42 feet of pure prettiness

MissMax

Featured Posts

I'll be 'bouncing down' in a heart beat (stupid maps don't obey me either)

Just stick your husband in a stamped addressed envelope and you can have him back by May...ish

Post Office refused to take livestock - he wasn't impressed at being described that way!

Hope you are having fun today :)

At least you tried and you may find some use for the crate you had him in ;)

I don't know if it is all canals, but I have met so many generous people in Skipton.

Not only has the Rt Hn Nightwatch and his young lady gone above and beyond all acts of kindness, but also the local disel

Place and five other people. Lots of advice for mooring, getting through gates and heating the boat! Now I know why puppy's lick

Pee when they are happy :)

Gonna have clean clothes tonight thanks a handy laundrette. A chap offered his services to open the water tank. Not sure

He can as the nuts look solid, at least it's something to look forward to when I get back to the boat.

Reversing sucks :(

Still waiting for more forum members to come to the boat.... We can snuggle and talk about cheese :)

Reversing nearly always sucks, but you do get better at it the more you try, in fact you will get better at nearly everything.

T.

Reversing nearly always sucks, but you do get better at it the more you try, in fact you will get better at nearly everything.

T.

Are you sure!

I would post about the NEW problems on the boat that this forum forced me to buy, but I won't as no one

Here will take responsibility for it :(

I need more money.....or kidneys and a business man with contacts

Absolutely sure.

I bought my boat 2 years ago in Stoke On Trent and brought it up to Middlewich single handed with very little experience.

The advice was that boats steer better at speed, so I cracked on and what I didn't crash into is hardly worth talking about.

Bridges, locks, the bank and the rescue boat at the north end of the Harecastle tunnel all fell foul of my crap helmsmanship and as for reversing, you have no idea.

I'm still not perfect, but I'm an awful lot better and, I hope, improving every time I go out.

Also, the equipment on your boat will take great delight in dropping you right in it just when a bit of an easy time would be sooooo nice.

You'll get through it all and you will look back and laugh at all the shit you had early on.

Keep the faith.

T.

Thank you for for that. Boat is wonderful until I have to move it and you are so right about the equipment springing surprises in me.

Going to bite the bullet today and move up to the 14 day mooring spots. Just need to get through 2 swing bridges and refill my tank.

I'll poke my inner REBAL into action :)

• Greenie 1

Miss Max. I mentioned yesterday that in the next hour or so, sone of the day boats from Pennine will be going out. Wait with engine running, tag onto the rear, day hirers are more than happy to work the bridges.

You have done really well so far, keep it up.

Martyn.

• Greenie 1

Good advice from Martyn.

Just to clarify and expand on this, if you are following a boat and the apir of you arrive at a swing or lift bridge, then the leading boat naturally has to stop and put crew ashore to work the bridge. You stop in mid canal behind them and wait.

Their crew opens the bridge and the lead boat passed through. it would be the height of rudeness for them not to invite you to follow through too while it is open, so you go through too.

And then their crew (still on the bank) close up and this involves you in no work at all. Result!!

Good advice from Martyn.

Just to clarify and expand on this, if you are following a boat and the apir of you arrive at a swing or lift bridge, then the leading boat naturally has to stop and put crew ashore to work the bridge. You stop in mid canal behind them and wait.

Their crew opens the bridge and the lead boat passed through. it would be the height of rudeness for them not to invite you to follow through too while it is open, so you go through too.

And then their crew (still on the bank) close up and this involves you in no work at all. Result!!

Until you get to the next bridge when you are now at the front and it is your job to work the bridge rolleyes.gif

Until you get to the next bridge when you are now at the front and it is your job to work the bridge rolleyes.gif

If your single handed they usually offer. As the ropes dangle over the canal and theirs usually a boat in the way they can't come through anyhow.

Can I call the RCR!

Made it through with the help of the husband who took care of my water tank for me, also taught me about parking and what side to be on. I'm currently at the 14 mooring spot but I have a problem .

Fuel cut off pull thing came off in my hand. Had to go inside engine room to turn off at mains. I am a bronze member but I don't know if RCR will come out for that?

Help,Advice and a hug is always welcome :)

Can I call the RCR!

Made it through with the help of the husband who took care of my water tank for me, also taught me about parking and what side to be on. I'm currently at the 14 mooring spot but I have a problem .

Fuel cut off pull thing came off in my hand. Had to go inside engine room to turn off at mains. I am a bronze member but I don't know if RCR will come out for that?

Help,Advice and a hug is always welcome smile.png

Hmmmm if by 'turn off at the mains' you mean you turned off the fuel supply tap then yes you'll probably need RCR. The fuel system will probably need bleeding to get the engine running again as air is quite likely to have been introduced.

On the other hand it you just pulled the lever at the other end of the STOP cable then the knob just needs screwing back on, probably.

What did you turn off to stop the engine, exactly? A photo of it would be good...

(Diesels can be bit like girls sometimes...they can get extremely touchy about having their fuel supply cut off :D )

I had to go into the engine room and turn it off at the mains. It took a long time for the engine to stop. The cable is broken for the thing I pull.

Yeahbutnobutyeahbutnobut.... WHAT is it you are calling 'the mains'? There is no such thing in a normal bote...

('Mains' being the term normally used for a 240Vac electricity supply.)

Any stickers or plates with details on, on top or the side of the engine?

Hopefully you will have a little hand pump on top of the fuel filter, or maybe a black soft ball thing on the fuel pipe somewhere that you squeeze by hand, these are to get fuel back into the engine, failing that you will need to crack an injector and turn the engine over till fuel starts coming out...

Or just call a mechanic.

At the main fuel cut off handle next to the engine in the boat. It says.

'FUEL CUT OFF MAINS'

In black writing, hence the word 'Mains'

No pudding for you tonight.

You may have trouble starting it now as the engine may need bleeding. The engine shut off cable goes to a "box" on the engine its this you pull to turn off the engine.

If you do have trouble starting, don't panic as it looks like you've starved the engine of fuel so it more likely won't. If it does start it will properly stop soon after, so don't start the engine and set off, run it for around 5 minutes to make sure.

Oh and find the proper stopping box thing that the stop cable should be attached to before starting again.

Edited by Robbo

Been in the engine room. Found a container resting not the metal arm that the cable pulls to stop the engine.

I took that off and tried pulling that handle again. The handle seems to be back to normal now ( not coming all the way out and heading to Cuba) . Do I try the engine or wait for RCR ?

Thank you everyone for helping.

PS

Do I turn the fuel cut off switch back on now?

Edited by MissMax