Cropredy Spar shop

homer2911

Featured Posts

Outrageously, the only convenience store in Cropredy, makes quite significant hikes to its prices during the Fairport Festival weekend - second weekend in August, so be warned!. One day a nice warm croissant is 80p, the next its well over a quid. Does anyone know if there is a special arrangement for locals who shop there all year round, or do they just stay away from the shop that weekend?

the only thing that got me (we were there last year the week before the festival) was that they threw away all their frozen food to make room for booze. You can't buy much to cook a meal in there once the festy is on. Have to go into Banbury. Didn't notice any price hikes though, it was corner shop prices to start with.

There is only one pub left there now if I recall correctly.

There goes half of the very popular fringe festival

There is only one pub left there now if I recall correctly.

Just checked the village we site - the Red Lion re-opened in June - YAY!

Its a difficult one.

Boat hire companies, airlines and holiday lets all put the prices up in summer. We live in a capitalist economy and supply and demand is a big part of that.

Perhaps Cropredy only has a shop and two pubs because of the festival income, so festival goers are helping to keep the village alive.

However I can't feeling that a fair few of the locals are pretty wealthy already and don't need us to subsidise their village.

I assume its quite an effort for the shop to bring in extra and different stock for the festival weekend.

...................Dave

Outrageously, the only convenience store in Cropredy, makes quite significant hikes to its prices during the Fairport Festival weekend - second weekend in August, so be warned!. One day a nice warm croissant is 80p, the next its well over a quid. Does anyone know if there is a special arrangement for locals who shop there all year round, or do they just stay away from the shop that weekend?

Have to say, I've never seen "a nice warm croissant" for sale in there, ever!

Now we know, we can bring our own food to the festival if we object to the shop turning a decent profit for the weekend.

Come the revolution, Cropredy Spar Shop will be first against the wall...

Surely not, Solicitors and estate agents were always first, especially those who now charge buyers a finders feed in addition to charging the sellers.

................Dave

Where are all you Cropredy festival goers for the rest of the year when the shop's trying to make a profit and stay open.

You don't have to spend money in there, but I can't agree the owner should be 'damned' for seizing an opportunity.

Rog

• Greenie 1

Where are all you Cropredy festival goers for the rest of the year when the shop's trying to make a profit and stay open.

You don't have to spend money in there, but I can't agree the owner should be 'damned' for seizing an opportunity.

Rog

If it wasn't for the festival there wouldn't be a shop....or 2 pubs....I'm afraid. I don't blame them for the price hike at all.

Cheers

Gareth

• Greenie 1

Presumably Fairport themselves don't seek to make a penny out of the event. Right??

Don't knock it. The festival is a key part of the local economy and spending on that leisure activity in the village is what keeps the place alive. It isn't Glastonbury. Boaters get to moor up right in the middle of it if they like, and get the music for free, a pretty good piracy download by most standards.

Of course they increase the prices - the place is mobbed and the shop is there to make money - it isn't actually a social service funded by the state. That Spar shop is on the borderline based on my visit last week - low levels of stock and having to serve a market, like so many in that area, polarised between quite poor and quite rich customers, with competition from Banbury etc, and it didn't look to me to be doing well. They need to milk the festival for all its worth or the village will lose its only shop. Like so many other villages round the country.

You can always move on down to moor near Lidl/Aldi in Banbury if you want cheap stuff that kills the rural economy. In due course that will be the only place you can get anything at all.

None of the above answers my original question - is there a special arrangement for locals during that weekend? It just annoys me to be using a shop for a week or more before the festival starts, then stand open-mouthed at the price hikes. It didn't happen with the previous owners. A local friend has told me she doesn't shop there an more at all, simply because of the changes in practices

Surely not, Solicitors and estate agents were always first, especially those who now charge buyers a finders feed in addition to charging the sellers.

................Dave

You forgot bankers ...

Iain

None of the above answers my original question - is there a special arrangement for locals during that weekend? It just annoys me to be using a shop for a week or more before the festival starts, then stand open-mouthed at the price hikes. It didn't happen with the previous owners. A local friend has told me she doesn't shop there an more at all, simply because of the changes in practices

If there is an arrangement for locals, then unless you are a local, you are unlikely to be aware of it. If you only arrive a week before the festival, then you are not a local!

20,000 people don't visit Cropredy for a Croissant.

Get over it.

If you can't, go to the Carcassonne instead to enjoy your croissant.

I wondered how long it would take for the abuse to start - the croissant was just one example, but obviously it now labels me as some sort of yuppie. End of thread for me,

I'm sorry you feel any of the opposing views are 'abuse'.

That certainly was never my intention with regard to my responses, and if it was any of the other respondents intention, then they are pretty rubbish at abuse.

I simply don't agree with your initial post.

I hope the Cropredy shop remains open, and if to further that end, the owner hikes prices one or two weeks a year, I support them. I would expect to pay something of a premium at that type of shop all year round to be honest, for the convenience.

Rog

The locals are all doing airbnb to festival goers and charging huge amounts for the bacon and eggs they got from Lidl!

I wondered how long it would take for the abuse to start - the croissant was just one example, but obviously it now labels me as some sort of yuppie. End of thread for me,

Abuse?

Strawberries are more expensive all winter vs summer.

Ice (if you buy it) is cheaper in winter than in summer.

Fans are cheaper in winter and unavailable in summer.

You can get a cracking deal on a Xmas tree in the summer.

The croissants of cropredy are also more expensive for one week of the year!

Supply and demand.....that's life!

It just annoys me to be using a shop for a week or more before the festival starts, then stand open-mouthed at the price hikes. It didn't happen with the previous owners.

Oh yes it most certainly did. Obviously you have not known the village for very long.