advice needed please fitting partition bulkheads

Featured Posts

HI

I'm building a narrow stud partition 1" I can do the frame work ok.The frame will be skinned with MDF and topped with T&G.

The ceiling is curved.How do I mark the MDF and T&G mark the curving contour of the roof?

sorry if it appears obvious!

many thanks

One method of obtaining the shape you need is to make a perimeter template using off cuts of ply or solid material. This needs to be full size and suitably braced so that it stays the correct shape while you use it to mark out the sheet material.

To find a curve i use a off cut of card/ply or what ever. this will be held up to the curve ( this will give a gap in the middle for your roof ) , get a block of wood a little bigger than the gap between the board edge and surface ( roof/cabin top ) a length of batten will be fine, tape a marker or pencil to one end of the block and then keeping the other end of the block against the cabin top move the block along the cabin roof so it draws the curve on the board, this will give the curve to be cut out to use as a template.

This is a very accurate way to do it, i have done this many a time when doing bulkheads on cabin cruisers.

A completely alternative suggestion, based on what I built on our boat. Why not build the bulkheads from 6" x 1" matchboard ? You will need to put a chamfer on the reverse side edge if both sides are to be visible, but that is a comparatively easy job. The advantage is that you do not have to manhandle large sheets of surfacing material, and there is no need to construct space stealing framework. Providing it is secured top and bottom it will be as rigid as a fixed bulkhead, and a door can be hung easily by fitting a section of timber along one edge of the bulkhead.

To find a curve i use a off cut of card/ply or what ever. this will be held up to the curve ( this will give a gap in the middle for your roof ) , get a block of wood a little bigger than the gap between the board edge and surface ( roof/cabin top ) a length of batten will be fine, tape a marker or pencil to one end of the block and then keeping the other end of the block against the cabin top move the block along the cabin roof so it draws the curve on the board, this will give the curve to be cut out to use as a template.

This is a very accurate way to do it, i have done this many a time when doing bulkheads on cabin cruisers.

A sheet of Hardboard is quite cheap and much rigider (good word) than cardboard. you can use it again by just chopping off the used bit each time.

A sheet of Hardboard is quite cheap and much rigider (good word) than cardboard. you can use it again by just chopping off the used bit each time.

Ditto 3mm ply.

Tony

Take a series of measurements from the floor upwards at six inch intervals and then scribe a arc between your marks, do not make it to tight a fit and rely on a cover trim to finish.

I used a sheet of hardboard I had laying about and cut it roughly then scribed a line with pencil and a block of wood. I would then transfer to a sheet of 18mm ply then clad that, do not use MDF on a boat as the inevitable damp will make it swell up.

Neil

I used a sheet of hardboard I had laying about and cut it roughly then scribed a line with pencil and a block of wood. I would then transfer to a sheet of 18mm ply then clad that, do not use MDF on a boat as the inevitable damp will make it swell up.

Neil

Depends which MDF he uses.

• 2 weeks later...

The 'joggle stick' is also known as a 'spiling stick' and is used on a 'spiling board'. I just use a bit of 2x0.5" pointed at one end and with a crochet hook shape on the other (the bit to draw round). Better explained by http://www.boat-building.org/learn-skills/index.php/en/wood/generating-the-shape-of-a-bulkhead-flagging-off/

The 'joggle stick' is also known as a 'spiling stick' and is used on a 'spiling board'. I just use a bit of 2x0.5" pointed at one end and with a crochet hook shape on the other (the bit to draw round). Better explained by http://www.boat-building.org/learn-skills/index.php/en/wood/generating-the-shape-of-a-bulkhead-flagging-off/

Thanks for posting this, a great link. I love stuff like this :)