Fishing pegs

colmac

Featured Posts

If the secretary of a fishing club came up to me, explained that there was a match planned, and politely asked me if I wouldn't mind moving off the relevant stretch by such-and-such time, I'd happily oblige and wish him a happy day's fishing.

If he came up to me and told me I had to move, I think that would be the start of a potentially long and tedious argument about his authority and my rights, culminating in either him using the magic word, me digging my heels in and staying put, or (most likely) me moving on grumpily having made it clear that I'm doing so because I don't want to spoil anyone's day, not because he's telling me to.

That seems like sound common sense to me. With a bit of give and take there should be room enough for everyone to enjoy the canals.

Greenie awarded :)

• Greenie 1

Old BW figures suggest gross income from fishing is less than 2% boating.

I don't think the percentage is important the contribution to the system is welcome and any implication of "I pay more than you so I am more important" is not a useful attitude.

When fuelling a boats Vs Anglers debate it should be noted that despite the impression some may give the groups are not mutually exclusive and some boaters are indeed anglers too. In fact I am pretty sure there are some boaters who are dog owning cyclists that also go fishing.

I don't think the percentage is important the contribution to the system is welcome and any implication of "I pay more than you so I am more important" is not a useful attitude.

When fuelling a boats Vs Anglers debate it should be noted that despite the impression some may give the groups are not mutually exclusive and some boaters are indeed anglers too. In fact I am pretty sure there are some boaters who are dog owning cyclists that also go fishing.

What is the case is that the anglers need the boaters. In the past when canals have ceased navigation, they quickly reached the state where no sensible angler would use them. I doubt whether the angling clubs could afford to employ weed removers on a full time basis throughout the system. It's a symbiotic relationship.

What is the case is that the anglers need the boaters. In the past when canals have ceased navigation, they quickly reached the state where no sensible angler would use them. I doubt whether the angling clubs could afford to employ weed removers on a full time basis throughout the system. It's a symbiotic relationship.

I quite agree the canals are better kept as a navigation and as a consequence better for fish and other aquatic life on the whole. The nations heritage is better preserved that way too and then enjoyable and usable by all.

Mind you there are cut-off residual pounds of old canals that do have fish in them and people do go fishing there. There was a bit of the Wilts & Berks near with my Grandmother lived when I was a child and we used to go there and fish. Nothing major there but the place was jam packed with all sorts of aquatic life it was this young boys idea of heaven.

Oh yes we do!

For 14 days, except where CaRT say for a shorter period, and water points, lock landings etc.

And I, for one, am not going to be told I can't moor somewhere by some miserable maggot dangler.

(BTW Are fishing matches a fair fight? I've yet to hear of one where the fish win)

Oh no we don't.

My understanding of the situation is that mooring is a concession when cruising, that allows you to moor where you like, in CRT water, safely and with due care, and when you like, if a suitable space is available, for whatever period of time you like - consistent with official time limits..

This concession being granted to you in return for your cruising fee.

Mooring rights might be presumed - which are often linked to the canal bank - but not to the stretch of CRT water the boat is in - CRT refer to it as 'exclusive use' - that they grant you for your home mooring.

Nobody has a right to 'exclusive use' of CRT water anywhere else.

I would rather not be associated with your description of anglers.

I find the dangling element of their hobby more offensive than the drowning part.

The half hearted attempt at lifting the pole so the dripping bait passes over the top of your head with 6" clearance seriously hacks me off.

On one occasion he left it till the very last moment and as a result hooked my dog right between the eyes.

Did he help? No he cut the line leaving me with a distraught dog and the comment "What do you expect if you let a dog on the roof?" I ended up making an emergency call to a vet on a Sunday evening.

I don't recall getting much change out of a fiver for that little lot.

I was just answering the question posed by Alan Fincher.

... and I am a dog owning cyclist that goes fishing.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

Presumably on the angling forums, they are equally scathing and dismissive about boaters. And understandably so, given some of the disgraceful attitudes displayed towards anglers in this thread.

Not true on the angling forums I follow.

Canal fishing is something of minority interest.

Interestingly, we were up in Snaresden at the top of the Ashby 2 days ago and a bloke came along tying laminated posters to trees all along the VM's. They bore the CRT logo and were "politely requesting if boaters would please not moor on these VM's on the following dates to allow for a fishing comp to take place" The wording confirmed that the fact is that fishing clubs have no authority to move you on which I think has already been established but this just servers to confirm it.

As a keen angler and boater I have studiously and rigourously counted the number of knobs in each of the "glorious wastes of time" pastimes and can exclusively reveal that the knob count is equal.

Anyone trying to trump the other with "rights" is on a wrong'un. It's normally done with courtesy and respect with due regard to the situation in hand.

Edited by mark99

Why would visitor moorings be pegged? Surely there is plenty of room along the 2000 + miles of towpath for everyone to use without disadvantaging another group of users. Visitor moorings are specifically where boater will want to be.