originally supplied from Nottingham's Castle Marina using a SWDS Hull, previous owner from new.

Reverse layout with mid kitchen, diesel fired stove (not as quaint, but arguably more convenient), pump out toilet, 1600w inverter, beta engine, all in near original condition.

Mooring spot secured at Castle Marina (walking distance from work). All in all I think every box has been ticked!

Waiting on survey, but hopefully we'll be cruising within a fortnight.

Boat??? You've bought a boat???

Now you're in trouble!

T.

lol... I suspect that would cost me so much as to see me sailing a Topper ;) Who knows though enough time on the water, and she might even join me one year on a sailing yacht ;)

:(

Talking about trading in wives.

I was invited to a wife swap party once, I didn't go as I don't like to see people getting ripped off.!!

Is she watching this?!!!!

• Greenie 1