Mystery location

Chertsey

Featured Posts

What an odd photo to have taken. There is probably something interesting in the field of view that lead to it being taken, but just doesn't show up.

I took a picture yesterday of a grey squirrel swimming across the cut. But the time my phone took the pic, the squirrel had just jumped out on the other side and gone, leaving me with an equally pointless-looking photo!

Looks to me like the K&A in Wiltshire...

The trouble is, I have no idea when it was taken either. And as Mike says, as to why..!

But I am very curious as to why my mother should have it, especially if it isn't one of mine.

My best guess was Northampton Arm but when I put it on the blog someone thought that was unlikely. Never considered possibility of North Oxford, I should have paid more attention the week before last. Northern T&M I don't know at all, nor K&A.

I guess there's never going to be a definitive answer, with such an absence of distinguishing features.

If they were the radio masts at Hillmorton, weren't there more of them?

Edited by Chertsey

Anyone have any idea what the black things are in the water between the boat and the swan?

I don't think they're ducks. I think they're shadows from prortuding masses of weed.

Now, IF I took this it could well have been on the Middle Levels, but the apparent presence of a towpath would appear to rule that out.

I don't think they're ducks. I think they're shadows from prortuding masses of weed.

Now, IF I took this it could well have been on the Middle Levels, but the apparent presence of a towpath would appear to rule that out.

.. and ditto the presence of hills? There aren't very many of those in the Middle Levels.

.. and ditto the presence of hills? There aren't very many of those in the Middle Levels.

It didn't look hilly to me, though maybe that is an issue of perspective. It looks like fields in the distance... Although they are green not black, so fair point.

I haven't a clue...

or rather I have but they only narrow the field of search

It has a near side and an off-side, one side is clearly maintained for access even if it's not used as a towpath

the countryside is not flat - the background may not be mountains but it is rolling a bit (rules out most of the fens)

the waterway is used but not well used (rules out the T&M I suspect)

If it's 60s or 70's it isn't the K and A, it's too clear for that (except for a few miles around Pewsey, the canal sections were derelict and unused - the bit around Pewsey had been cleared by the cruising club)

It could be one of the isolated stretches of the Grantham Canal that are 'in water' and have had some token dredging done, with the dredgings dumped in the canal bed, but right alongside the towpath. This has left a towpath wide enough to be mown with a farm tractor, as in the photo, and a relatively narrow width of canal.

If I had to make a guess as to where, I'd go for the length just East of Hickling.