First experience of canal rage.

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

I like to look round after someone has passed me if they have moved over massively to see what mess they have made of things, in the last trip I saw one grounded in the trees and two failing to navigate the bend as they had clearly been thinking more about having 10ft between us than steering round the corner so they ended up running up the bank.

I like to look round after someone has passed me if they have moved over massively to see what mess they have made of things, in the last trip I saw one grounded in the trees and two failing to navigate the bend as they had clearly been thinking more about having 10ft between us than steering round the corner so they ended up running up the bank.

I met a boat earlier this summer on the GU--it looked like a brand spanking new Hudson-- which the steerer ran severely aground as we passed each other, accompanied by the sound of crockery smashing and wife screaming coming from the galley. My boat was just off the centre of the canal, his virtually on the towpath.

I met a boat earlier this summer on the GU--it looked like a brand spanking new Hudson-- which the steerer ran severely aground as we passed each other, accompanied by the sound of crockery smashing and wife screaming coming from the galley. My boat was just off the centre of the canal, his virtually on the towpath.

I believe they prefer this to risking that any of the "rivets" may get knocked off!

• Greenie 2

Yeahbut, they behaved like gentlemen (and women) and pulled over to let us through.

:captain:

Spey is a lovely boat.

Actually Rob-M helped them through the bridge hole heaving on a line while I gave a helping shove from behind with Vulpes. That was Totnal Bridge on the Dudley No 2 as you might have surmised. I am guessing you encountered them a little later on when they weren't perhaps quite so badly stuck.

It is indeed a lovely boat and one with a courteous crew. I am a bit in awe of the folk who take on things like a big wooden boat with a hot bulb engine. I don't think I could manage it even with 45 years of practice.

JP

I am certainly prone to call it "the dance" because to my mind it conveys what happens.

The two boats approach each other apparently destined to collide, and execute identical movements to "dance around each other", and when executed well it looks like a dance.

Spot on, and it's really nice when the boat coming the other way knows what to do!

I guess some people dont understand draught, i am still learning and if anything i am generaĺly too generous in giving other boaters space to pass.

On the other hand ive seen some folks passing far to fast and not even giving me a cat in hells chance on a bend of which i cant cut.

Pint on roof... (not myn)

Anyway it is what it is.

Edited by Greylady2

Actually Rob-M helped them through the bridge hole heaving on a line while I gave a helping shove from behind with Vulpes. That was Totnal Bridge on the Dudley No 2 as you might have surmised. I am guessing you encountered them a little later on when they weren't perhaps quite so badly stuck.

It is indeed a lovely boat and one with a courteous crew. I am a bit in awe of the folk who take on things like a big wooden boat with a hot bulb engine. I don't think I could manage it even with 45 years of practice.

JP

I'm on the end of the line taking the photo at the same time

post-14862-0-98722200-1473286157_thumb.jpg

I find people just dont seam to care.

I now seam to find a lot of people have adopted the old bmw merc driver attitude of im on the road so can do what i want and ill have all the space.

The worst i find at the mo is giving way at bridges and if its shallow is was tort the following have priority in order

Loaded pair

Long line pair

Loaded horse boat

Horse boat

X strap pair

Loaded motor

Semi loaded motor

Then longest deapest draft going to shortest shallowest draft.

I dont remember meating as many people on a blind bend who just act as if your not there no slowing down, no ah were actually going to crash ill put it in reverse or at least try, no ill try to push the boats apart nothing not even a that was close coment.

Had a few were i have seen them last min at 70ft if i have seen them i know they have seen my bow. Ive just stopped and they have even floored it and rubbed round the bank so they dont have to slow down.

I just seam to find more people are i pay my licance im on here its all mine no time anymore for politeness or even comon sence. I know its got worse as even my wife has made coments to me about some people after.

I find people just dont seam to care.

I now seam to find a lot of people have adopted the old bmw merc driver attitude of im on the road so can do what i want and ill have all the space.

The worst i find at the mo is giving way at bridges and if its shallow is was tort the following have priority in order

Loaded pair

Long line pair

Loaded horse boat

Horse boat

X strap pair

Loaded motor

Semi loaded motor

Then longest deapest draft going to shortest shallowest draft.

I dont remember meating as many people on a blind bend who just act as if your not there no slowing down, no ah were actually going to crash ill put it in reverse or at least try, no ill try to push the boats apart nothing not even a that was close coment.

Had a few were i have seen them last min at 70ft if i have seen them i know they have seen my bow. Ive just stopped and they have even floored it and rubbed round the bank so they dont have to slow down.

I just seam to find more people are i pay my licance im on here its all mine no time anymore for politeness or even comon sence. I know its got worse as even my wife has made coments to me about some people after.

Yeabut you don't see any of those boats in your list, or if you do they are just playing so why should they get priority over anyone else who is just playing? Well I suppose if you are towing / long lining then it's just common sense as harder to stop but I think it is arrogant to presume that just because you have a historic boat you automatically have priority. We met a couple of guys with a historic boat recently, they were both posh spoken London types and clearly didn't have a clue what they were doing but probably decided to buy a historic boat having chanced upon the Braunston gathering or whatever, to buy into the image. They certainly had zero claim for priority

Yeabut you don't see any of those boats in your list, or if you do they are just playing so why should they get priority over anyone else who is just playing? Well I suppose if you are towing / long lining then it's just common sense as harder to stop but I think it is arrogant to presume that just because you have a historic boat you automatically have priority. We met a couple of guys with a historic boat recently, they were both posh spoken London types and clearly didn't have a clue what they were doing but probably decided to buy a historic boat having chanced upon the Braunston gathering or whatever, to buy into the image. They certainly had zero claim for priority

Having some pretty recent experience of hire boats, of my own moderately deep draughted boat, and of a historic motor both with and without butty I do think it's right to give the clearest passage possible to an historic boat.

I do think though that many folk simply don't understand that they are different. It's not arrogance on the part of the steerer.

Posh spoken London types eh? Shiny boaters? Surprised they didn't have a Hudson. ?

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

Having some pretty recent experience of hire boats, of my own moderately deep draughted boat, and of a historic motor both with and without butty I do think it's right to give the clearest passage possible to an historic boat.

I do think though that many folk simply don't understand that they are different. It's not arrogance on the part of the steerer.

Posh spoken London types eh? Shiny boaters? Surprised they didn't have a Hudson.

JP

Yeabut we were talking about giving way at bridges, not how far to move over. If a historic boat can't slow down or stop to let another boat nearer a bridge, clear that bridge, then they are incompetent and or dangerous. As I said, if towing and especially long lining I'll accept its a bit different but for a single boat there is no excuse. And of course a boat towing another may or may not be a historic boat.

And no, it wasn't a shiny boat.

Edited by nicknorman

So if you meet a historic boat and you do nothing and a bolinder goes out any idea what happens? Ok not every historic boat has a bolinder but most modern boats will go from forward to reverse very quickly as most not all but most are on a single leaver just push forward or pull back most historic boats have at least 2 some 4 some none as it has an engine driver.

I know there rare but still it only has to happen once and you find out.

There are plenty of pairs and even semi or fully loaded boats about.

If i met a modern boat that you could fairly easly tell was bigger or had a steam lump in or even a wide beam ill happly give way.

If its shallow a historic boat dosnt always have much of a choice but to stay close the the middle.

+ where on my list does it say historic? As i cant see it? The bigger and deaper the boat the harder it is to move out the way if i met a 20ft boat on a blind bend yes i would expect them to give way but if i met a 70ft boat even 50ft boats ill happly give way. Or at least react and try to stop.

And how often do you give way to another boat? Just food for thought.

Yeabut we were talking about giving way at bridges, not how far to move over. If a historic boat can't slow down or stop to let another boat nearer a bridge, clear that bridge, then they are incompetent and or dangerous. As I said, if towing and especially long lining I'll accept its a bit different but for a single boat there is no excuse. And of course a boat towing another may or may not be a historic boat.

And no, it wasn't a shiny boat.

Also i was talking about blind bend bridge meating if another boat is going to get to a bridge before me then yes they have prioraty unless the boat your on is towing then you sound the horn!

And yes i do give way a a bridge if there is something close.

There is a valid argument that a hire boat is more of a working boat than most.

image_zps5hox1otx.jpeg

Nah. You have been listening to RLWP!

I spotted this one in the middle of Brum yesterday lunchtime. Not quite sure what John and Jenny made of this bloke (me) in full suit and tie stopping by for a chat about boating.

I'd certainly give Roach priority if I saw it coming the other way (which I have as it happens).

A hire boat is easy to control and if it does get stuck it's easy to get off again. Same can't be said for a deep draughted boat so it's best not to make them have to wait out of the channel.

JP

So if you meet a historic boat and you do nothing and a bolinder goes out any idea what happens? Ok not every historic boat has a bolinder but most modern boats will go from forward to reverse very quickly as most not all but most are on a single leaver just push forward or pull back most historic boats have at least 2 some 4 some none as it has an engine driver.

I know there rare but still it only has to happen once and you find out.

There are plenty of pairs and even semi or fully loaded boats about.

If i met a modern boat that you could fairly easly tell was bigger or had a steam lump in or even a wide beam ill happly give way.

If its shallow a historic boat dosnt always have much of a choice but to stay close the the middle.

+ where on my list does it say historic? As i cant see it? The bigger and deaper the boat the harder it is to move out the way if i met a 20ft boat on a blind bend yes i would expect them to give way but if i met a 70ft boat even 50ft boats ill happly give way. Or at least react and try to stop.

And how often do you give way to another boat? Just food for thought.

If a boat can't stop in the distance it can see, it is being driven recklessly. At some point there will be a blind corner with a novice boater wedged across the cut and if it is T-boned by a boat being driven recklessly fast for its stopping capabilities, it will be culpable.

If a boat has no means of stopping then I suggest a man walking ahead with a red flag would be appropriate (or rather, holding up a sign saying "I can't stop, everyone else must give way to me". Although it does beg the question about what happens when he meets another similar boat going in the opposite direction.

At bridges, I will always give way to a boat that I perceive will reach the hole before me. If I'm not sure who will get there first I'll give way and wave them through. If I will reach the hole significantly before the other boat then I expect them to give way, although this is sometimes modified by obstructions and canalscape (eg narrow canal, moored boats etc). This is how it should be IMO.

I don't mind historic boats chugging around and to some extent (and for a good reason) hogging the channel but those playing with such boats would do well to remember that they are just a relic from the past, times have moved on and the system is now used, maintained and paid for almost exclusively for leisure, by people in leisure boats. And of course that category includes historic boats!

• Greenie 2

If a boat can't stop in the distance it can see, it is being driven recklessly. At some point there will be a blind corner with a novice boater wedged across the cut and if it is T-boned by a boat being driven recklessly fast for its stopping capabilities, it will be culpable.

If a boat has no means of stopping then I suggest a man walking ahead with a red flag would be appropriate (or rather, holding up a sign saying "I can't stop, everyone else must give way to me". Although it does beg the question about what happens when he meets another similar boat going in the opposite direction.

At bridges, I will always give way to a boat that I perceive will reach the hole before me. If I'm not sure who will get there first I'll give way and wave them through. If I will reach the hole significantly before the other boat then I expect them to give way, although this is sometimes modified by obstructions and canalscape (eg narrow canal, moored boats etc). This is how it should be IMO.

I don't mind historic boats chugging around and to some extent (and for a good reason) hogging the channel but those playing with such boats would do well to remember that they are just a relic from the past, times have moved on and the system is now used, maintained and paid for almost exclusively for leisure, by people in leisure boats. And of course that category includes historic boats!

Love the melodrama Nick. Ever thought of a career scripting soap operas?

Next time I am on an historic boat I will be comforted by the fact that you don't mind.

JP

image_zps5hox1otx.jpeg

Nah. You have been listening to RLWP!

I spotted this one in the middle of Brum yesterday lunchtime. Not quite sure what John and Jenny made of this bloke (me) in full suit and tie stopping by for a chat about boating.

I'd certainly give Roach priority if I saw it coming the other way (which I have as it happens).

A hire boat is easy to control and if it does get stuck it's easy to get off again. Same can't be said for a deep draughted boat so it's best not to make them have to wait out of the channel.

JP

We're talking about priorities, all else being equal. A hire boat is working, earning a profit for its owner.

In fact, I think almost all fuel boats could have a tough time proving they're working boats. If we include the capital cost of the boat in the financial calculations, they veer somewhat perilously towards "hobbyist" or "lifestyle choice" rather than being truly commercial and able to stand on their own two feet as viable businesses.

I do totaly agree. With you if you cant control it dont drive it. My original point was people who in situations a blind bend at a bridge who dont even try that just ignore the other boat be it historic or not.

My point was in situations like this i would give way or expect to be given way as per my list this is how i was tort. I would still react even if i was expecting the others to give way but i was brought up with a boat that you couldnt garentee would do what was expected of it.

Im asuming youve never met a single handed pair with a bolinder? Its not a case of its dangerous its just not as manovable or predictable same for something like president for instance the stopping time on that is far slower than other boats but i bet there are still people on a blind bend that wouldnt react to seeing it and try and force them to stop?

Im not talking about flying round the cut at full chat expecting the world to move out the way coz a historic boat is coming.

Are you telling me if you saw a bow round a bend at a bridge you would do nothing? No of corse not but my point is there are those that do just that nothing and do nothing to avoid you and ive noticed it more reasontly even on dads boat than i use to.

Nick i expect to see you with flairs out a man in front with a red flag waving like mad if i see you so i know you might be there at some point. You never know having a historic boat im might just decide the hole canal is mine then stop just as you get to me and block the cut and claim you were out of contol and incapable of steering you boat as you t bone me at which time ill claim whip lash

Edited by billybobbooth

We're talking about priorities, all else being equal. A hire boat is working, earning a profit for its owner.

In fact, I think almost all fuel boats could have a tough time proving they're working boats. If we include the capital cost of the boat in the financial calculations, they veer somewhat perilously towards "hobbyist" or "lifestyle choice" rather than being truly commercial and able to stand on their own two feet as viable businesses.

You really don't want to get too high on that horse when there's 40 tonnes of loaded boat coming at you in the opposite direction.