Walk Through or Off Corridor your thoughts

wullie

Featured Posts

Off corridor. I like to be able to walk through the boat at all times.

And a composting loo. No smell, no water, looks after itself, and only needs emptying every few months.

Probably the best solution, much talked about in a bad way (mostly) by people that never had one and only spread stories around they've heard of other people that didn't have one either.

Peter.

Save even more space, get a good old fashioned galvanised pail. Bucket & chuckit, then store the pail in a cupboard.

:)

Also no need to worry whether or not Braunston Elsan is blocked (yet again).

Even more space saving... ditch the bucket and moor up somewhere with plentiful bushes for use as an outdoor cludgie.

Our shared boat had the "facilities" in a room with its own door into the passage way and as the boat was built to sleep 6, that was probably the best arrangement although it made for a fairly small room. However, our own boat has no door on the "facilities" but you can shut a corridor door at either end if you wish. I love this layout as it gives a lovely big shower, lots of space for ablutions and getting dressed and undressed. When we bought the boat, the intention was to put in a sliding door but we won't do that now as we both like things the way they are. With only 2 of us on board the likeliehood of someone needing to get from bow to stern in a hurry while someone is using the loo are negligible.

No right or wrong arrangement, just what suits you

haggis

Mine is a kind of hybrid that's both and neither. Usually the boat is set up with a corridor past the bathroom. However the floor area of the bathroom is only 4' x 2'8" when configured in this way so the doors double up in function and when 'closed' they cut off the corridor to give a 6' x 2'8" bathroom. In reality it's not possible to walk through without squashing the person using the bathroom with the doors. I have a bath, sink, two cupboards and portapotti in there though. It's an ingenious boat although I think many would say the bathroom is a bit bonkers. The sink is on a cantilever arm and sits over the bath. To get to the bath the sink has to be stowed out of the way against the wall. One end of the bath extends 'outside' the bathroom and under the rear bunk.

JP

Having had both walk through and corridor we much prefer the walk through because of the extra space. Smells are dealt with by an extractor fan in the mushroom vent. Most of the time its just the two of us aboard, if we regularly had more then we might think differently.

As for pump out vs cassette the arguments never end, so I wont go there.

Top Cat

I saw 1 boat that was set up for both. Ingenious layout of the bathroom & doors meant it could be walkthrough, but the doors layout meant the toilet could be closed off leaving access to the shower, or the shower could be closed off leaving access to the toilet, & both could be closed off leaving a corridor

This is the set-up we did on my brother's boat, toilet to the right, bath to the left, corridor down the middle, but the toilet shut off. The toilet doors opened either end to shut off the corridor forming a larger bathroom. With this set-up the toilet can also be used without closing off the corridor for access beyond if needed. It's worked well for them.

Corridor and cassette option for us too. Our set up sounds very similar to Dor's.

Ours is a 57' boat. Most of the time there's just the two of us but on the occasions when we have visitors staying with us the corridor type arrangement seem to allow someone to be in the bathroom whilst everyone else can move up and down the boat. Less pressure on the bathroom occupant.

Ours is a mixture. A 58' boat with a corridor because we want to be able to get from one end to the other if we need to when under way. But the doors to the bathroom fold out to provide a larger closed space for showers when moored up.

For us cassettes, no question.

I have a corridor on one side with a separate shower/ bath room and separate toilet room big enough to get down and have a good olde grunt in it which is a pump out.

I like the corridor option I for us it's not a big wasted space, the downside I find is that the walking bit is to one side off the boat so when we all are on the boat it naturally leans to one side and as the toilet tank fills up it goes a bit more.