Boiling tar - Best place to buy?

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Where is the best place for tar for boiling and putting on the side of wooden boat? I have a very small bucket of some but im going to need alot more.

Please no replys to use bitumen.

I dont know if road tar, roof tar or coal tar are the same?

Im asuming its wood tar pitch i need but not 100% ive only ever boiled and painted it never had to buy it

Edited by billybobbooth

Where is the best place for tar for boiling and putting on the side of wooden boat? I have a very small bucket of some but im going to need alot more.

Im asuming its wood tar pitch i need but not 100% ive only ever boiled and painted it never had to buy it

Yacht's with laid decks have the joints caulked with pitch, an inquiry to a builder/repairer of wooden lumpy water boats may come up with a supply

If you want to stay 'original' and avoid 'oil' based coatings what you want is "Stockholm Tar" used for centuries for waterproofing wooden boats.

It is manufactured by boiling bits of pine trees until the resin comes out - it comes out black and solidifies into 'tar'.

Do a Wikipedia search and /or contact a manufacturer of wooded sailing boats.

"Pine tar can be used for preserving wooden boats (and other wood which will be exposed to the elements) by using a mixture of pine tar, gum turpentine and boiled linseed oil. First, a thin coat is applied using a mixture with greater turpentine. This allows it to permeate deeper into the oakum and fibre of the wood and lets the tar seep into any pinholes and larger gaps that might be in the planks. The tar weeps out to the exterior and indicates where the boat needs the most attention. Having the solution in place and the repairs complete, the vessel is ready for the thicker standard mix. Pine tar is also efficacious for properly saturating lead or standard oakum so that the endurance of the sealing capacity is optimal"

It is also used in 'agriculture' as a 'medical device'. If an animal has a cut then Stockholm Tar is applied as a 'plaster' and the old farmers saying

"Don't spoil the sheep for a ha-puth of tar" has its origins from Stockholm tar.

(Ha-Puth = Half-penny)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

It is also used in 'agriculture' as a 'medical device'. If an animal has a cut then Stockholm Tar is applied as a 'plaster' and the old farmers saying

"Don't spoil the sheep for a ha-puth of tar" has its origins from Stockholm tar.

(Ha-Puth = Half-penny)

Interesting, up here in sheep rearing country the saying is ship for a Ha-puth of tar. It was (don't know about now as I have nothing to do with livestock) commonly as you say.

Interesting, up here in sheep rearing country the saying is ship for a Ha-puth of tar. It was (don't know about now as I have nothing to do with livestock) commonly as you say.

It is 'ship' (I think everywhere) but I took a bit of poetic licence to avoid confusion about 'ships' (sheep) and 'ships' (boats) on a boat forum.

If you want to stay 'original' and avoid 'oil' based coatings what you want is "Stockholm Tar" used for centuries for waterproofing wooden boats.

It is manufactured by boiling bits of pine trees until the resin comes out - it comes out black and solidifies into 'tar'.

Do a Wikipedia search and /or contact a manufacturer of wooded sailing boats.

"Pine tar can be used for preserving wooden boats (and other wood which will be exposed to the elements) by using a mixture of pine tar, gum turpentine and boiled linseed oil. First, a thin coat is applied using a mixture with greater turpentine. This allows it to permeate deeper into the oakum and fibre of the wood and lets the tar seep into any pinholes and larger gaps that might be in the planks. The tar weeps out to the exterior and indicates where the boat needs the most attention. Having the solution in place and the repairs complete, the vessel is ready for the thicker standard mix. Pine tar is also efficacious for properly saturating lead or standard oakum so that the endurance of the sealing capacity is optimal"

(Ha-Puth = Half-penny)

Yes this is wood tar.

Oil dont bother me my hold was full of the stuff

Edited by billybobbooth

The TFM superstore has what you want. That is Telford Farm Machinery, they stock various old types of tar including Stockholm, The tar used for wooden boats is flexible when dry not the hard stuff used on roads, roofing tar would be near but probably difficult to obtain.

Do not use Bitumastic or these modern "twin packs" as in my opinion they are not suited for the purpose of use on canal boats being primarily designed for non contact static structures like piers, oil rigs etc.

Ibcan get hold of both roof tar and Stockholm tar can get them borh for around £100 for 10L but ill keep surching now i know its def Stockholm tar i need. I have a L of roof tar around in the boat i think as its too solid to be Stockholm think it was used to patch the bottom.

The TFM superstore has what you want. That is Telford Farm Machinery, they stock various old types of tar including Stockholm, The tar used for wooden boats is flexible when dry not the hard stuff used on roads, roofing tar would be near but probably difficult to obtain.

Do not use Bitumastic or these modern "twin packs" as in my opinion they are not suited for the purpose of use on canal boats being primarily designed for non contact static structures like piers, oil rigs etc.

They also have a branch in Newport. wink.png

I worked for TFM for a very short period. I didn't last long being a townie.ohmy.png

Good range of hardware though.

Edited by bag 'o' bones

Just been told by dad its not Stockholm tar i need he said something about thin tar apparently you cant get it from the sellers he use to use but apparently jem had some analised and managed to get it from a diffrent supplyer. So still not sure on the right stuff.

Dads not about when im free at the mo so cant go and see him i hopfully should be seeing jem soon though

Yer my spelling is crap i could only get to crummy public schools.

I suffer with letting my phone do most of the work which sometimes throws up some humerus cook ups :)

Language is great though, it should be fluid and ever changing, so long as the point gets made that's the most important thing :)

Good luck in your search for some suitable sticky sticky.

I was under the impression coal tar byproducts from town gas was what was used on canal carrying boats, is this not the case?

I was under the impression coal tar byproducts from town gas was what was used on canal carrying boats, is this not the case?

Hey Gazza, so who part of

...So still not sure on the right stuff.

didn't you understand?

:lol: