Hammering stakes down flush with ground

MtB

Featured Posts

Someone asked me for a photo. I think it was GoofGurl.

As title, a maureen steak with mooring line through the loop, and hammered down flush with the ground so it doesn't present a trip hazzard.

post-62-0-97254600-1463855947_thumb.jpg

(Excuse the spelling error GG.I left it in as I rather liked it haha!)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Greenie 2

It was ME MtB - thanx for taking the time to post the picclapping.gif

One question though - how do you manage to get the bloody steak back out again?huh.png

" 'im at the back", normally pound our in so it's just the loop and the bit above the loop sticking out of the ground and quite often has to tap the steak with the lump hammer to loosen it to be able to get it back out of the ground.

Ta again

B~

Only for an idiot, given the rope is lying flat on the ground too, and not on the pathway.

Yes but if not flush then a rope will be harder to see.....by an idiot?

It was ME MtB - thanx for taking the time to post the pic:clapping:

One question though - how do you manage to get the bloody steak back out again?:huh:

" 'im at the back", normally pound our in so it's just the loop and the bit above the loop sticking out of the ground and quite often has to tap the steak with the lump hammer to loosen it to be able to get it back out of the ground.

Ta again

B~

pull it out by using the mooring line

One question though - how do you manage to get the bloody steak back out again?huh.png

Ta again

B~

You can still bash on the side at the very top

Ta again

B~

By 'Bloody Steak' surely you meant to say 'Rare Steak'?

CT

• Greenie 1

Ta again

B~

Sorry Bettie, is the "steak" rare, medium or well done! biggrin.png

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

Interesting (to me :lol: ) to note that the Standall type marquee stakes are hexagonal with the eye part of the forged item so it won't break off.

I was told by someone even more anorakish than me that the hexagonal shape was so that one could pass a rod through the eye and rotate the thing so it made the hole in the ground round (apologies for poetry it wasn't intentional) after which it can be withdrawn from the earth easily.

I disagree with hammering mooring stakes right down. It's just wrong, so wrong to do that. I do not wish to pursue this issue further.

Will add a link to the proper Standall type mooring pins in a bit :)

Typos

Edited by magnetman

Standall type hexagonal mooring pins

Also used in military ground anchors.

Probably the best mooring pin in the world* :rolleyes:

http://www.handhsurplus.co.uk/product/land-rover-military-vehicle-ground-anchor-winch-plate-recovery-eye-stake-pin/

*apart from the us army ones but you need ear defenders when hammering them in...

Edited by magnetman

Standall type hexagonal mooring pins

Also used in military ground anchors.

Probably the best mooring pin in the world* :rolleyes:

http://www.handhsurplus.co.uk/product/land-rover-military-vehicle-ground-anchor-winch-plate-recovery-eye-stake-pin/

*apart from the us army ones but you need ear defenders when hammering them in...

They are listed as being 38" long meaning they are long enough to be driven through any buried HV cables. Please don't use anything that long.

OK :)

I don't hammer them in completely - usually leave a few inches for the rotation of the pin and easy lifting out.

Do you know how deep the cables are?

Would be an interesting to know :)

B~

Lol should have known it was you :D

Swing wildly at the head of it with the club hammer even though at ground level. The mud gives way as though it wasn't even there...

OK smile.png

I don't hammer them in completely - usually leave a few inches for the rotation of the pin and easy lifting out.

Do you know how deep the cables are?

Would be an interesting to know smile.png

As well as electricity cables which may be in the towpath there are definitely telecommunication optic fibre cables in many towpaths. There is a figure of 8 configuration around the UK with the GU being part of it.

The cables are laid in a sub duct within a 91mm duct or nest of ducts. These should be laid at a depth of 450mm if the contractor did his job properly. Often they were laid shallow if no one was supervising.

The utility services lay their equipment to specific depths and positions as recommended by NJUG National Joint Utilities Group guide and HAUC Highway Authorities & Utilities Committee.

Gas footway 600mm, carriageway / grass verge 750mm

Electricty: depends upon voltage but ranges from 600mm for LV to 750mm for HV.

Telecomms: footway 350mm, grass verge: 450mm, carriageway 600mm.

Optic fibre cables are laid in 2km lengths and if damaged have to be replaced in 2km lengths.

Cost for this upwards of £20k. per 2km length.

The fibres in the towpath should be laid at the rear, i.e. hedge line of the tow path

Water: mains 750mm in pavement, 900mm in carriageway.

This is what I was involved with when I worked for BT, I had to know all this.

Edited by Ray T

As well as electricity cables which may be in the towpath there are definitely telecommunication optic fibre cables in many towpaths. There is a figure of 8 configuration around the UK with the GU being part of it.

The cables are laid in a sub duct within a 91mm duct or nest of ducts. These should be laid at a depth of 450mm if the contractor did his job properly. Often they were laid shallow if no one was supervising.

The utility services lay their equipment to specific depths and positions as recommended by NJUG National Utilities Group Guide and HAUC Highway Authorities & Utilities Committee.

Gas footway 600mm, carriageway / grass verge 750mm

Telecomms: footway 350mm, grass verge: 450mm, carriageway 600mm.

Optic fibre cables are laid in 2km lengths and if damaged have to be replaced in 2km lengths.

Cost for this upwards of £20k. per 2km length.

The fibres in the towpath should be laid at the rear, i.e. hedge line of the tow path

Water: mains 750mm in pavement, 900mm in carriageway.

This is what I was involved with when I worked for BT, I had to know all this.

Thanks for that - high quality and detailed information :)

I think the answer is to tie up as you normally would and then thumb line a length of THIS

It seems cheap enough and you'd only need about 6ft on each mooring line.

That's good !!!

I just sprayed the top half of pins red you can see them unless your blind of course

Ah but this thread is about avoiding creating a trip hazard in the first place.

Spraying your trip hazard red isn't much of a solution in my opinion. In low light conditions one's colour sight changes to grey scale anyway.

Besides, what if the potential trippee is looking somewhere else (e.g. at the pretty boats instead of at the ground where he or she is walking)?

(Speeling edit.)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Just to point out that I do not think that what Ray calls high and low voltage is in any way similar to what us 12/24 volt DC types may call high and low voltage. What we may think it means probably requires something like two and three noughts on the end.