Getting a quart into a 'pint pot' meltdown!

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

Well, it's easy if you happen only to need/use things that don't take up much space. It's not so easy if you're a couple where partner one plays the piano and one plays the cello, or one enjoys sewing and the other fishing, or both are keen cyclists, or whatever.

Give up the piano and cello (although I do like the cello) take up harmonica and lay down a little blues.

Sowing: how much space does one need for a packet of needles and a reel of cotton?

Fishing: 6ft fly rod and a reel. Again, not too big.

Cyclists: I'll get my gun! ninja.gif

All great ideas and of course I feel your commiserations....

Everyday I'm finding things that are now no longer needed, such as a spirit level, found this out when putting up a double and a single wall cabinet in the bathroom - what a useless piece of equipment that is now!

Can really identify the comment made about how a legacy can be a millstone for generations, my husband (and HE'S blaming me for hoarding) has brought on board a heirloom of a full Royal Doulton tea set left to him by an old aunt. I'm scared of using it, so it's packed away, taking up quality and precious space under the dining seat. This this will get packed off soon to his sisters, and I can't wait.

I've been ridiculed for bringing my mother's industrial sewing machine on board, complete with it's own walnut cabinet. This baby will sew through anything, so at least there's scope for that earning its place onboard.

You could lay it out all dainty like on a shelf and then when some drunken eejit smashes in to you or you whack off something it all goes kersmash and your problem is solved.................... shouldnt take to long ,either.judge.gif

All great ideas and of course I feel your commiserations....

Everyday I'm finding things that are now no longer needed, such as a spirit level, found this out when putting up a double and a single wall cabinet in the bathroom - what a useless piece of equipment that is now!

Can really identify the comment made about how a legacy can be a millstone for generations, my husband (and HE'S blaming me for hoarding) has brought on board a heirloom of a full Royal Doulton tea set left to him by an old aunt. I'm scared of using it, so it's packed away, taking up quality and precious space under the dining seat. This this will get packed off soon to his sisters, and I can't wait.

I've been ridiculed for bringing my mother's industrial sewing machine on board, complete with it's own walnut cabinet. This baby will sew through anything, so at least there's scope for that earning its place onboard.

Get rid of the tea set. It will take him years to even notice.

Edited by Dave_P

Yeah, but he's planning to convert the roof into a lane for ten-pin-bowling.

brilliant idea .. ready made gutters and a curved surface ... pity about the mushroom vents though - local hazards I guess

Do the guitar necks suffer with the humidity etc on the boat, need plenty of truss rod tweaks and go out of tune at all? What about amplifiers, how do they run ok on the boat?

I have an acoustic and electric and they live in the wardrobe in the bedroom, when taken out they are usually perfectly in tune. I think it all depends on your boat, i don't have any damp issues on mine.

If you really want a certain item onboard then you will make room for it, so your sewing machine isn't unusual.

I'm still downsizing ten years on (!) when we moved onboard we had two sheds and a campervan stuffed full of stuff and the bath on our boat had a tv and playstation and other things stacked up in it , we'd moved out of a big house and we just hadn't had time to clear things out. This summer I emptied one shed and it's now used to store wood. The campervan full of junk is long gone.

I further reduced 'stuff' by doing the following.

Paperwork books and music.

Got a Dropbox acccount, I've a large one as I store my work on there too.

Look up your books and instruction books for your tools etc on the internet and download the digital copies and file them in Dropbox.

We use boatmail for our post but we've gone for the scan and destroy option for our post. I no longer have a pile of letters, they are pdfs in a dropbox folder.

I'm almost totally paper free, I'm forever photographing things on the ipad and uploading them.

I don't buy magazines, I get the digital versions.

My music is all on an sd card and then backed up, you can get the tiny ones in enormous capacity now I've an 128gb one in my phone. I have a bluetooth speaker.

Bedlinen blankets etc

you don't need more than one set of spare bedding, get rid of the rest. get rid of some of your cushion pads and store spare blankets and towels in the cases. Be wary of storing fabric and leather shoes in cupboards or places with no ventilation (down low at the back of cupboards is a no no), they will be claimed by boat mould. You need to store them in vaccuum pack bags (Lakeland sells them).

Clothes

Try this challenge: http://bemorewithless.com/project-333/ I've got far less than I had. Things I avoid buying as a boater: bulky coats and sweaters, they take up too much room, they are a pain to dry, I go for packable down, thin layers. Anything long or flappy, wide trousers or long skirts, they just get ripped or muddy. Anything that needs ironing. When you're not on shore power all the time it's pointless.

Galley and household

Muji, lakeland and camping shops are useful places, lets see....my mixing bowls are all collapsible silicone as is some of my tupperware. I've a tiny metal colander from muji (they design things for miniscule japanese flat) . I tend to buy pans when I go to Italy as they don't like long sticky out handles out there, but Lakeland does a set of cooking pans where they stack and the handle comes off. I have buckets that squash flat and a really narrow clothes airer. I got rid of the food processor and I have a stick blender and a friction food chopper instead. Look for smaller versions of the things you have already. If you need to find room for something, you will, I ebayed several pairs of shoes in the spring to make room for more power tools (I'm changing lol). Maybe get some storage for the things you're not sure about for now, don't panic about reducing everything all at once, relax, it will sort itself over time. There is nothing like living in a small cluttered space to make you take action to get rid of things. You can do it.

Edited by Lady Muck

If you really want a certain item onboard then you will make room for it, so your sewing machine isn't unusual.

I'm still downsizing ten years on (!) when we moved onboard we had two sheds and a campervan stuffed full of stuff and the bath on our boat had a tv and playstation and other things stacked up in it , we'd moved out of a big house and we just hadn't had time to clear things out. This summer I emptied one shed and it's now used to store wood. The campervan full of junk is long gone.

Look up your books and instruction books for your tools etc on the internet and download the digital copies and file them in Dropbox.

We use boatmail for our post but we've gone for the scan and destroy option for our post. I no longer have a pile of letters, they are pdfs in a dropbox folder.

I'm almost totally paper free, I'm forever photographing things on the ipad and uploading them.

My music is all on an sd card and then backed up, you can get the tiny ones in enormous capacity now I've an 128gb one in my phone. I have a bluetooth speaker.

Bedlinen blankets etc

you don't need more than one set of spare bedding, get rid of the rest. get rid of some of your cushion pads and store spare blankets and towels in the cushion pads. Be wary of storing fabric and leather shoes in cupboards or places with no ventilation (down low at the back of cupboards is a no no), they will be claimed by boat mould. You need to store them in vaccuum pack bags (Lakeland sells them).

Clothes

Try this challenge: http://bemorewithless.com/project-333/ I've got far less than I had. Things I avoid buying as a boater: bulky coats and sweaters, they take up too much room, they are a pain to dry, I go for packable down, thin layers. Anything long or flappy, wide trousers or long skirts, they just get ripped or muddy. Anything that needs ironing. When you're not on shore power all the time it's pointless.

Galley and household

Muji, lakeland and camping shops are useful places, lets see....my mixing bowls are all collapsible silicone as is some of my tupperware. I've a tiny metal colander from muji (they design things for miniscule japanese flat) . I tend to buy pans when I go to Italy as they don't like long sticky out handles out there, but Lakeland does a set of cooking pans where they stack and the handle comes off. I have buckets that squash flat and a really narrow clothes airer. I got rid of the food processor and I have a stick blender and a friction food chopper instead. Look for smaller versions of the things you have already. If you need to find room for something, you will, I ebayed several pairs of shoes in the spring to make room for more power tools (I'm changing lol). Maybe get some storage for the things you're not sure about for now, don't panic about reducing everything all at once, relax, it will sort itself over time. There is nothing like living in a small cluttered space to make you take action to get rid of things. You can do it.

Very good posting LM, I wish I could follow up on everything you've managed to do myself, but for a non-existing real reason, I have enormous difficulty to seperate myself from the stuff I know I don't need, and I'm renting 2 lock ups to store this stuff, one already for more than 25 years, have paid several times the value of the stored items.

I'm pretty sure that I'm mad, but without danger for anyone else.

Peter

Yeah, persuading my partner to let go is harder, there is way more I'd chuck out if he'd let me. But after ten years onboard, I think hes coming round to the idea of ditching his cds.

Our best mates work abroad and come back to the UK for the summer. They have downshifted a lot more than we did - their posessions need to fit into suitcases.

All I can say is that having less stuff is easier - digital stuff is easier to look for, if you have less stuff you waste less time cleaning, looking for things, maintaining things, shopping, worrying about your things, even packing is quicker.

If you want to let go but find it hard, there are professional declutterers (our aunt paid for one), plus plenty of books out there - look for books on minimalism online. I knew I had too many clothes and shoes but couldn't let go, reading these books, it's changed my mindset. I now have far less, but what I own is much better quality. Plus ebaying a load of things and then buying one nice thing with your profits is rewarding.

Yeah, persuading my partner to let go is harder, there is way more I'd chuck out if he'd let me. But after ten years onboard, I think hes coming round to the idea of ditching his cds.

Our best mates work abroad and come back to the UK for the summer. They have downshifted a lot more than we did - their posessions need to fit into suitcases.

All I can say is that having less stuff is easier - digital stuff is easier to look for, if you have less stuff you waste less time cleaning, looking for things, maintaining things, shopping, worrying about your things, even packing is quicker.

If you want to let go but find it hard, there are professional declutterers (our aunt paid for one), plus plenty of books out there - look for books on minimalism online. I knew I had too many clothes and shoes but couldn't let go, reading these books, it's changed my mindset. I now have far less, but what I own is much better quality. Plus ebaying a load of things and then buying one nice thing with your profits is rewarding.

It looked like you had too many clothes a couple of weeks ago LM, when I passed your boat at B.Stortford, they were hanging out to dry all over the place, on racks and on booms hanging over the water, everywhere. It looked like the Cutty Sark under full sail. smile.png

I guess you just need to be ruthless. Some friends of ours spent six years travelling around on their boat and they were spending over £1,000 a year for storage of stuff ( a large part of which was for several thousand vinyl LPs!).

Nice to know that their money wasn't wasted.

What about the singles?

Bedlinen blankets etc

you don't need more than one set of spare bedding, get rid of the rest. get rid of some of your cushion pads and store spare blankets and towels in the cases. Be wary of storing fabric and leather shoes in cupboards or places with no ventilation (down low at the back of cupboards is a no no), they will be claimed by boat mould. You need to store them in vaccuum pack bags (Lakeland sells them).

Clothes

Galley and household

What a great post, thank you LM :) Many fantastic ideas! The link to bemorewithless.com is a find! Thanks very much for the link.

We're still struggling, but I think we're getting there... wherever 'there' is (in this CC life we've chosen).

Shedding off materialism does twinge a bit, but this is something we've got to do, as possessions are now definitely making us unhappy. Last night husband had moan, he's realised that he doesn't need the various boxes and bags of wiring for so called 'systems' he's been collecting, such as chargers for long-gone tecky things. The Wii exercise board will have to go, it's not been used for a several years, and I've got to face the fact that it probably won't be used again. Technics music system will have to go the same way!

I'm going to start on the dog soon, he's got a bag of toys that he ignores, he only wants to play with tennis balls - so he's not going to be immune to being down-sized!

it's great to hear other's experiences. I'm constantly learning.

What a great post, thank you LM smile.png Many fantastic ideas! The link to bemorewithless.com is a find! Thanks very much for the link.

I'm going to start on the dog soon - he's not going to be immune to being down-sized!

We'll recognise you easily on the cut: you'll be the ones with the Chihuahua.

I made a (good) start, there's a sticker on my door that I have to look at when I'm leaving my boat, on which it says : "Less Stuff MORE FREEDOM", and I've bought a couple of boxes today to put stuff in that's piled up on the bench seats now, almost touching the ceiling.

Peter.

It looked like you had too many clothes a couple of weeks ago LM, when I passed your boat at B.Stortford, they were hanging out to dry all over the place, on racks and on booms hanging over the water, everywhere. It looked like the Cutty Sark under full sail. :)

yeah I know, had no water or time to do the washing for three weeks!