what are these little things called?

lawzy

Featured Posts

Hey guys,

I visited my boat earlier today and found that one of these has come off the pram cover. it is used on the straps that hold the sections up and out of the way but for the life of me i couldn't tell you what they are called so i was wondering if anyone knew what they are called and how do i measure it?

post-26083-0-30871400-1466357385_thumb.jpg

any help would be appreciated

Lawzy.

Hey guys,

I visited my boat earlier today and found that one of these has come off the pram cover. it is used on the straps that hold the sections up and out of the way but for the life of me i couldn't tell you what they are called so i was wondering if anyone knew what they are called and how do i measure it?

attachicon.gif20160619_181445.jpg

any help would be appreciated

Lawzy.

I don't know if it is correct but I would call the "Press Studs".

I don't know if it is correct but I would call the "Press Studs".

yep a quick search throws up that they are indeed press studs. now i will just have to find the local Chandlers and get a few.

I thought eyelet as well from the op's description but I think that what is happening is the cover is being rolled up and secured by a strap with poppers on it and this is one of those poppers aka press studs :)

I thought eyelet as well from the op's description but I think that what is happening is the cover is being rolled up and secured by a strap with poppers on it and this is one of those poppers aka press studs smile.png

ye it is a press stud from the strap that holds the rolled up cover.

the problem i have with buying off ebay with stuff like this is that im not 100% on the size of my press stud and the pictures aren't always the same as the item you are buying, they are just generic pictures.

so il play it safe and go to a chandlers and probably pay over the odds for it but i will have the item i want and then il be a happy chappy with a press stud to fit.

ye it is a press stud from the strap that holds the rolled up cover.

the problem i have with buying off ebay with stuff like this is that im not 100% on the size of my press stud and the pictures aren't always the same as the item you are buying, they are just generic pictures.

so il play it safe and go to a chandlers and probably pay over the odds for it but i will have the item i want and then il be a happy chappy with a press stud to fit.

As was pointed out in #9 don't forget to buy the fitting tool at the same time.

And the little things are called centimetres wink.png

Don't mislead the poor bloke he is confused enough already.

The 'middle sized' ones are centimetres, the 'little things' are called millimetres.

The big ones are called 'inches' but SWMBO gets very confused with those, she seem to think ..................................

I think that you may need a simple tool set to fit them (anvil & punch).

Phillips screwdriver and block of wood! (I have since made a better one.) I bought some of these studs off the poeple who made our cover. Think they are 6mm.