Stainless chimney liner

frangar

Featured Posts

I'm trying to find a stainless chimney liner...the type which is separate and fits inside the flue. I can only find galvanised ones which last no time at all.

I have thought of getting some sheet & making one but a ready made one for a 6" flue would be great. Any pointers welcome.

Cheers

Gareth

Very interesting to read, thanks for the link.

I only burn coal (Excel) is this something I need to worry about? I've just replaced my outside chimney as had to remove it for a low bridge and it was knackered and fused on, cleaned up everything and resealed where the flue pops up into the collar on the roof. It was somewhat messy so suspect the previous owners burnt whatever they could lay there hands on.

Very interesting to read, thanks for the link.

I only burn coal (Excel) is this something I need to worry about? I've just replaced my outside chimney as had to remove it for a low bridge and it was knackered and fused on, cleaned up everything and resealed where the flue pops up into the collar on the roof. It was somewhat messy so suspect the previous owners burnt whatever they could lay there hands on.

Burning coal is usually OK, it's the Un seasoned wood (damp) that causes problems.
  • Greenie 1

I bought a nice stainless flue liner from uxbridge boat centre about 10 years ago. It a piece of thin stainless steel plate formed into a cone shape which can be wrapped around itself to expand and grip into the inside of the collar. Its quite a decent item really.

Not rocket science to do a diy version.

I think a similar thing could be made by using a slitting disc on an angle grinder to vertically cut a stainless steel flue pipe then wearing gloves force it down to the right diameter to fit inside the collar/flue.

I bought a nice stainless flue liner from uxbridge boat centre about 10 years ago. It a piece of thin stainless steel plate formed into a cone shape which can be wrapped around itself to expand and grip into the inside of the collar. Its quite a decent item really.

Not rocket science to do a diy version.

That's what I'm after. Sadly now they are all galvanised. The one I have at present was from UBC and has lasted a couple of years....the one from MC barely made a winter.

Thanks for everyone's input. It looks like I will be making one...as has been said its not the hardest thing to make...just need to get some sheet. I will maybe get the engineering place where my unit is to run it through their rollers.

Cheers

Gareth

Look at the Metal4U web site, in the stainlees steel grade 316 section, they do 6" nominal bore schedule 10 tube - this is fairly thin wall.

Or look for stainless steel extraction ducting - usually 0.8 or 1mm wall rolled and welded tube - as used for fume extraction or generator exhausts, this comes in sections with clips which give you easy dismantling.

a normal heating merchants that sells boilers and/or solid fuel stoves would carry metre lengths of stainless steel flue pipe. Your collar will be 5" or 6", and with the use of a connector which fits inside the collar, or even the stove pipe, the stainless pipe will sit on the adaptor and inside a standard chimney. You just need to cut to length. I use this method with a bubble stove, so that the inner chimney retains the flue draught because the outer chimney, apart from looking 'right', stops the flue temperature from cooling too much.