What's the Problem with fenders down while cruising?

pig

Featured Posts

Side fenders sometimes help prevent banging around when you are moored up, but that is the only advantage.

Anyone still using them in locks need to stop with immediate effect. They are dangerous. I've been wedged in a lock with another boat who's owner insisted on deploying them on both sides.

Side fenders on a narrow boat offer bugger all protection in the event of a side impact from another narrow boat anyway. As someone else said, that's why your boat builder put rubbing streaks on it for you.

If you are that worried about your precious boat kissing something, please stay in the marina.

The only vaguely valid argument made in this whole thread about fenders is the one about safety in locks. (The rest are just snobbery and aesthetics). However the safety argument simply does not stand up to any proper scrutiny. Yes, fenders down can cause hang ups in locks but they can also protect from hang ups in locks, depending on the circumstances. I've seen both.

So if you like to put them up, fine. If you like to leave them down, also fine. Just don't use either option as an excuse to not remain vigilant at locks.

Boats can hang in locks off the front and rear fenders. How many of you remove those every time you cruise?

Fenders becoming detached, and ending up round someone else's prop, isn't aesthetics, nor is it snobbery.

Fenders while down are bad as if you meet another boat and pass in a bridge and both there fenders are down what happens?

They either get snagged to eachother or you get stuck!

I have big rope fenders she would look stupid and pointless with them down while moving and in narrow bridges i would just get stuck.

My fenders are permanently deployed. I have a series of steel ones running along the length of the hull. I believe some call them rubbing strakes?

I would contend those are things properly designed to cope with the everyday contact with the bank and lock walls.

I also have four lovely big ropework cushions to stop the boat banging against the side when moored. Purely a comfort thing.

JP

• Greenie 1

Side fenders sometimes help prevent banging around when you are moored up, but that is the only advantage.

Anyone still using them in locks need to stop with immediate effect. They are dangerous. I've been wedged in a lock with another boat who's owner insisted on deploying them on both sides.

Side fenders on a narrow boat offer bugger all protection in the event of a side impact from another narrow boat anyway. As someone else said, that's why your boat builder put rubbing streaks on it for you.

If you are that worried about your precious boat kissing something, please stay in the marina.

I see the tone of this thread is descending, terms like "and of" and "precious boat" "stay in the marina" rather brings it down a level of two

Phil

• Greenie 2

On the canal yes we do leave them out, laziness maybe, close manovering, slow speed, tow path mooring up, and going into locks.

Not want to damage boat or others just in case

if you put fenders on the bottom of the boat it might help to protect the canal bed as well. unsure.png

I only ever use side fenders when absolutely necessary, such as mooring close to another boat. Steel hulled boats are robustly built and most don't need the protection offered. I've never understood why boaters hang 3 along the hull side on the offside of their boat. But then, many modern practices seem strange to me.....

Dave

I see the tone of this thread is descending, terms like "and of" and "precious boat" "stay in the marina" rather brings it down a level of two

Phil

I'm just expressing how strongly I feel about it. I assume most boats are kept in a marina these days. Mine was. Aren't all boats precious to their owners?

Have you ever been wedged in a lock by another boat who has it's side fenders deployed? It's veey frightening to see the water lap around your back door.

If anyone here still leaves their side fenders down in locks, please could they explain their thought process. The only excuses I can come up with are laziness or forgetfulness.

On the coast fenders always brought back in and stored when leaving the marina.

Before entering a marina, or any close quartering then fenders come out, including some big locks.

On the canal yes we do leave them out, laziness maybe, close manovering, slow speed, tow path mooring up, and going into locks.

Not want to damage boat or others just in case

Being a wide beam going up or down stops scraping on the boat.im always in a lock by ourselves tho.

Surely as other posters says, whether you do or don't it's no ones business but your own.

Col

I don't think you can have read the thread.

There are multiple posts from people who have been heavily affected by side fenders down on other peoples boats. Me being one of them when side fenders on a boat I was sharing a lock with caused us to both jam in the lock.

After an hour with a breadknife we eventually got free.

Since then, and since getting another boaters side fender caught up in my blade, I have the evidence that boaters cruisng with side fenders down affects other boaters.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

On the cut, always side fenders up, for all the reasons here.

Out here in the Fens, on the Nene, Ouse, a d Middle Level, side fenders- moped tyres- down.

The reason for that is the "safety" chains on the side of the locks, attached to eyebolts that are stuck out of the lock walls. Having had three different boats hang on the chains, you need fairly thick fenders to keep the boat away and avoid hanging, particularly in a rapidly draining Irthlingborough lock- which was terrifying.

I'm the biggest "fender hater" when on the cut, going as far as to award the Testicle Award every day to the most extravagantly befendered boat, but there are some navigations when you need them.

On the cut, always side fenders up, for all the reasons here.

Out here in the Fens, on the Nene, Ouse, a d Middle Level, side fenders- moped tyres- down.

The reason for that is the "safety" chains on the side of the locks, attached to eyebolts that are stuck out of the lock walls. Having had three different boats hang on the chains, you need fairly thick fenders to keep the boat away and avoid hanging, particularly in a rapidly draining Irthlingborough lock- which was terrifying.

I'm the biggest "fender hater" when on the cut, going as far as to award the Testicle Award every day to the most extravagantly befendered boat, but there are some navigations when you need them.

Exactly, try it with a boat where the gunwales/side deck over hangs the hull sides by a good three inches, a recipe for catching the chains and chamber wall edge when descending with disastrous consequences.

Add to that a lock every 30-45 mins and you soon ditch the silly notion of removing them when underway.

Being a proper width means no fear of having anyone beside us to get wedged upon.

It's clear that many posting on this thread have only limited knowledge of the issue ;)

• Greenie 1

Exactly, try it with a boat where the gunwales/side deck over hangs the hull sides by a good three inches, a recipe for catching the chains and chamber wall edge when descending with disastrous consequences.

Add to that a lock every 30-45 mins and you soon ditch the silly notion of removing them when underway.

Being a proper width means no fear of having anyone beside us to get wedged upon.

It's clear that many posting on this thread have only limited knowledge of the issue wink.png

It IS a canal forum, not a rivers and fens forum! ;)

I don't think you can have read the thread.

There are multiple posts from people who have been heavily affected by side fenders down on other peoples boats. Me being one of them when side fenders on a boat I was sharing a lock with caused us to both jam in the lock.

After an hour with a breadknife we eventually got free.

Since then, and since getting another boaters side fender caught up in my blade, I have the evidence that boaters cruisng with side fenders down affects other boaters.

That is quite right. I don't especially like it when folk go along with fenders down but that is up to them but when they leave them down in a shared lock that is another thing as they can be potentially threatening both our safety using the lock. I always ask them to lift the fenders if they refuse I let them go on without me.

if you put fenders on the bottom of the boat it might help to protect the canal bed as well. unsure.png

Im going to do this from now on i might tow a semi asemble mooring pontoon so i can stop anywhere with big tyres on so my boat dosnt get the bottom damaged might just block the cut now i cant get banged about by any passing boat. Mmmmm i like this idea.

(For sale idea of towed floating pontoon for mooring anywhere pref on the bank with fishermen on

It IS a canal forum, not a rivers and fens forum! ;)

So no talking about the Thames, the K&A the Trent or anywhere else then ;) I meant the issue as in why fenders are used in certain situations. A blanket no side fenders when under way does not cover all craft or locations.

You just beat me to that one.

I presume the lock walls on rivers and the fens have no appendages to snag a side fender then?

In a square sided tin skip it's still an issue as the rubbing streaks or baseplate can catch.

As I said, little knowledge, which we all know is a dangerous thing.

The fender is needed to keep the boat clear as FTS points out, all locks are a minimum 10'+ odd wide.

Edited by gazza
  • Greenie 1

So no talking about the Thames, the K&A the Trent or anywhere else then ;)

In a square sided tin skip it's still an issue as the rubbing streaks or baseplate can catch.

As I said, little knowledge, which we all know is a dangerous thing.

We were in a lock on the upper Thames just recently where a plastic boat got it's fender rope stuck on a chain. It caused the boat to crash down violently into us.

So yes, little knowledge is dangerous.

We were in a lock on the upper Thames just recently where a plastic boat got it's fender rope stuck on a chain. It caused the boat to crash down violently into us.

So yes, little knowledge is dangerous.

But that's a river, what's it got to do with this discussion? ;)

Lol

Our boat is a Widebeam so I don't /Carnt share a lock, in a lock I may move a bit to port or starboard as I rare tie up.

I agree that narrow boats on a canal may have lock problems if fenders are down if sharing

But Putting on fenders protects your boat and others boats

let's face it GRP boats against steel boats don't fare too well if squeezed in a lock together

This is perhaps why lock keepers let the steel boats in first.

Why would fenders end up on the bottom of a canal ?

Being on a canal sometimes on a fat boat, might mean tight situations it's nice to know that if boats our boats collide, no damage.

Although below is when I'm moored up

Many a time I've had boats going past on my mooring which if a boat is moored opposite, and you get boats whether another Widebeam or hire boat pass in the middle I have boats touch mine and it protects either boat,plus my wife's bloody aderments don't fall of the shelf.

And I cannot understand why folks who don't move from their marina, but just enjoy being a boat owner gets so much stick,

They can do what they want!, it's not your business simples

Edited by bigcol
  • Greenie 1

Why would fenders end up on the bottom of a canal ?

Because they sunk.

Seriously, some designed for narrow boats, like the thin long black one's don't float.

River type fenders being depolyed on a widebeam in a wide canal lock has got to be a bad idea. Don't forget any boat stuck in a lock inconveniences others.

It's personal preference, really, isn't it?

I used to cruise all the time with my fenders down.

Having had a few issues with extra-narrow locks, like some on the Stratford, I've got into the habit of picking them up just before I leave a mooring.

I find it easier to remember to do this than to remember exactly where the "tight" locks are.