I've given up...

MtB

Featured Posts

Since buying the boat in Sept 2011, I haven't used the stove between late March and early October. I've lit it almost every night on board this year and bought 3 bags of Excel the other day.

Global warming has us in its grips?

That's not global warming climate change, it's just weather.

I have an Eberspacher and while it's certainly not without its flaws, it will heat the boat up (and the water) a lot quicker than the wood/coal stove. (by the time i've cleaned it, loaded it up and got it going - that is) Though I wouldn't do without either. It's always nice to have a choice depending on the situation.

My stove is currently stocked up with logs for next winter. Seems like a good place to store the logs.

Agreed :) I have a Mikuni mx40 and 2 coal fires. Ebers webastos and mikunis do have a place on canal boats. They are much maligned but it's partly to do with knowing how to use them properly!

Our bote is well insulated. However the north wind was a killer combined with torrential rain. So we had to decide between central heating via diesel boiler or cosy log fire? Or just use the vintage diesel in engine room for heat to perculate through. Of course plastic boats have a similar choice too don't they?

• Greenie 1

Our bote is well insulated. However the north wind was a killer combined with torrential rain. So we had to decide between central heating via diesel boiler or cosy log fire? Or just use the vintage diesel in engine room for heat to perculate through. Of course plastic boats have a similar choice too don't they?

I'm struggling to picture a plastic boat with a "vintage diesel engine room" Mark huh.png .... I'm off to Google that now wink.png

ETA - missing word

Edited by Bettie Boo

I have come to the conclusion that narrowboats must be cold.

Your conclusion is correct in part. Larger interior spaces will always be more difficult to heat with a couple of people's body heat alone, so of course all other things being equal a smaller interior space like yours will feel warmer.

Edited by Claude
  • Greenie 1

Agreed :) I have a Mikuni mx40 and 2 coal fires. Ebers webastos and mikunis do have a place on canal boats. They are much maligned but it's partly to do with knowing how to use them properly!

As maligned as they are our little Webasto has never once let us down in 8 years. Great little heater.

Of course we have a choice, Webasto, engine or solid fuel stove in the pub.

Or just carry on as we were because we were already toasty and warm to start with.

at what point does weather become climate change/global warming?

There isn't an exact point. Climate is just weather over a long period. How long that period is is largely a matter of opinion.

Given that the UK weather is extremely variable, situated as we are between the tropics and the Arctic, almost any weather condition is possible.

For example, on 2nd June 1975 at cricket matches in both Buxton and Chelmsford, snow stopped play. Sleet was reported as far south as Plymouth. Gleneagles (Perthshire) had a minimum temperature of -3.3 deg C, and snow lay for four days in parts of upland Scotland.

However, 7 days later, on on June 9th Achneshellach (Western Ross) recorded a maximum of 28.9 deg C, then on June 12th the temperature rose to 30 deg C at Ellbridge in Cornwall.

The weather forecasters have a habit of using the words "average" and "normal" interchangeably, although they clearly have completely different meanings.

Just from 7 days of historical data we can see that "normal" for June in Scotland is anything between -3.3 degrees and 28.9 degrees.

Nowadays almost any weather event seems to be identified as an effect of "global warming".

Of course, in the 1970's when the events described above took place, we were being warned about the dangers of "global cooling".

Of course, in the 1970's when the events described above took place, we were being warned about the dangers of "global cooling".

Yes I remember that. I even remember wondering if one day the scientific view would flip around and they'd start doom mongering about the global overheating instead.

I seem to remember the term back then being 'global dimming' though, as they were worried about all the particulates we were dumping into the atmosphere.