Braunston 2016

Ray T

Featured Posts

Nice video, thank you.

I take exception to the accusation of displaying a "gung-ho" attitude at the start of the video.

I was actually clearing the junction as quickly as safely practicable, so the next boat (Owl I think) could start his manoeuvre before wind and currents made life difficult for him.

I was well aware of all other boats around me and knew I had ample space to slow to join the back of the queue!

George ex nb Alton retired

Nice video, thank you.

I take exception to the accusation of displaying a "gung-ho" attitude at the start of the video.

I was actually clearing the junction as quickly as safely practicable, so the next boat (Owl I think) could start his manoeuvre before wind and currents made life difficult for him.

I was well aware of all other boats around me and knew I had ample space to slow to join the back of the queue!

I was a bit taken aback by that comment too, I wondered what you'd make of it!

I was a bit taken aback by that comment too, I wondered what you'd make of it!

The gent who made the video and was commentating is an ex ITV reporter. He has only been on the cut since October when he moved aboad his first boat.

http://cruisingthecut.co.uk/

http://www.davidjohns.tv/

I do so many edits it would take too long to say what they are!

Edited by Ray T

The gent who made the video and was commentating is an ex ITV reporter. He has only been on the cut since October when he moved aboad is first boat.

http://cruisingthecut.co.uk/

http://www.davidjohns.tv/

I thought the voice sounded familiar.

So the reporting is well up to usual TV standards and, from past experience, no apology or change of content will be anticipated.

Edited to add,

Following a complaint by me as a comment on the film on You Tube, the maker added the following comment,

"No offence was intended. The footage shows a boat coming at a decent clip round the corner and slowing when the traffic jam ahead is spotted. I don't think "gung ho", meaning enthusiastic and keen, is negative in any sense."

I will leave others to judge whether I am being over sensitive.

G

Edited by furnessvale

• 2 weeks later...

To be completely fair, I did think the speed looked excessive in the circumstances that were immediately evident... in frame...

However, the video frames that followed showed the boat was actually well under control, and given that the skipper is so highly experienced, that's hardly surprising!

In fact seeing the "old hands" at work, if you'll forgive the expression, is an absolute pleasure, particularly how they handled the locks with such athleticism.

Interesting too the different lines taken when exiting the bridge, I can't imagine how many attempts it would take me to get round in a big girl!

Must have been an incredibly hard life, the boating families and workers have my utmost respect.

To be completely fair, I did think the speed looked excessive in the circumstances that were immediately evident... in frame...

However, the video frames that followed showed the boat was actually well under control, and given that the skipper is so highly experienced, that's hardly surprising!

In fact seeing the "old hands" at work, if you'll forgive the expression, is an absolute pleasure, particularly how they handled the locks with such athleticism.

Interesting too the different lines taken when exiting the bridge, I can't imagine how many attempts it would take me to get round in a big girl!

Must have been an incredibly hard life, the boating families and workers have my utmost respect.

I have been recording some of Mike H's reminiscence's about his life. Yes at times it was hard but they had a freedom at work we no longer have.

I have been fortunate to meet other boaters via Mike and I have yet to meet one, who given the chance, would'nt do it all again.

Not only was the life hard but they had to put up with insults, acts of abuse and complete lack of understanding from so called civilised people off the bank. I am not saying they were angels by any manner of means as some of them weren't, like all walks of life.

One of Mike's "We were not gypsy's, we worked for our living." Edited for colourful language!

Not only lock usage, but watch the nonchalant, professional ease with which they still handle a working narrowboat.

I was in awe watching Mike's brother in law Jim steering Cassiopeia, one of "his" boats from working days.

Photo courtesy of Ian M of this parish.

Edited by Ray T

"All he's learnt is churning up the mud and knocking down the banks and that is all he will ever know, I can tell you that.
'ere hand up some more grub".

From "Painted Boats"? Charming film, happy children, all smiles! :)

"All he's learnt is churning up the mud and knocking down the banks and that is all he will ever know, I can tell you that.

'ere hand up some more grub".

From "Painted Boats"? Charming film, happy children, all smiles! smile.png

Yes, old man Smith utters this on several occasions. Wasn't "all smiles" when he died though!

I have been recording some of Mike H's reminiscence's about his life. Yes at times it was hard but they had a freedom at work we no longer have.

I have been fortunate to meet other boaters via Mike and I have yet to meet one, who given the chance, would'nt do it all again.

Not only was the life hard but they had to put up with insults, acts of abuse and complete lack of understanding from so called civilised people off the bank. I am not saying they were angels by any manner of means as some of them weren't, like all walks of life.

One of Mike's "We were not gypsy's, we worked for our living." Edited for colourful language!

Not only lock usage, but watch the nonchalant, professional ease with which they still handle a working narrowboat.

I was in awe watching Mike's brother in law Jim steering Cassiopeia, one of "his" boats from working days.

Photo courtesy of Ian M of this parish.

Jim Hambridge 3.jpg

Seeing him back Cassiopeia into the 'arm' was almost poetry in motion. Just looked effortless!

In the clip of "Rocket Ron" he passes a wooden narrow boat with a deep counter, does anyone know the name?

I think it is what is now known as "Linnet", but IIRC it is not known which one it was originally.

• 2 weeks later...

Becky and I are on Nutfield from 3:35 in the first one and I'm leaping around from 11:24 in the second one as the parade opens and whoever is doing the talking is not necessarily looking where they're steering and I think about fending off but not wanting to spoil the 'occasion' :)