HNBC 50th Anniversary Campaign Rally at Woking

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

We had desperately hoped to take one of out two historic boats to the HNBC 50th Anniversary Campaign Rally taking place at Woking this coming weekend.

Unfortunately circumstances have prevented that, and one is now in dry dock, and the other laid up on its home mooring.

We are considering putting in an appearance for the weekend by car, staying in a local hotel.

However I am struggling to find any program events, so other than knowing that up to 50 "historics" may attend, I am not sure what else is going on.

Will there, for example be any evening gathering or festivities?

If anybody can provide more information, maybe even a programme of events, then I would be most grateful.

That's a post about the hopper that has gone missing from Icknield Port loop on the BCN - are you thinking it may have made it to Woking?

FB_IMG_1470320681687_zpsprvwxfz1.jpg

Thanks - exactly what I was after, and the same just acquired via "Black Ibis", but on Facebook.

The power of the Internet!

They would have done well to get to Woking.

The shallowest bits are as you go in off the Wey and running up to Woking.

Darren you will need a passport. Us Surrey types like to make it awkward for the Middlesex types. ;)

Edited by mark99

Sorry I'm having a bit of a thick moment. Is this do also open to the pubic or just HNBC members with or without boat. Anyone know please.

Darren

I believe the published events are open to the public, but the as the poster says you have to be either an HNBC or BCS member to get into the bar in the evening. I'm in the BCS but not sure how I'll prove it.

Parking is in the nearby town centre car parks - the train (Waterloo / Bournemouth line) is an option, not too far to walk.

Hoping to join the NBT crew for a beer tomorrow evening.

Well we were planning to be there both days.

However after an unbelievably slow trip on the "Road to Hell" this morning, we are still not there, and have decided lunch and a toilet break takes precedence over our arrival time.

Still hope to make it some time this afternoon!

No photos from me, as the phone was flat, but we did go for the weekend, arriving Friday night and leaving Sunday afternoon.

Of the 31 historic boats in attendance, all said that the canal was much easier going than they thought it would be, and that the BCA rangers and staff were incredibly helpful. One incident in a lock, with a bit of a jam, but that could happen anywhere- and was fixed much sooner than CRT could manage.

Quite a few made it AFAIK up Deepcut, too, to the head of navigation.

The BCA are more confident about water now; a major abstractor of water from the major aquifer supplying the springs which fill the cut is stopping, so more should be available.

The NBT got a pair up, with a 20 ton load on, and several boats loaded when there- e.g. Pete Boyce loaded the first set of timber since 1949 at a wharf in Woking.

In short, it's a lovely cut, which I wish I'd been able to do more boating on.

It's no way near as bad as the reputation it has; thoroughly recommended to everyone.

Didnt take the boat but thanks to tony got to go bolinder boating. Big smiles.

Glad we didnt go by boat lovely canal but far to shallow at the bank. Its bad enough trying to find a deep spot let aloan on a shallow canal. But was a really nice doo

Anyone got a list of boats?

I didn't make one, but some I remember......

Atlantic

Bath

Beatty

Bream (front end)

Bream (back end)

Brighton

Cassiopeia

Chertsey

Clover

Crane

Cyprus

Enterprise

Finch

Lacerta

Lindsay

Nuneaton

Owl (The newer one)

Pacific

Plover

Purton

Renfrew

Stanton

Stewarts & Lloyds Tug No 1

Stewarts & Lloyds Tug No 2 (Algol)

Tench

Thea

Thor

Typhoon

Warbler (Libra)

Not doing very well here - must be missing at least half a dozen more, I think, particularly as I have not remembered any alphabetically between F & L!

Edited by alan_fincher

The head of navigation would be Greywall not Deepcut.

I would have thought the low bridges may have stopped a few boats going to the head. (air dr. = 5.10").

They have added backpumps to some locks and also the Hampshire long pound is used as a small ressie.

The bassy gets better the further you go imo.

Edited by mark99

plus a few more not on this list i beleive 100_5734.JPG 100_5735.JPG

As far as i know all the boats that attended were on my dads boat list mag.

Was nice to see 5 s&l boats even better to see the 4 tugs shame they wernt in order could have had tugs 1-4 infront then squire behind them.

+ a big thanks to tony again for my trip love being behind the controls of a bolinder