To move or not to move, that is the question.

nicknorman

Featured Posts

I moved a boat last week. It was a GRP cruiser that had been left unattended overnight on the water point at Chaley Beate bridge (bottom of Wilmcote flight). I moved it along by one set of bollards but it would still have been in the way of the water point for a boat in the opposite direction. I noticed it was an Avon Navigation Trust registered boat on a seven day temporary CRT licence so perhaps they didn't realise, although it did seem pretty obvious. Had it have been a steel narrowboat I would have gone alongside and walked across the front of it.

JP

Got to the top of the Wigan flight last week to find a boat moored up on the water point/pump out machine both of which we wanted to use. Nothing behind the boat so moved it down so we could get on. When he arrived back he was apologetic and said he thought no one else would want to use the water point as it was gone 6 pm. To be fair the whole thing was quite good natured and we parted on good terms I think ! I think it's about attitude, in this case we were both quite reasonable and could see the others point...

my view...

move my boat if you need to, as long as you don't move it too far and it's securely moored I won't be annoyed.

you may tie the lines differently to me and I will probably re-tie them but that is my preference not a reflection on your method

I'd definitely agree with this.

If I couldn't get to a water point because of an unattended boat hogging the space I would reckon it was fair to move that one, but treating it as well as possible, nevertheless.

If its blocking the entrance to a marina/turn, or utilities such as water points and pump outs ect. Then its fine to move it as it shouldnt be there unless and you must check first. They havent gone to set a lock the other side of the turn and are pysicly active at the area. Gone in side to get say a barrier or find out where to moor at a marina. Or were using the facilities and are clearing up from putting a hose away or putting the toilet back together be in mind you normally get around 2 hours at a facility site as long as you are using them.

But again as i said before you must make sure its secure as if someone sees you and it goes wrong its your responsibility no matter how stupid or idiotic the owner has been with where they left there boat. Say you move it and it comes adrift and your seen but a local boat or even a warden they can claim all damages againt your insurance. So you must be carefull

But if its locked its pretty ov there prob not around

my view...

move my boat if you need to, as long as you don't move it too far and it's securely moored I won't be annoyed.

you may tie the lines differently to me and I will probably re-tie them but that is my preference not a reflection on your method

I was moored on the 'Navigation' wharf at Shardlow this year when a narrowboat arrived in the evening but could not quite fit in behind me. I saw this from the pub garden and of course moved my boat the 9 feet or so which was all that was possible as the cruiser in front of me had an outboard which I was wary of crowding.

Oddly the arriving crew were surprised (but grateful) that I was willing to move at all. So perhaps a willingness to move is becoming less common.

On a similar topic I find that people on the canals don't like sharing mooring rings. If people moved up a bit then this would often free up one or two mooring spaces at the popular VMs. Having done a lot of my earlier boating coastal sailing I find this strange as there not only is sharing mooring rings / bollards normal so is rafting up, sometimes 2,3 or even 4 or more abreast is quite normal!

Sharing was common years ago, as was breasting up. There seems to be this ridiculous ten feet " rule ", I've no idea where this has come from. A couple of years ago I squeezed Resolute into the last remaining space at Thrupp, only a foot or so away from the boat behind. He promptly closed his front doors, drew the curtains and I never saw him again. Much more pleasant was the obliging fisherman who moved his tackle to let us in, I was happy for him to continue from our tug deck and his small son was thrilled to be on a boat. It takes all sorts!

Dave

Yes i have noticed people dont like sharing rings i just use them.

Although funny i had a guy put a pin in and not use the ring i was late at night (maybe he didnt know the rimg was there?) Next mornimg he came over and was really apologetic (i couldnt work out why as i was still tied up tight)

His words im so sorry ive gone threw your rope.

What he ment was he turned up didnt want to use the ring as i was on it put a pin in and then went from his boat to the pin on the way back to the boat managed to get the rope between my rope going from the bow to ring and back.

I told him to it dosnt matter but you can take the pin out and use the ring aswell.

To which i was told no its ok your on the ring im just sorry about going threw your rope.

I said dont worry but he still ov wasnt happy as later that day he undid it and sorted it.

I found it all odd as i would have just used the ring.

Edited by billybobbooth

I once moved a boat along by about 20 feet to let me get to the water point at the bottom of Foxton - only for the aggrieved person leaving his beer in the pub opposite, to come over to remonstrate with me. Pointing out that he had moored partially blocking the water point made no difference.

You can't win.

Given the amount of water points at Foxton locks I can see why, apparently you wanted that particular water point.

Yes i have noticed people dont like sharing rings i just use them.

Although funny i had a guy put a pin in and not use the ring i was late at night (maybe he didnt know the rimg was there?) Next mornimg he came over and was really apologetic (i couldnt work out why as i was still tied up tight)

His words im so sorry ive gone threw your rope.

What he ment was he turned up didnt want to use the ring as i was on it put a pin in and then went from his boat to the pin on the way back to the boat managed to get the rope between my rope going from the bow to ring and back.

I told him to it dosnt matter but you can take the pin out and use the ring aswell.

To which i was told no its ok your on the ring im just sorry about going threw your rope.

I said dont worry but he still ov wasnt happy as later that day he undid it and sorted it.

I found it all odd as i would have just used the ring.

Strangely enough, I try not to go through or over the other boat's ropes if I have to tie up with my ropes crossing someone else. Also if sharing a bollard I will put my rope below one already there.

If I was in your situation, I would not be annoyed but I would think the other boater a little bad mannered.

That said, I would not hesitate to share rings.

Strangely enough, I try not to go through or over the other boat's ropes if I have to tie up with my ropes crossing someone else. Also if sharing a bollard I will put my rope below one already there.

If I was in your situation, I would not be annoyed but I would think the other boater a little bad mannered.

That said, I would not hesitate to share rings.

... or even in some cases to cross ropes over, ie boat A ties themselves to the ring alongside boat B, and vice versa.

On a similar topic I find that people on the canals don't like sharing mooring rings. If people moved up a bit then this would often free up one or two mooring spaces at the popular VMs. Having done a lot of my earlier boating coastal sailing I find this strange as there not only is sharing mooring rings / bollards normal so is rafting up, sometimes 2,3 or even 4 or more abreast is quite normal!

I think it's because of the amount of engine running that's now done. I try to avoid mooring up to someone's back end as I don't want my boat filled with exhaust fumes, and a considerable number of boats now run their engines once moored up for hours on end. If i can, I leave a gap. If it gets crowded and someone wants to come in, I'll squeeze up.

Don't cross the ropes, it would be bad... Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light if you do so.

I'm struggling to imagine that.

Mind you I moored up like this and nothing very exciting happened (apart from the BBQ spontaneously igniting on the foredeck). It was a rather long walk from the boat to the bow mooring pin..

dscf5381.jpg

If its more secure than a mooring pin ill use it.

Its surprises me the amount of people that use mooring chains but leave them really loose so the boat ends up loose.

I dont mind people using my ring bollard tieing next to me ect as long as it dosnt cause me a prob when i want to move off im happy or if there next to me with engine running for hours ill tell them to move or shut it off.

I never understand why people wait till 7pm to start there engines especially the people that are on there boat during the day surly its got to be better running during the day than at night. I know it gets dark but if you have to run an engine to run a few lights and a tv you need more batteries??

my view...

Completely vagree have a greenie

T C

I will happily share a ring, but do be careful who you share your ring with.

You may get a nasty STI. (Shared Tethering Infection)

Don't even think of sharing Bollards.

I would certainly share a ring or a bollard, if I share a bollard I will always put my rope lower down the bollard so my rope doesn't get it their way when they untie.

• Greenie 1

I'm struggling to imagine that.

Mind you I moored up like this and nothing very exciting happened (apart from the BBQ spontaneously igniting on the foredeck). It was a rather long walk from the boat to the bow mooring pin..

dscf5381.jpg

Lovely picture, looks like a great mooring on a lovely evening. I am encouraged to see the centre line tied to the bow for extra security!!!

and out of curiosity where is the picture taken?

Lovely picture, looks like a great mooring on a lovely evening. I am encouraged to see the centre line tied to the bow for extra security!!!

and out of curiosity where is the picture taken?

Bardney, on the River Witham just south of Lincoln. The rest of the pontoon was full. Six lines in use (three at the stern, centre - tied to a cleat, and two bow lines) which was rather OTT ...

We arrived in Birmingham today at around 14:00. It is chokka with boats, some breasted up, Cambrian wharf full, mainline full, oozels loop full. There was space in Gas St but I don't really like that for a Friday night. I think it is the fallout from the Pelsall rally and there is another event next weekend.

Never done this before but I decided we would move it along so we could get in.

We had someone do this to us the other day on the Thames -- to move us back by about five feet. But instead of just loosening the bow rope by about five feet, they tied the rope backwards to another bollard beside the boat so that it floated loose. Everytime a cruiser went by the whole boat must have wandered about with the bow going five feet into the channel and back again.

As a result all of Karen's bright red nasturtiums -- which she had been tending and nurturing for three months and had finally bloomed -- were torn off by the loose, raking bow rope. And she was none too pleased.

Personally, I have never moved anyone's boat without their help. I just move on. There's almost always somewhere to tie up nearby. People do some very arcane things when tying up their boats ... and usually for their own good reasons. And tampering with that can sometimes have unforseen consequences. OK, we can live without this year's pageant of red on the bow. But what if our suddenly wandering boat had damaged someone's gin palace pride and joy?

I would certainly share a ring or a bollard, if I share a bollard I will always put my rope lower down the bollard so my rope doesn't get it their way when they untie.

My dad taught me that it's always polite to tie your lines underneath the other boat's. On a VM we always tie to a shared ring or bollard where we can.

We had someone do this to us the other day on the Thames -- to move us back by about five feet. But instead of just loosening the bow rope by about five feet, they tied the rope backwards to another bollard beside the boat so that it floated loose. Everytime a cruiser went by the whole boat must have wandered about with the bow going five feet into the channel and back again.

As a result all of Karen's bright red nasturtiums -- which she had been tending and nurturing for three months and had finally bloomed -- were torn off by the loose, raking bow rope. And she was none too pleased.

Personally, I have never moved anyone's boat without their help. I just move on. There's almost always somewhere to tie up nearby. People do some very arcane things when tying up their boats ... and usually for their own good reasons. And tampering with that can sometimes have unforseen consequences. OK, we can live without this year's pageant of red on the bow. But what if our suddenly wandering boat had damaged someone's gin palace pride and joy?

This is exactly my point if it cant be tied securely dont move it. It can be anoying if your on a bollard or rings and someone moves you and your either now level with the rings so your boat moves back and forth or its not going to hold the boat in. Why i always say check before you move it this is a classic case of your boat was prob moored where it was due to getting onto the rings bollards in the right place to hold your boat.

On a river i would never touch someones boat a river is just too risky that if it comes loose from you touching it, it could quite easly catch a tide or fast flow and all hell can brake loose. I would either move on or tie along side till the owners came back and ask if they can move back a tad to let me in. On a river there are sometimes limited space for mooring so breasting up is a good option as long as the boats are tied up well i.e you take 2 lines to the bank too.

Bardney, on the River Witham just south of Lincoln. The rest of the pontoon was full. Six lines in use (three at the stern, centre - tied to a cleat, and two bow lines) which was rather OTT ...

My mistake I hadn't spotted the cleat! Apologies for having a laugh at your expense when it was my mistake!

I nearly guessed River Witham but didn't trust my judgement as I have not that much experience of the fens and similar areas

Edited by NickF

My mistake I hadn't spotted the cleat! Apologies for having a laugh at your expense when it was my mistake!

I nearly guessed River Witham but didn't trust my judgement as I have not that much experience of the fens and similar areas

No problem - both those lines were somewhat surplus to requirements. And I am not sure who decided that four fenders were needed,

It's a rather pleasant river, though quite hard to find moorings other than pontoons like this. Here's another one (Fiskerton)

dscf5477.jpg