First experience of canal rage.

Ian Mac

Featured Posts

I dont mind tunnels in fact love them towing a butty is fine when meeting something but if you both have loud exhaust it can be hard to tell the other person there is a butty behind.

The worst i have had was 3 boats behind me all of us going threw at a good pace we slowed for on coming boats but worst was when we cought up with a hire boat with hardly any lights on as we found out later they didnt know how the head light worked anyways they were going so slow 3/4 way threw all 3 of us were behind it out of gear or atleast i was.

Ill say now the 3 of us my boat and 2 modern boats all with experience.

When they got out just stopped as could see a boat coming at them and didnt go anywhere then started messing about trying to let me past when i was with the boat behind as we came down long buckby locks together we both went down braunstone together.

I couldnt work out what was going on and after talking to nick wolfe i dont think he could work it out either.

My point is knolage is also essential sometimes.

You should have jumped aboard and turned their tunnel light on for them!

For me the scary bit is that on the road we all assume people have the same skills, intelligence and understanding as ourselves but from experience on the water that isn't the case.

At least on the water its not usually fatal.

You should have jumped aboard and turned their tunnel light on for them!

For me the scary bit is that on the road we all assume people have the same skills, intelligence and understanding as ourselves but from experience on the water that isn't the case.

At least on the water its not usually fatal.

I'd rethink your second paragraph, something along the lines of:-

treat every other road user as an idiot that's out to kill you.

Most people's driving skills fall way short of an acceptable standard - and that's with a compulsory standardised test!

no wonder their boating skills are crap as well :)

I'd rethink your second paragraph, something along the lines of:-

treat every other road user as an idiot that's out to kill you.

Most people's driving skills fall way short of an acceptable standard - and that's with a compulsory standardised test!

no wonder their boating skills are crap as well smile.png

Spot the motorcyclist!

Meanwhile, back on planet earth......

I once came through Braunston tunnel passing five opposing boats on the way, two of which were a working motor and butty. They caused no problem whatsoever, and we passed each other without making contact. In response to Harnser's query, regarding the possibility of being drawn by the motor into the butty, I experienced no such problem. Mind you I was grateful I met them on a straight section, or that could have been a lot more fun :)

Rog

If you google a definition it gives its origin as america at least the site I looked at did.

We're now researching things to be offended by!

Rog

As a fair minded Lancastrian can I request we leave Yorkshiremen out of the argument.

Oi, I resemble that remark

Rog :)

• Greenie 1