Crown brand batteries from Bimble

MtB

Featured Posts

Both Bimble and Crown themselves are making some pretty bold but very generalised claims about the quality of Crown batteries.

What does the team think of them? In particular as an alternative to a set of Trojans. I'm considering them as I'd prefer 4 x 12v Crown batteries to 4 x 6v Trojans, as with 12v batteries I can configure them into two separate 24v domestic banks.

http://www.bimblesolar.com/batteries/27DC115-115AH-12V

Both Bimble and Crown themselves are making some pretty bold but very generalised claims about the quality of Crown batteries.

What does the team think of them? In particular as an alternative to a set of Trojans. I'm considering them as I'd prefer 4 x 12v Crown batteries to 4 x 6v Trojans, as with 12v batteries I can configure them into two separate 24v domestic banks.

Currently using 6 12 volt batteries in parallel

3 trojan 105 A.H.

3 Crown 105 A.H.

The Crowns perform well and are now 1 Year old

The bank of 6 can be split with a rotary Master Switch i.e use 3 Crowns or 3 Trojans or all together

Both brands are good but will likely Use 6 Crowns when it is time to replace the whole set

CT

Currently using 6 12 volt batteries in parallel

3 trojan 105 A.H.

3 Crown 105 A.H.

The Crowns perform well and are now 1 Year old

The bank of 6 can be split with a rotary Master Switch i.e use 3 Crowns or 3 Trojans or all together

Both brands are good but will likely Use 6 Crowns when it is time to replace the whole set

CT

Ok thanks for that. I was thinking of a similar system similar to yours with a rotary master switch too.Where did you get the Crowns? Is there a stockist around here I can collect from?And you must have 12v Trojans then too...

This also touches on the subject of the next thread I was planning to start so perhaps here might be a good place to discuss it anyway. What is it about the Crowns that makes you say they "perform better" than the Trojans? In fact in what way exactly are Crowns and Trojans "better" than el cheapo leisures?

Many thanks. Must come and buy you a pint if/when your local pub opens again!

Ok thanks for that. I was thinking of a similar system similar to yours with a rotary master switch too.Where did you get the Crowns? Is there a stockist around here I can collect from?And you must have 12v Trojans then too...

This also touches on the subject of the next thread I was planning to start so perhaps here might be a good place to discuss it anyway. What is it about the Crowns that makes you say they "perform better" than the Trojans? In fact in what way exactly are Crowns and Trojans "better" than el cheapo leisures?

Many thanks. Must come and buy you a pint if/when your local pub opens again!

The 3 Trojans came from a well known supplier in the midlands when ordering a further 3 a few months later I was informed that there had been a bad batch of Trojans so none were in stock.

Having bought many items from Bimble I decided to try the Crowns which perform as well as the Trojans

As Bimble is now near Brighton it is now practical for me to go and collect them thereby saving delivery charges.

E.T.A. I did state that the Crowns performed well,similar characteristics upon charge/discharge to the Trojans

CT

Always best to deal with a supplier that one is familiar with and will give a prompt response when queries/problems arise

CT

Edited by cereal tiller

In fact in what way exactly are Crowns and Trojans "better" than el cheapo leisures?

They hold their capacity when cycled, as opposed to cheapo leisure batteries that don't.

eg same usage pattern:

Cheapo leisures, down to 1/2 capacity after 6 months leisure use despite plenty of charging (8 hr cruising days and on shore power when boat parked). Managed to recover most of the capacity by repeated vigorous equalising but that causes plate shedding and so by 2 years they were goosed.

Trojans: Smartgauge generally showing higher SoC on discharge than AH counter set to nominal capacity after nearly 3 years leisure use. In other words, capacity remains at nominal if not slightly above. Disadvantages are that they do use water, and need "running in" for quite a few cycles to reach full capacity. I'd say our's reached peak capacity after about a year, whereas the cheapos were rapidly dying by then.

Chalk and cheese.

Does anyone have experience with Rolls AGM batteries. They've introduced a new monoblock form-factor model that will fit our battery-ole and I'm considering giving it a go. Living aboard, we kill a £400 set of leisures in 1-2 years. These are three times the price, so would need to last five years minimum to make economic sense.

http://www.rolls-battery.com/pdf/S12-230AGM.pdf

MP.

The Trojans are heavier so will have thicker plates and also cheaper.

But Trojans are 6v and I need two banks of 24v, so I'd have to buy twice as many. As explained earlier.

Hence my interest in the Crowns.

As I said three of my batteries are Trojan 12 volt 27 TMX (I think) is the model number

CT

E.T.A. They closed the local pub down shortly after your last visit!,just saying,like

Edited by cereal tiller

The Trojans are heavier so will have thicker plates and also cheaper.

The Crowns being discussed are 26.3kg, Trojan T105s are 26kg, Varta Hobby Leisure 110Ah are 26kg.

115Ah @ 12V, 225Ah @ 6V, and 110Ah @ 12V, respectively, so no discernible differences in capacity, and all the same weight??

Perhaps the Trojans and Crowns have thicker plates, but there are fewer of them? Does that make them better at Deep Cycling?

Edited by Richard10002

As I said three of my batteries are Trojan 12 volt 27 TMX (I think) is the model number

CT

E.T.A. They closed the local pub down shortly after your last visit!,just saying,like

How very odd. My reply was to a post that suggested I buy 4 x 6v Trojans. Now I can't see it. Maybe my fone is playing trix, or perhaps its my mind...

Shield Batteries factory and shop is just down the road from me. Their prices are normal retail though as they won't-can't under-cut their agents.

They do if you buy enough ;)

I would have gone for crown this time but was not in a position to collect so ended up with a similar battery but much lower price from Battery Service Hub in Market Harborough cos that's where I was.

Edited by Loddon

The Crowns being discussed are 26.3kg, Trojan T105s are 26kg, Varta Hobby Leisure 110Ah are 26kg.

115Ah @ 12V, 225Ah @ 6V, and 110Ah @ 12V, respectively, so no discernible differences in capacity, and all the same weight??

Perhaps the Trojans and Crowns have thicker plates, but there are fewer of them? Does that make them better at Deep Cycling?

If I remember Gibbo's arguments correctly that most cheapo leisure batteries were merely restickered starter batteries, there'd be more, thinner plates in the Varta design to give good CCA, but leaving the plates open to warping and failing when discharged deeply.

May have misremembered, sure someone will correct me if I have.

I have the weight as down as 28Kg for the Trojans.

But Trojans are 6v and I need two banks of 24v, so I'd have to buy twice as many. As explained earlier.

Hence my interest in the Crowns.

I didn't see the 2 banks. I would question why you would want this.

I didn't see the 2 banks. I would question why you would want this.

I'm not sure either. It is discussed in my thread here:

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=81870&hl=

In summary, I'm attempting to solve the problem of not enough generator time available whilst living aboard in winter.

I'm hoping to use one of the two banks for domestic whilst re-charging the other with the hour or two of genny time I get each day, and relying on solar to top up the bank being charged to 100%, which might hopefully be possible as the bank is at rest.

Then I'll swap banks and use the 100% charged bank while the genny and solar re-charges the first bank.

As I have a 24v starter and alternator I need to have 24v domestic battery banks.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

In summary, I'm attempting to solve the problem of not enough generator time available whilst living aboard in winter.

I'm hoping to use one of the two banks for domestic whilst re-charging the other with the hour or two of genny time I get each day, and relying on solar to top up the bank being charged to 100%, which might hopefully be possible as the bank is at rest.

Then I'll swap banks and use the 100% charged bank while the genny and solar re-charges the first bank.

As I have a 24v starter and alternator I need to have 24v domestic battery banks.

I would combine all the leisure's to be one big bank to be honest. You are still using the same amount of power and still have to put the same amount of power in, with splitting the bank your not gaining anything and may actually be increasing the charge time you use on the genny.

I would combine all the leisure's to be one big bank to be honest. You are still using the same amount of power and still have to put the same amount of power in, with splitting the bank your not gaining anything and may actually be increasing the charge time you use on the genny.

How so?

It takes 50% of genny time to put the final 25% of charge in, so that just isn't going to happen on the weekly basis received wisdom recommends. I just don't spend enough time on the boat between the hours of 8am and 8pm in winter. With my plan there is a better chance of fully charging each half the bank, alternately.

But, surely, you can sill use the batteries whilst they are being charged by the Jennifer and the Solar ?

I am not understanding what you would gain by 'switching' over to a charged bank, whilst the other bank is being charged.

At the end of the day output & input will be the same.

Instead of taking the SoC of a 'small' bank to (say 60%), you will only be taking the SoC of the 'big bank' to (say) 80%

But, surely, you can sill use the batteries whilst they are being charged by the Jennifer and the Solar ?

I am not understanding what you would gain by 'switching' over to a charged bank, whilst the other bank is being charged.

Instead of taking the SoC of a 'small' bank to (say 60%), you will only be taking the SoC of the 'big bank' to (say) 80%

Are you suggesting keeping the whole bank at no more than 80% for three months is better than taking half the bank to 100% alternately?

You are overlooking the time factor which it so critical to me.

The Jennifer is in Richard's workshop being re-built!

And the point is that if I use them, how will they get to 100% SoC? If I stop using half the bank, I can get that half up to the 100% we are constantly told is so important.

How so?

It takes 50% of genny time to put the final 25% of charge in, so that just isn't going to happen on the weekly basis received wisdom recommends. I just don't spend enough time on the boat between the hours of 8am and 8pm in winter. With my plan there is a better chance of fully charging each half the bank, alternately.

You have a 40amp charger? Two batteries will be around 100-120ah, which is quite a high percentage with that charger so will be hitting the batteries hard and may only get a surface charge. They may not take the full 40amp during the bulk phase, which means a longer charge time. With 200-240ah of batteries a 40amp charger is alot lower percentage so the batteries will be able to take the full amount of amps your charger can provide, it will be kinder to the batteries and you'll get a better charge.

You have a 40amp charger? Two batteries will be around 100-120ah, which is quite a high percentage with that charger so will be hitting the batteries hard and may only get a surface charge. They may not take the full 40amp during the bulk phase, which means a longer charge time. With 200-240ah of batteries a 40amp charger is alot lower percentage so the batteries will be able to take the full amount of amps your charger can provide, it will be kinder to the batteries and you'll get a better charge.

Hmmm yes I see. So maybe parallel them together for bulk charging then separate them for solar to finish off one half to 100% while I use the other half. Or something.

The other idea is to use a current pump to top up one half to 100% using a donkey battery (or the other half of the bank).

Either that or just abandon all attempts to get the bank anywhere close to 100% for the three winter months.

I was looking into this a while ago, in my "crown versus Trojan" post.

Don't think there's much in it.

What used to be shepherd batteries in Manchester, shield batteries now, are the agents for crown batteries,and offered me a good discount on 4 of the big 6v jobs, if I collect. Just bear in mind that if it's an odd size your after, not a fast moving item, it could well have been on the shelf a good time and gone stale. Check on the date of manufacture before you buy.

In my case, I ended up buying a nearly new forklift battery of 2v 500 A/hr cells, with the tank and everything for about half what the Trojans would have cost. They take up less floor space in the engine room,and make a handy seat too. Try pb battery solutions in deepcar nr Sheffield. You can deal with him.

Not had a problem with them yet, the solar panels get them up to float voltage so the tail current must be low. I've only got 2x 68w stick on panels too.