Anderton Boat Lift queues?

Suzie_q

Featured Posts

So on our way up to Northwich to see the grand kids and passing through Colwich lock, Sue helped the previous boat through. When I got in the lock she informed me that the other boat owner had said that the boat lift has 3 hr queues most of the time and it's essential to book.

Is this right?

Never in my experience!....think the most I've waited is an hour and that was after they had screwed up the booking system for those that had booked and mangaged to get a backlog. Most times I've gone straight in or at most had time for a cuppa while waiting.

Cheers

Gareth

So on our way up to Northwich to see the grand kids and passing through Colwich lock, Sue helped the previous boat through. When I got in the lock she informed me that the other boat owner had said that the boat lift has 3 hr queues most of the time and it's essential to book.

Is this right?

No.

There is no such thing as a physical que, well not a 3hr one anyway.

When you arrive at Anderton take the first available space you see and then have a wonder round to the lift visitor centre. Go down the stairs and there is a door to the bookings office. Ask them to put you on the next available lift passage. This can be any time from 'straight away', to a few hours wait depending on if they have people who have pre-booked or if the trip boat is taking up the next passage. They will give you a time slot. No later than 30 mins before your time slot you need to move onto the lift holding moorings directly outside the visitor centre (you'll see them as you walk into the building). From there on you will be under the direction of the lift operators.

There is the option to pre-book, but this costs £5. Just ring them up and they will give you as close to the time you request as they can. The disadvantage to this is that it puts you under pressure to arrive at Anderton by a certain time. The only advantage to it is that it saves you mooring up first and walking to the office.

I have never pre-booked and have never had to wait more than a couple of hours. Quite often they will put you straight on the next lift. If you do have to wait, it is not a que like you will find at locks, everyone holding a centre rope and shuffling up etc. They give you a time, and until then you can just moor up, relax and put the kettle on.

Don't be concerned/stressed/worried about booking, waiting for, and going down the lift. It's quite straightforward and remember that they deal with hundreds of people/boats who have never done it before. If you have any questions, ask the reception staff and they will tell you exactly where you need to be and when.

Incidentally, i am hoping to go down in the first lift passage tomorrow morning. If you can get there for then we might share the trip together!

Edited by junior

I came up off the River and onto the canal this morning. I arrived at 9.45 and with nobody else about was put straight in for the 10am lift.

Went up on my own and there was only one boat in the next caisson going down. No queues either on the holding moorings.

The Boat Lift does appear to be breaking dow a fair amount this year which I hope they iron out.

I have only booked once when we had guests onboard and we had a day out planned, other times I have never waited more than one trip.

Same with us except that on the booked day the lift broke down and ended up giving our fiver back.

Only been down and then back up once.

When we arrived not having booked when we eventually found the booking office (it is very hard to find) it was closed with a sign saying back in an hour or something. When we did eventually find someone in the office the gave us a time for late afternoon, we had arrived there about 10am. We went back to the boat which was moored just to the north of the lift and one of the operators approached us to see if we wanted to go now now as there was space. No no idea why they gave us late afternoon, the process did not seem great. This was about 4 years ago though.

Edited by john6767

Any moorings left at Northwich town centre? It's been full the last few times I've been up to see the kids.

In tbe marina, or visitor mooring?

The marina can usually accommodate an overnight visitor i think, but you'd need to call ahead.

I was in Northwich at 3pm today. Space for at least 3 full length boats on the town wall opposite the marina. The wall behind McDonald's (with bollards) was totally empty, so probably room for 6 boats. This wouldn't be my choice though unless everywhere was full. Space for one boat on the bollards next to the services. Space for 2 boats below Hunts Lock (5 min walk into town and much more peaceful).

If you don't need to be bang in the middle of town, then the new rising pontoons just below the lift had space for 6 boats, plus the old visitor mooring next to them was empty (pins required) with space for about 4 boats.

I can't ever imagine not being able to find a space in or near Northwich.

Thanks junior. Would be nice to be in the middle on the visitors mooring. One daughter lives just above hunts lock and the other near broken cross so was looking for somewhere central to be able to pick each of them up in turn.

Thanks junior. Would be nice to be in the middle on the visitors mooring. One daughter lives just above hunts lock and the other near broken cross so was looking for somewhere central to be able to pick each of them up in turn.

The 48's just below Hunts lock are good.

MP.

Don't be put off by scare-mongering,it is a great experience and the Weaver is a lovely river.

Incidentally,most of the recent breakdowns have been caused either by lack of maintenance or

failure of the modern electronics!! Not problems which occurred prior to 1984!

Don't be put off by scare-mongering,it is a great experience and the Weaver is a lovely river.

Incidentally,most of the recent breakdowns have been caused either by lack of maintenance or

failure of the modern electronics!! Not problems which occurred prior to 1984!

Err, wasn't it lack of maintenance, resulting in severe rusting that caused the lift to be taken out of service on 1984?

Edited to replace an "i" with an 8.

Edited by cuthound